FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im trying to find somewhere that will sell me a remote antenna for my Kenwood PMR radio, so i can mount it somewhere on my bike.
Im a real duffus when it comes to anything technical so am not taht sure what to ask for.

Can anybody help, whether it be in the UK or US.

Cheers :ale: Paul

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry Paul,

The PMR radios' "licence free" certification require them to only operate with fixed or built in areals (thus limiting their range).

Some amateur radio techs might take them apart and "re-design" the PMRs to use an external antenna but it will render the radio "illegal" (even if I doubt that the RLA will monitor it, as everybody and their granny now seem to be using them), that'll be why the shops don't sell arials for these radios.

:cry:
:ale:
:D

PS. I got the lead to my PMR coming out under the seat and a cargonet around my topbox to hold the radio, that's working fine for me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
antenna

My radio comes with a removable antenna, so would take a remote one. I ma aware of the legal issues, however the only reason i want to do the mod is that the radio body fits perfectly under the passenger seat of my FJR, however, without the antenna fitted. This is why i am asking about a remote antenna.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Antenna

A Kenwood Freetalk XL comes with a removeable antenna and there are 3 options for remote antennas for this radio. 1 is a US made Larsen ground plane antenna, and there are 2 others which are being tested by Autocom at the moment. If you want to change radios the antenna optiions will be open. (this radio sells for 240.00 US) If you can find one in the UK ask Autocom about the other available antennas. 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts