Fjrowners.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The windshield on the FJR manages to redirect all the turbulent air right into my helmet area, which makes for a lot of wind noise, and raising it to the higher position only makes it worse. I know super tall windshields that redirect all the wind above the rider's head are popular, but I'd like to still be able to get some air flow in the summer. Is there any good way to reduce the wind noise without completely blocking all wind or completely removing the windshield? I already wear ear plugs but it would still be nice to reduce noise, especially when using an intercom. I've ridden sport bikes and even naked bikes that make for less wind noise because they don't direct all the turbulent air up into my helmet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I find that fiddling with the height of the windshield can help with the wind noise some, but I have a Vstream shield. I have never ridden with a stock shield. If I get my foam ear plugs in correctly, I get no wind noise. I can just barely hear the engine, with 2-bros exhaust. Getting those foamies in correctly is more of an art than a science. Sometimes I think I have them in and one, or both, will pop out and I have to stop and start over. The ear plugs don't interfere with the music from the Cardo.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Some people have shimmed the windshield screws with washers so that their windshield lays flatter. Some people have cut them shorter.

If you ride with a full-face helmet, there are collars you can put on the bottom that will cut down on the wind noise coming in from the bottom.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My question is what helmet do you have? It has to do a lot with the helmet and venting, and then the aerodynamics of the helmet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I forgot to mention that I have a Shoei Neotech and that I have blocked the top air vent with a piece of duct tape. Not the coolest looking, but I found, by raising up the face shield that, even with the vent closed, that air pushing against it caused a whistling noise. Kind of like blowing into a cartridge case, I guess. If the foregoing wasn't clear, what I meant was that with the face shield up the wind noise wasn't there, while with it down it was loud, even with the vent closed.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
The stock screen is a joke. The Yamaha touring screen is superb. I have a Cee Bailey that I use when it’s really cold.

That said, earplugs are a must with any shield/helmet combination.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
There is a specific method to installing earplugs properly. I have posted it before.

When inserted properly the end of the plug does not stick out farther than your tragus.

also a cleaner airstream is quieter. Some have cut the stock screen sorter for better airflow in the summer and less noise because your helmet is in a solid stream of air.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/mining/content/earplug.html

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a little more information on what I've already tried:

I already wear ear plugs and I've done a bunch of experimentation with which ones I use, how I insert them, etc. When I get them to seat properly, they do a decent job of cutting out what I hear, but that includes the sound coming from my Cardo which has limited volume. Certain apps or songs have rather low volume that I can't hear at all when I have the wind noise combined with the ear plugs. It also has to do a lot of noise filtering when I speak so people can have trouble hearing me.

I had a Vstream windshield on my first gen FJR but I took it off for the summer because it blocks too much wind. Riding without any windshield at all was nice and quieter, but the air had a tendency to lift my visor at high speeds which I did not like, so I went back to stock as a compromise. I also tried a puig windshield on my third gen, but it was louder than stock and the optics of it were terrible.

Shimming the windshield to different angles sounds like it will be worth a shot. I'll try it both steeper and less steep. If neither of those satisfy me I might get out a saw and start experimenting with shorter windshields. I guess that will mean sacrificing some weather protection too, unfortunately, but it may be worth a shot.

I've tried a few helmets. My Shoei Qwest was the worst. The HJC CL-17 was still pretty loud but I could live with it if only there were recesses for speaker so they weren't pressed into my ears. I'm using a Shark Spartan 1.2 now, which is a nice improvement, and I have noticed the vents change the noise.

I've seen some bikes with an extra piece of plastic on the tip of the windshield that doesn't really increase its height any. Do those help smooth out the air so it is less noisy up at the helmet?

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I switched from the Yamaha Touring to the V-Stream mid-height. Seems to be a slight improvement. Definitely creates a bubble of calmer air at the helmet area.

·
Premium Member
7,742 Posts
Shimming the windshield to get more air under it will reduce turbulence, but these days, I'm a fan of deflectors as well. Can actually ride without earplugs, but I don't. Inexpensive deflectors available from China to try.
Gen3 redesigned the front cowl to allow air under the windshield.... shim it even more and you will see a difference.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Just to add to this a bit,

If you decide to shim things add the shims under the metal brackets that the windshield mounts to and not between the windshield itself and the metal brackets it attaches to. And never replace the plastic windshield screws with metal ones, it is a safety deal so that the plastic screws shear off in an accident allowing the windshield to come off in one piece instead of break and gut you as you go over it.

I think I have 2 washers in the lower screws that flattens the windshield a bit and gives me a minor improvement.

Also with helmets modulars tend tend to be much louder than non-modulars and chin curtains generally make things quieter. My current Skorpion 3000gt is much quieter than my previous Nolan but I wouldn’t call it quiet. Running with the Yamaha touring windshield in the full down position is it’s quietest position with a clean, full airflow across my helmet. Running with the windshield in any of the up positions requires I keep the lower chin vent on my helmet closed to keep things a bit quieter, and depending on the cross winds may require I keep the top vent closed as well.

Interestingly when I tried my old HJC non-modular it was relatively quiet, not completely but close. You could ride w/o ear plugs but I wouldn’t recommend it. I would like to find a modular that’s as quiet as my old HJC but haven’t found it yet.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I agree with comments here. The best lesson to learn is that a windshield that is fairly vertical has air “tumbling” off the top lip. That’s why it’s often quieter with a windshield all the way down. As others have said, changing the angle helps also.

I have also learned that 95% of the wind rumbling from the helmet is just behind your ears from the bottom. I’ve found that opening and closing vents makes very little difference, although on some helmets I suppose it does. Except in the winter when I’m wearing a neck gator I have found no practical way to stop the noise I just described.

It took me a long time to find ear plugs I liked. I finally got my ENT office to make me custom molded plugs. They are not really any quieter than any other type of plugs that seal properly, but they are a **** of a lot more comfortable and easier to use.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've seen some bikes with an extra piece of plastic on the tip of the windshield that doesn't really increase its height any. Do those help smooth out the air so it is less noisy up at the helmet?
I put a MRA X-creen Sport on my Cee Bailey reverse flip shield. It is situated so that the X-creen is in front of but only slightly higher than the Cee Bailey. It shoots the air higher over my head without restricting direct vision. It's a definite improvement but not perfect and YMMV. I also use triple flange tips on my Etymotic HF-5 earbuds to hear my Cardo Packtalk Slim. I had taken the X-creen off for a trip once and promptly put it back on when I returned home.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Shimming the windshield to get more air under it will reduce turbulence, but these days, I'm a fan of deflectors as well. Can actually ride without earplugs, but I don't. Inexpensive deflectors available from China to try.

Gen3 redesigned the front cowl to allow air under the windshield.... shim it even more and you will see a difference.
Gen 3 also has a big old wind tunnel, and 2 side tunnels under the lip of the fairing above the instruments. In the winter a big ol stream of cold air comes thru there so I block it with a piece of foam. If it comes thru in the winter it also comes thru in the summer, to reduce back pressure I assume and cool the rider.

Same with helmet vents. Want to know if your helmet is venting air? Go for a ride on a 35 degree day and open the vents. If the top of your head feels cold air, it's passing air... winter and summer (even if it doesn't feel like it in the summer)

Reactions: Little Joe

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The distance of your head to the dash is highly important also. On my old bandit with a double bubble screen, I could move my head back slightly and get a roar like a jet engine.

You might find leaning slightly closer to the windshield will help.

BTW with properly installed foam plugs I can hear myself swallow louder than the wind noise.

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
248 Posts
The distance of your head to the dash is highly important also. On my old bandit with a double bubble screen, I could move my head back slightly and get a roar like a jet engine.
You might find leaning slightly closer to the windshield will help.
BTW with properly installed foam plugs I can hear myself swallow louder than the wind noise.
Same was with my '01 FZ-1. Luckily the "natural" riding position for me was the quiet zone with it's DB W/S.

I prefer the stock W/S on my FJR. In the low state of rest, it puts the airflow right at chest & neck area which I want for use with my Corsair X, X-14 and new Shark Race R Pro. With earplugs installed ( yes properly Mike ! ), hardly any wind or other noise. With it about half and higher, the air noise does return a bit, but for me, is tolerable.
My FJR came with a CeeBailey, Yami touring and some V Steam thing. For me. all were like barn doors and clear slabs of buffet and rumble creators.
Any and all wind just buffeted and rattled around once past those screens, regardless of positioning of each screen or which seats I was using. Never found any acceptable smooth flow of air on any of those aftermarket ones, so sold them along.

Reactions: mobilemike

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And never replace the plastic windshield screws with metal ones, it is a safety deal so that the plastic screws shear off in an accident allowing the windshield to come off in one piece instead of break and gut you as you go over it.
oh shoot I've been riding around with metal screws in there for years

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have found the biggest culprit to helmet noise is the drop down (internal sunvisor). There is a BIG difference to wind noise at you ear . . I tried the same helmets with and without (when buying new, vs your old one). Its pretty difficult find a helmet without the dropdown visor, and the convenience is hard to forgo.

The quietest set up I have found for a shield is the stock small screen with a deflector added to it that you can change angle to suit. This setup is colder in cold weather so you have to make a choice. Be warm and noisy or quiet and cold.

Ive tried shimming OEM touring screen- Absolutely worst for me
OEM touring screen okay down all the way but severe buffeting unless 100% fully up.
Med V stream better but still bad, is the one I use in cold weather.

My DR 650 is by far the quietest for helmet wind noise. Too cold when temp drop though. LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts