FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new to me 2011 FJR. Love it. Always wanted one. The previous owner cut off the portion of the rear fender and put a license plate bracket just under the rear lights, so now water comes off the tire and hits my back. it would be nice if I could find something that would keep that from happening
I know if I dig hard enough I could find a whole new fender, but expensive, and looks like a pain to replace. My question is, has anyone encountered this and remedied with some sort of extension that would maybe attach to the license plate bolts and come down a bit offering a bit more protection from debris. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,210 Posts
If you don't want to go to the trouble of replacing the whole fender, you could add a hugger - assuming you don't run a car tire.

But considering the cost ($150), I'd just replace the fender - which looks like a huge pain in the rear. But there are some on ebay used that would not be all that expensive

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
I don't see how a hugger will keep water off your back. I think they are just cosmetic.

Reactions: Haynes

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,210 Posts
I don't see how a hugger will keep water off your back. I think they are just cosmetic.
They direct the spray out and down rather than up.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,615 Posts
I don't think a hugger helps much either..... PO did a fender trimming on my Versys, it has a built-in hugger. It really just keeps crap off the rear shock. Crap flies straight up the rear end. I'm looking for a used fender, I'll cut a section off and extend mine.

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
They direct the spray out and down rather than up.
But the spray is flinging up off the tire at the back end before it ever reaches the hugger.

There was one on my FZ1. It didn't do squat after I eliminated the rear fender. I have a pic somewhere of a streak of "mud" right up the middle of the back of my jacket after a ride.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,210 Posts
I don't understand how you get water on your back unless you are sitting on the back seat with no top box ;)

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,210 Posts
Reactions: Virginia Rider

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you can't find one online you might want to check out a scrapyard near you , air dams for cars are the same material , I'm sure you could buy or make one up easily .

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
I don't understand how you get water on your back unless you are sitting on the back seat with no top box ;)
The vortex created as you ride. Pulls the water up and forward just like the rear window of an SUV. It may not be as bad on an FJR because of the longer tail section (passenger seat and top box in a lot of cases). My Gen 2 FZ1 was probably half the size of the FJR's. ;)

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
208 Posts
I hate when I am interested in a used FJR and the prior owner has cut the rear fender. Deal killer. Grrrr.....

I would get a replacement and take the time to install it.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I don’t remember the fender being all that hard to install when I changed my subframe years ago, ,, but that was more than a day or 2 ago so it could be a real bear !🤔🤔😳😜.

Seriously though, as I recall, the only thing that I remember that was difficult was getting the ABS unit remounted. You can get used fenders on flea bay for not a lot, set aside a weekend and an ample supply of adult beverages and you’ll have a new fender mounted.

I will add that like Chuck above I removed the “tab” that the reflector was on because it was a royal pain to remove and install the rear tire with it in place, i remounted the reflector on the bottom of the fender and quite frankly if I didn’t tell you, you’d never know what I did.

Did it increase the water spray up the back in the rain ? Dunno ! But I’ll add that the FJR throws a lot of spray anyway compared to my previous g-wings, I just wear a rainsuit in the rain,,, if I remember !

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,210 Posts
what's the advantage of using "car" tires? I can see one disadvantage (lean angle)?
First week on the internet? :ROFLMAO:
Been discussed a million times, do a search and you will have plenty of reading and learning to do.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,955 Posts
what's the advantage of using "car" tires? I can see one disadvantage (lean angle)?
Completely wrong. As said, a quick search will give days upon days of learning & reading.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Reactions: passx and RaYzerman
1 - 20 of 25 Posts