FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,316 Posts
oh shoot I've been riding around with metal screws in there for years
I think the use of plastic screws has more to do with preventing stresses around the holes that cause cracks. Most bikes have metal screws and best with a thin washer under the head. Some aftermarket windshields come with metal screws. Button heads are low profile, won't interfere with the beauty covers.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi, Not sure what year your bike is. I have a '17 and the National Cycle Vstream part number N20308. It works great. Highly recommended. For reference I am 6'0" and have a Russell Saddle which is a 1 or 2 inch increase in seat height over stock. If you are using a stock screen try the Sport/Tour Vstream.

If you are a tall person, say 6' 3" or more I have a Vstream touring screen I will ship to you for the price of shipping. The product number is N20309. It is a bit buggered up but It was much too tall for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out California Scientific FJR windscreen. I got one for my long trip last Summer.
Fantastic engineering.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,316 Posts
I had the tall V-Stream, and if you shim it 1/4" at the front bolts and 1/8" at the rear, it tilts it back such that the top is about an inch lower. More air underneath it and buffeting much reduced. Can run it all the way down if you like.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I find the best ear plugs are the yellow conical foam type ( 30db) -- when you install correctly there is very little wind noise. I can always tell when I haven't placed them in one ear correctly as you immediately hear the difference. I run a Shoei GT Air 2 - with the SL2 Sena --- with plugs I hear phone and intercom clearly but the Sena voice is faint but I am told I can turn her up somehow which I still need to find out.

I run a stock shield ( I think) -- it has FJR engraved/imprinted on one side and not very large like a touring shield would be but I bought the bike used so don't really know if stock. Its always in the lowest position except when travelling in snow so my helmet gets the wind directly. I trying to make it as close to my FJ1200 as possible from that aspect as I am used to the wind.

sc2

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi, Not sure what year your bike is. I have a '17 and the National Cycle Vstream part number N20308. It works great. Highly recommended. For reference I am 6'0" and have a Russell Saddle which is a 1 or 2 inch increase in seat height over stock. If you are using a stock screen try the Sport/Tour Vstream.

If you are a tall person, say 6' 3" or more I have a Vstream touring screen I will ship to you for the price of shipping. The product number is N20309. It is a bit buggered up but It was much too tall for me.
You don't still have this windshield do you?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just recently got my FJR and am in the same situation. The wind noise was just brutal, no matter where I put the height at. I have a full face modular helmet, and like a little breeze when it's hot out. I normally wear earbuds, unless I'm just out for a couple hour country ride. I have trouble dropping $200 ish on a touring screen, in case that's not what I wanted. So I just ordered the cheapo Chinese Laminar Lip knock off on Amazon. $41 shipped to my door. I went for a ride out in the country yesterday, WOW. What a difference. Even with the windshield in the low position, the wind noise is significantly reduced. In the High position, it is basically eliminated. Riding in the high position at around 65 MPH in the country, I could lift my face shield up and hardly any wind noise at all, and got a slight bit of breeze in the 84 deg weather. I could actually hear the tire noise as I transitioned to the different types of pavement. So, I will either go with an Aeroflow Touring screen, or just run with this fugly set up for awhile. :D

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,255 Posts
I had one of those on my Vstrom - think it cost $25. Worked very well but the transition and hardware was in my eye line.
Clothing Sleeve Gesture Font Blazer

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, that looks like the same one. I'm 5'10" and in the high position, it is right there. The top of it. Not the hardware. I can look thru or just above it, if I want. Actually, I did lower the wind screen just a smidge, so it was below eye sight, and it was still fantastic at reducing the noise. I have the FJR seat in the hi position, if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,211 Posts
The laminar lip is a piece of plastic that velcros to the windshield. They didn’t do anything for me. The mra x-creen and knockoffs (as pictured above) are more versatile. I’ve been playing with one. But I don’t find it necessary on the extra tall. The tall might be helped by it. Haven’t tried that combination yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The best shield-helmet combo out there can't protect your hearing. Use ear plugs.
I use noise cancelling earbuds with the self molding kit for a secure fit for long rides, or if I'll be on any super slabs. However, if I am just going out for a couple hour country ride, I don't wear them. Not hitting any super slabs, not really getting too much above speed limits. ATGATT. lol but not my ear buds.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use noise cancelling earbuds with the self molding kit for a secure fit for long rides, or if I'll be on any super slabs. However, if I am just going out for a couple hour country ride, I don't wear them. Not hitting any super slabs, not really getting too much above speed limits. ATGATT. lol but not my ear buds.
Curious what kind of earbuds and self molding kit?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Curious what kind of earbuds and self molding kit?
any earbuds, but don't think Bluetooth would work. But IDK. Insert earbuds, mix the silicone up, press it in, all around in the ear and around the earbuds. Once dry, the earbuds are sealed into the mold. I've used these for many years. On my 3rd set. No match for the expensive custom molded ones, but works for me.
I use these self molding kits from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP0...locphy=9014986&hvtargid=pla-434804472143&th=1

·
Registered
78 Posts
any earbuds, but don't think Bluetooth would work. But IDK. Insert earbuds, mix the silicone up, press it in, all around in the ear and around the earbuds. Once dry, the earbuds are sealed into the mold. I've used these for many years. On my 3rd set. No match for the expensive custom molded ones, but works for me.
I use these self molding kits from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP0...locphy=9014986&hvtargid=pla-434804472143&th=1
I use that stuff as earplugs! They work phenom ally until they starting to hurt where they push on the outer edge of the ear... ~ 2 hours.

·
Super Moderator
3,953 Posts
I wear hearing protection even when mowing the lawn. A couple of hours of overpressure on the ear can cause long term damage. My tinnitus has gone from REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE to a multi-tonal REE(ree)REE(ree). I no longer enjoy any meal with others at places with lots of chatter or TVs in the place because, while I can hear them talking, I can't make out what they are saying.

I only WISH someone would have bugged me more over the years to NOT blow it off.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts