FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is father's day and my lovely wife :mrgreen: has offered to buy me a new subscription to a motorcycle magazine in honor of the day. Problem is I'm not sure which magazine has the most useful information for an FJR owner.

Any recommendations? :?

Weekender.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm sure you'll get dozens of opinions, but I like the following:

Rider: gives good articles regarding sport touring/touring/cruiser/sport bikes. More focused on those whole like to go on long rides as opposed to the usual crotch-rocket magazines. They also write about various rides throughout the US and internationally as well. Most fitting for an FJR owner I think.

Motorcyclist: Also good - geared more towards sport riding but they review all kinds of bikes as well.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mate....forget about the bikes......

get a subsciption to "PLAYBOY" :ale:

·
Registered
172 Posts
moose said:
Mate....forget about the bikes......

get a subsciption to "PLAYBOY" :ale:
I likey that thought--I came home last week to find a mail item, 12 issues of Playboy for $12.00 :shock: :D wifey was not so amused, something to the effect--you got your motorcycle :twisted: look in her eyes, yea, but, but ---- :twisted: :twisted: I got the message. Besides I get more riding time on my bike these days than anything else :mrgreen: , so my motorcycle magazines these days seem to be read w/same attention Playboy did 20 years ago, my how times change.

I like Road Runner and Rider, both good subscriptions for FJR riders.

·
Registered
260 Posts
mags

I take Sport Rider, Motorcyclist, Cycle World, Rider and MCN. If you check around, all but the last can be had for aout $10/year. Ian, Iowa

·
Registered
143 Posts
Cycle Mag

Rider and Road Runner focus mostly on Riding motorcycles. Motorcyclist and Cycle World focus mostly on numbers/statistics. You might consider getting Rider for the stories and riding info, and getting Motorcyclist or Cycle World if you want to know which bike has more power, less weight, top speed, etc. I get all four, but if I had too chose one it would be rider by far. Personally knowing the numbers is great, but it doesn't help me much on the road. Rider is the most useful for people who ride much.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I get Rider, Cycle World, American Cyclist (AMA Member), but I ALWAYS read Motorcycle Consumer News first and leave the rest for later.

·
Registered
69 Posts
magazine

Motorcycle consumer news is the first mag you should get. From there take your pick depending on the style of riding or bike interest. Everett

·
Registered
21 Posts
+1 on MCN

IMHO, if you get one of the other mags there is no sense in getting the others since they all seem to mirror each others content each month. I find Motorcyclist and cycle world to be almost perfect clones and the articles are generally all fluff and no substance.

Here in Texas, USA we have a mag called Ride Texas that is really cool, informative, and in every issue has places described in it that I could ride to today!

·
Registered
192 Posts
cycle mags

You're not going to find a lot about the older FJR but of course there are article on the 06. I get Motorcyclist, Cycle World and the best one is TWO. Even though it's written in England most of the bikes are the same and it's much more interesting to read.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a subscription to Cycle World and Motorcyclist, they seem to at least cover sport touring bikes on some level.

Here's a pretty cool deal though, the website http://www.mcreports.com/ has compiled quite a few reviews on the FJR that you can get either in printed format, pdf file or even CD (I think). Anyway, it's like something around $20 for 17 reports. Thats allot of good reading!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh yeah, one other is RIDE magazine, which is printed in the UK. I usually pick one up periodically at Barnes and Nobel, not sure if you can get a subscription delivered here in the USA?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts