FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Nats, any idea how that thing fastens to the fender ? A flat on the Highway could be impossible to remove with that in place, just depends on how it connects.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,212 Posts
Nats, any idea how that thing fastens to the fender ? A flat on the Highway could be impossible to remove with that in place, just depends on how it connects.
Doublestick tape and a screw. Not really designed to be removed

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300
4 Posts
I have the same situation.

You won't find the part in the parts system. It's on national backorder with an ETA of late January 2023. Most parts resellers list the fender around $120. Note that not all Gen II are the same. 2006/7 are different. And then a change again in 2015, I believe. Some used parts dealers on ebay mistakenly list that a fender fits all Gen II. They are similar, but the lean angle sensor location changed, for one. The correct part is 3P6-21611-10-00. I originally bought a fender for 2006/7 and, while very similar, it will not fit around ABS, and has no mount for lean angle sensor. I found a new OEM on ebay for $90 - but it cost me for shipping as it is shipping coast-to-coast..

New to me 2009, previous owner cut off the fender right below the tag. It is a nice clean cut. Not a hack job. First morning ride with a little moisture on road, tag, light, and my jacket had spray all over. In a dry climate this might not be an issue. This was my experience. Others may differ. I want it back to OEM. Don't want piece of incongruous garbage can plastic somehow fastened to back.

As far as removal/installation. It should not be too bad. I'll try to take pics. Going to tackle this or next weekend.
1. You have to remove side covers and seats
2. Remove inner left side cover
3. unplug ECU, remove seat riser and tray (with ECU) under
4. I think you can do it without removing rear cowl, but I will remove.
5. You will need a star security bit to remove seat lock key tumbler
6,. remove all cables from cable clamps
7. Remove lean angle sensor
8. Disconnect master cylinder from mounting tab.
8. Remove maybe 4 pushpins and 4 bolts
9. Fender should drop or twist out fairly easily

You'll need to transfer (unless you buy a used one with all components) cable clamps, plugs for screws, tag light, tag mount, refelector, seat release, All easy. Rubber straps for tool kits and other items are riveted in. 3 straps, 6 rivets. You'll need a rivet gun and 1/8" rivets with 1/4" grip. I think. Holes are pre drilled. Mud flap to protect shock will need to be transferred as well.
Install, is reverse. Probably a couple of hour job.
Review service manual for fastener locations. I found nothing in Haynes or Yamaha where there is a detailed procedure to do this.

Also for those that complain "Partszilla sucks", "I have had good luck with Boats.net". These two and a couple of others are all the same company. I had a part delivered with preprinted packing tape that had three companies printed on it. I don't recall the others. May have been PartsPak. It was one of the well known online sources. And they rely on the same few Yamaha warehouses for parts (as does every dealer, and other reseller). If you find a dealer has hard-to-find part actually in stock, on the shelf, you are lucky. Most will only stock late-model, common parts. Anyway, I digress.

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300
4 Posts
Also....

I'll have two fenders available. Free if you are local to Southeastern Massachusetts, or elsewhere if you pay shipping and I have a box (I will have one box!). Shipping will not be cheap.

1. 2006 2007 gen II in very good condition, clean. Uncut. I believe it has most fasteners and tag frame, tag light attached.
2. 2008-2015 gen II (non ES) also in very good condition, but cut just below where a standard US tag bottom would be. This one will not have fasteners, as it will be the donor for my new one. This would be for someone who wants the cut back look,.

I'll post them in the appropriate section, with pictures when I start this endeavor.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts