FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten a new rear shock for my 2013 and have a question that doesn't seem to be dealt with in the service manual.

I've put the cables in their brackets, (be warned that they didn't come that way) and adjusted all the slack out that I can. Yet, screw adjustments at the bottom of the photo are as far out as they'll go, and I still have significant slack at the top of the photo. The lever works, but I'm worried that at some point the cable will jump off the track. Short of putting some washers in, I'm stumped.

Is it ok as is, or should I attempt a fix?

thx

Bicycle Hand Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it functions, you should be fine. It's for the preload, so low risk if it fails, though a pain to fix it.
Thanks for the response. Yeah, that was my thought. The worst that would happen would be if I got stuck with a setting I don't want 2000 miles from home.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,764 Posts
It defaults to SOFT, but the play doesn't look terrible to me..... it certainly can't change unless you flip it to HARD, and what that does is lock out the second spring up top.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
2,510 Posts
It defaults to SOFT, but the play doesn't look terrible to me..... it certainly can't change unless you flip it to HARD, and what that does is lock out the second spring up top.
Locks it out? Looked like it just increased the preload on the top spring. Might have to take a closer look at the one I have on the bench.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah. I know it can't change on its own. I was more worried about the cable being so slack it'd come off the track. But that wouldn't be a catastrophe. It's just be a one-position shock. :)

Thanks . . . I've got a trip coming up soon. I'll probably wait until I get back.to put it on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts