FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just installed my rear wheel and can see a 3/16" gap between the washer and swing arm, I just don't remember that gap before I removed the wheel?
Checked one YT video and the guy also ended up with the same gap, but I wonder if any of you can snap some pics to confirm.
Here is a picture of my completed rear end, axle torqued to 90 ft lbs and the wheel is spinning freely. Also the spacing between the tire and swingarm is about the same on both sides.
I also made a sketch of what I ended up with.
20210716_123923.jpg

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,704 Posts
Looks good to me. The axle goes through the swingarm on the right side to sandwich all the pieces from the washer and on to the left side. When torqued up (90 is too much IMHO and unnecessary, go 80), you simply tighten down the pinch bolt. Gap may vary slightly with different swingarms/variations.
Same deal happens on the front axle if you look at it.....

Reactions: Damir

·
Registered
430 Posts
As requested: a photo. Yours looks good to me too but man is it clean! The dirt on mine helps hide the "gap"!

Haynes
20210716_210701.jpg

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As requested: a photo. Yours looks good to me too but man is it clean! The dirt on mine helps hide the "gap"!
Haynes
Thx for the picture Haynes, it will get dirty tomorrow, if I don't get lost in the smoke coming from BC :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
The two washers, brake side and nut side, are not the same size. The fit might be better if the thicker one is on the brake side. I don't think you cant tell from the FSM.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The two washers, brake side and nut side, are not the same size. The fit might be better if the thicker one is on the brake side. I don't think you cant tell from the FSM.
True it's not very clear, but the bigger washer fits perfectly on the pumpkin, and a smaller one also fits on the brake bracket without overlap

·
Registered
2008 Fjr1300, 2012 CBF1000
114 Posts
Just installed my rear wheel and can see a 3/16" gap between the washer and swing arm, I just don't remember that gap before I removed the wheel?
Checked one YT video and the guy also ended up with the same gap, but I wonder if any of you can snap some pics to confirm.
Here is a picture of my completed rear end, axle torqued to 90 ft lbs and the wheel is spinning freely. Also the spacing between the tire and swingarm is about the same on both sides.
I also made a sketch of what I ended up with.
View attachment 80221 View attachment 80223 View attachment 80224
View attachment 80227
I've always installed the axle flush with the outside of the swingarm. Yours is recessed quite a bit which accounts for the larger gap on the inside of the swingarm (I think).

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,704 Posts
I've always installed the axle flush with the outside of the swingarm. Yours is recessed quite a bit which accounts for the larger gap on the inside of the swingarm (I think).
If you forced the right side to be flush, you're not supposed to. Let it seek it's own depth before snugging up the pinch bolt. Damir has a larger gap due to his swingarm being wider or used the thin washer on the right side, or both. Mine was always slightly underflush using the correct washer.

Reactions: Haynes
1 - 9 of 9 Posts