FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I missed the recent wilbers bulk buy, and I am not sure if I would want those anyways?..so just an obvious question....

Are there any other shocks that guys are using, and have found them really good for the FJR?
Thanks

John.

·
Super Moderator
3,954 Posts
Ohlin, Penske, Works, and Wilbers all seem to get good reviews. Several people I "trust" have gone in enough detail that they were in over my head while explaining that, for many riders, the performance/cost differences between a Works and Ohlin wouldn't be exploited by most riders.

Sort of like a person with $50 worth of raquetball skill buying a $300 racket. The poser value is high, but they still only use $50 worth of the racket.

My unskilled understanding would put the above shocks in the following greater-to-lesser listing.

1. Ohlin
2. Penske/Wilbers
3. Works

But even the Works is much better than OEM, is rebuildable, and does a really good job while keeping costs down through the use of tech that's a little less "high zoot" than the Ohlin without adversely affecting performance for about 99% of street riders.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm over here in Australia, so I don't think Penske shocks will be around...Wilburs etc, I dunno..but Ohlins are here of course. :)
Thanks for the pointers guys, I will investigate further.
John.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
JGM - I think Wilbers are available here in Aus (importer/distributor in SA IIRC). When I bought mine in the first group buy I recall pricing it locally. FWIW I saved around 30%.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
david1300 said:
JGM - I think Wilbers are available here in Aus (importer/distributor in SA IIRC). When I bought mine in the first group buy I recall pricing it locally. FWIW I saved around 30%.
CRIKEY!..never heard of them over here...I will look around some more then, David....thanks for that, mate.
John.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Heaps David..:)
Question...what is the model that everyone seems to have bought for their FJR's again...I read it and now I can't find the bloody link anywhere. I think people settled on two models?

John.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rear Shock

I have fitted an Ohlins on my 02 model. Tightens up the handling stops that saggy soggy wallow in hi speed sweepers when two up with full lugage. Remote preload adjuster makes life real easy for spring adjustment :D
Regards
Esme

·
Registered
2,826 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Rear Shock

Esmerelda said:
I have fitted an Ohlins on my 02 model. Tightens up the handling stops that saggy soggy wallow in hi speed sweepers when two up with full lugage. Remote preload adjuster makes life real easy for spring adjustment :D
Regards
Esme
Esme, what model Ohlins did you put on. (Might be different down here, but it'll give me a ball park model to look for. :)
John.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
woody said:
If you are looking for the cheaper but does the job end of the market why dont you try Hagon.
Quite a few members are have got them and very good.

Here a link as there one for sale on ebay I know you are down under but at lest you can see what they look like.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8034433236&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:UK:1

They maybe on sale where you are.
Shish...I'm learning how much I "did'nt" know about shocks today!..
Hagon!..never heard of them either Woody...:)
I'll look around down here and see what pops up...thanks for the ebay link to, mate.
John.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I've got a Hagon and its the relatively cheap but certainly cheerful option. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles like some of the others, but it works well enough for me, whether the bike is riden solo or 'slightly' overloaded when we go camping. Copes with a trailer as well. 8)
So far I've put about 80,000 miles on one and apart from having the seals replaced at 40,000 miles (which they did under warranty) it's still working fine.
Whichever make you go for, then the remote preload is well worth having.

woody, does this shock look at all familiar?
Could be the winner dropped out, but if you look at his feedback there are no withdrawn bids, so there might be a subtle odour of the sea about this one.

----edit----
And now the one in your link is no longer for sale :?

·
Registered
721 Posts
£228 for a used shock, don't people ever check the new prices before bidding? Hagon lists a new one at £255.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any of you guys with the new rear shock found any probs with the front suspension...ie - have to buy springs etc to compesate?
Or is the OEM front suspension ok with the new rear shock?

John.

·
Registered
47 Posts
jgm_fjr said:
david1300 said:
CRIKEY!..never heard of them over here...I will look around some more then, David....thanks for that, mate.
John.
CRIKEY Hehe, they not only say it, they write it. Who'da thunk? :lol:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ohlins Model

John
I fitted the Ohlins YA052. This unit has a remote spring preload adjuster and independant compression and rebound damping adjustment. I found the standard front suspension okayish with fresh oil and a bit of playing arround with the adjusters. Would recommend you make up some 10 mm preload spacers if you like to ride hard. In my humble opinion, this setup still offers sports touring comfort without the harshness of some after market springs. :shock:
Regards
Esme

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Was having a good look under the 06 FJR at the London Bike Show, and with all the electronic gubbins for the gear shift, abs etc there's not a lot of room on the AE to fit different shocks. They even had one control box fitted behind the shock (just where all the crap collects) :shock:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts