FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJR 1300 AE
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I bought my FJR last year I checked the screws on the bag locks and they were all tight but I didn't re-Loctite them. A few days ago noticed that the lock cylinder for the top case had disappeared.

I've got a replacement and wanted to re-key it by rearranging the existing tumblers rather than grinding them down. I've done this with BMW bags and the tumblers pretty much ejected themselves from the naked cylinder once I'd remove the key.

The FJR tumblers don't seem to want to come out. I've pulled on them from the top, and pushed from the bottom, but no luck.

Is there some trick I'm missing or just not pulling/pushing hard enough?
 

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
Joined
·
43 Posts
I've never tried the FJR cylinders but they should work similar to the old bikes I've worked on. You might want to wrap your work in a rag or paper towel to keep things from flying away. Pop the slides out by pushing on the bottom of them. I used small needle-nose pliers. If the springs do launch they will hopefully, end up in the rag. Re-set the slides so that they end up flush with the key in. If you have a slide or two that end up being too short, just leave 'em out. It'll be a little less secure but shhhh... I won't tell a soul. Voila
 

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
Joined
·
2,196 Posts
If you want them to be good enough, just stick key in cylinder and then use angle grinder to grind off any part of the plates that are sticking out.
 

·
Registered
2007 FJR 1300 AE
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Following up - I just wasn't pushing/pulling hard enough. Either pushing from below (with a finger on top to keep the tumbler and spring from flying away) or pulling from above worked. Seemed to be easier after the first time the tumbler was removed. Shuffling the tumblers I found 3 of 5 fit in different locations, and since I would have had to grind down all 5 to make it work with my existing key, I decided 3 full-height tumblers would be more secure than 5 half-height tumblers (although the mechanism as a whole doesn't seem very secure).

While I had the T-10 security bit out I checked the side bags and all those screws were only finger tight. Everything is now Loctited. (y)
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top