FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my bike it had a set of BT020's fitted. I find these fine but would consider changing and am looking for ideas.
Thanx

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Hi and welcome, Speedy. Tyres are like oil - everyone has their favourites, and their opinions; but tyre choice is also influenced by what sort of riding you do, and what sort of rider you are. Give us a few clues and you'll get better info, or otherwise do a search on tyres and you'll find enough reading and info to keep you busy for a week. :ale:

Me - I like BT014's, but wear them out in 5 to 6,000k's. BT020's good, last about 10,000k's; Metz I didn't like; currently running Avons which are fine (but the only punctures I've had are on Avons?) but take lots of weight to balance etc, etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tyre Choice

Hi Speedy,

My '03 ABS FJR had Metz on as standard, first rear lasted 8 000k's, first front lasted 10 000k's, next rear lasted 5 000k's. [Throttle hand was getting frisky]. I changed the front to 020's first and then the rear. I have since done 12 000k's on front and 8 000k's on rear. I am leaving for Oudtshoorn from Durban on 04/04 and have decided to put 020's on again as I was quite happy with mileage and roadholding wet and dry. My riding style can best be described as "some cruise, some blast". I cannot comment on other brands as I have not tried them.

Good luck with the choice as it is one that will either please or pain you depending on your descision.

Cheers, Johan

·
Registered
177 Posts
@ speedy - My FJR came with Metzeler MEZ4, I thought they were not a bad tyre and did a few trips to Europe on them. Then I changed them for Bridgestone 020's. Only then did I realise how bad the Metz were in the wet!
My previous bike (Honda CBR1000F) came with (worn) 020's and I changed them for Michelin MacAdam 90's. Really hard wearing but absolutely shite in the wet. almost ruined a eurotrip by slowing us down so much in the rain (no confidence). Having said that I think I threw the rear away at 11,000 miles coz I was fed up looking at it, not that it was worn out.
In my limited experience of tyres, 020's are the best all rounder that I have tried. My mate, a motorcycle tyre dealer, would not fit anything but 020's, on his ZZR1200 (010's if you want all out grip and don't give a shit about mileage)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Tyres, like oil........, is extremely subjective and in this case depends on rider ability etc.

A helluva lot of owners on this site prefer 020's - with good reason, coupled with their riding style/ability and general use of the machine.

So depends what type of rider you are speedy - if you are a general rider with some blasts round the twisties now and again, go for the 020's. Also, if you tend to ride in the wet. These tyres were designed for heavy sport touring bikes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I noticed my 020's cupping after 4k miles.
But other than that, rear wear is fine and holds rather well on dry warm twisties in Southern California.

I tried researching all the tire posts in this forum and found arguments for and against all tires out there. :?

It seems the best thing to do is to wear out as many different types in as short a time possible and realise your own conclusions.

try searching for 'tires' the American way. You may see more discussions.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My first FJR originally had Metz Z4s which were utter rubbish, especially in the wet. Changed to the Z6's as soon as they brought them out and found them to be the absolute opposite. Went through several pairs before trying a couple of Pirelli Diabolo Stradas, and the bike currently has some 020's on it.

Next change will probably see the bike back on Z6's as for me their wet handling is excellent, and they last quite well before the handling starts to go off. The Stradas seemed to square off a bit quicker, and the fronts were a bit too prone to tramlining after they had a few miles on them. The 020's would be 2nd choice, but whatever has been on the bike I've never managed to get more than 5-6000 out of a rear.

As the others say, tyres are a personal choice, try a few different makes and see what works for you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In this short discussion I can't believe that the Avon Azaro AV54-ST and AV46-ST tires haven't come up. When I had worn out my BT020's there was a long discussion on the old board about the Avon's. I bought the pair and love them. Approximately 5500 miles on the set and not even near the wear limits. I use these tires for Las Vegas city traffic and the open mountain twisties through death valley and east central california without any major issues. Rear is wearing nicely the entire width of the tread (I have about a 3/8 inch chicken strip).

In cold weather (30-40F) riding the rear can break loose with moderate accelleration but that soon resolves after a few miles of riding. This can happen with most any tire though since the material becomes more rigid when cold.

They were highly recommended to me and I pass on this high recommendation. Unless a new revolution in tires occurs before these wear out, I will definitely be purchasing these again.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Everyone,
Hated the Metz's that came stock on my 05. Slid all over the place! Especially the front. Had no confidence in them at all.
Switched to Avons based on what I read here at this forum. LOVE THEM!
What a difference! Feels like I got off a Harley and onto a real bike. Great mileage as well. Have about 4500 miles on them now and should get another 2000 more at this rate. By the way, I have a heavy throttle hand and I weigh about 250lbs so these tyres get a real wokout! Highly recommended.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Funny how, in general, the US riders all recommend Avon and hate the metz and the EU generally have the complete opposite opinion.

Must have something to do with the difference in riding, roads and such.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys,
I am a commuter rider to and from work at about 80mph on the secondary roads and have a real blast at the weekends. Luckily I get on well with the local law enforcement.

Thanks for all your info on tyres and I will delve a little deeper into the web for more info.

Speedy

:p javascript:emoticon(':p')
Razz

·
Registered
168 Posts
afterburn said:
Funny how, in general, the US riders all recommend Avon and hate the metz and the EU generally have the complete opposite opinion.

....it may well have something to do with The front Metz. coming apart at the seams...bursting carcasses. This has happenned to enough riders (thank Kryst nobody got killed) to scare the hell out of any would be buyers. Personally. I swithched to the Avons after my stock "stones" wore out (and cupped like a bastard). So far, I gotta say: GREAT TIRES ! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
192 Posts
tires

Funny, no one mentioned Michelin. I'm running the Pilot Roads and they seem to be very good. They required very little weight to balance them and if the motorcycle tires are as good as the car tires you can't find better. I haven't had them long enough know how long they will last.

·
Registered
141 Posts
shuswaper said:
afterburn said:

....it may well have something to do with The front Metz. coming apart at the seams...bursting carcasses. This has happenned to enough riders (thank Kryst nobody got killed) to scare the hell out of any would be buyers. Personally. I swithched to the Avons after my stock "stones" wore out (and cupped like a bastard). So far, I gotta say: GREAT TIRES ! :mrgreen:
Yeah, but that too only happened in the US (and at only a handful of riders at that), never in the EU where a lot more people ride metzies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've done 2 sets of Bridgestones and am half way thru a set of Avons.
I've witnesses the Metz belt failure.

I'll be sticking with the Avons.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well,

I was a huge fan of BT020s on my VFR until I fianly tried Pirelli Diablo Stradas. They were so much better on that bike that I've got them on my FJR in place of the part work BT020s it came with.

A year and 4500 KM later they still feel good. I think the front feels better than the 020 did.

For what its worth, I understand its basically the same tyre as the Metz Z6 which is said to be a world apart from the Z4 that was so unpopular.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bike came with bridgestones...since gone to metz z6..great in rain...really inspires confidence...predictable in dry as well....no problems so far... then again maybe the pavement is different in Canada then the U.S. :?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Today I went to see my -06 babe at my dealer. I checked that I had Battlax BT 020 as standard stock tyres. Beside my babe, there was another -06 (exactly the same as mine), but it had Metzeler Roadtec Z6 as standard stock tyres.

Now I'm just wondering:
1. Should I be lucky or disappointed?
2. Why on earth Yam is delivering bikes with 2 different tyres to same market?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts