FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300AS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me 2007 FJR1300AS has a weird vibration coming from the rear at precisely 180 kph. Nothing below nor beyond that speed. It is more violent than an unbalanced tyre, feels like with every rotation of the wheel the whole drivetrain "clunks". Worst when accelerating and cruising, not so much while decelerating. The bike has 58k on the clock, completely original with no accidents and feels solid, no other issues. Any tips?

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,176 Posts
Yep, it does. My '07 that I bought new and now has 138,xxx miles on it still has a weird rumbly vibration at precisely 110 mph, exactly the same as your 180 kph. It's done it from day 1 regardless of bike tire size, brand or pressure. And it does it with a car tire. Back in my US Navy days we often talked about harmonic frequencies and the detrimental effects when attempting to be silent in the submarine service.

On mine it doesn't do it at 108 mph nor at 112 mph, only right at 110. For our '07's I think it's perfectly normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 07 FJR1300...AW. She has weird rumble, with 60,000Km on clock. Much more profound then my Gen I.
Harmonics suggestion sounds on the money in your AE case. I yet to cruise at 108miles an hour, 180km hour for any length of time. Will be interested to see if just unique to AE.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
New to me 2007 FJR1300AS has a weird vibration coming from the rear at precisely 180 kph. Nothing below nor beyond that speed. It is more violent than an unbalanced tyre, feels like with every rotation of the wheel the whole drivetrain "clunks". Worst when accelerating and cruising, not so much while decelerating. The bike has 58k on the clock, completely original with no accidents and feels solid, no other issues. Any tips?
Random,

First thing I would want to know is where the cause of the vibration may be. To that end, I would suggest that you put some sort of sound recorder in the rear, and record the noise. If that does not work, use a video camera/cellphone to record (in a general way) the knocks by video. Then video the rear wheel and/or driveshaft, to get information there. Once you have recordings, you can use sound or video editors to count the exact frequencies of the problem. If it happens (as you suspect) at each revolution of the wheel, you may need to spin-balance that wheel at the "problem" speed. Mark one side of the drive shaft with a Magic Marker, for that video. If it happens at each revolution of the driveshaft, then you would need to spin-balance the driveshaft (or maybe rebuild the U-joint, if needed).

As your information becomes more complete, other issues may become apparent, but until then, I would guess it is a balance problem with the wheel, or the driveshaft/U-joint. It is even possible that the wheel has a minor balance problem, and the driveshaft as well, but these two faults may combine to produce the problem. Harmonic vibrations can do that - you often can hear it happening on twin-engine propeller planes, when the engines do not quite match RPMs from one engine to the other. HTH.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300AS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the input!
I would gladly record it, if I haven't just sold my gopro. Dang..
New tyre will be fitted next week, will see if it changes anything. I really hope it is the culprit.
Didn't know you could balance the drive shaft, sounds expensive :D

BTW this is my second FJR, I had a 2008 a few years ago, same mileage, and that was smooth as butter from 0-260 kph so something is definitely wrong with this one.

I will get back to you after the tyre's fitted. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,279 Posts
It's likely very slight imbalance or out of round combination of wheel and tire. This doesn't show up at normal speeds. Any tire balancing isn't necessarily perfect as spin balancing is done at slow speed, but the accumulation of small imperfections will show at extremes.... You could try several things such as remounting the tire 180 degrees on the wheel and rebalancing, perhaps balancing the wheel first before the tire goes on, checking runout, etc...... however, a new tire may be the answer.
Least likely is the driveshaft IMHO, but I would grease the splines and remove U-joint and grease those splines too. You could remove the cush drive and ensure the needle bearing is adequately greased, check the other wheel bearings too, but they are likely OK.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,176 Posts
I'm telling you fellas, if only you would listen.....

About 10 different rear tires, both bike and 3 different car tires. 2 different rear shocks, multiple different settings, regular front fork maintenance with multiple different settings and at least 2 different weight fluids. Dozens of different people balancing wheels using different methods (including me). I even bought 1/8 oz weights and cut them in half to 1/16 oz to try. Clip-on weights, stick-on weights, makes no difference. Drive shaft balancing and parts replacement, all for naught.

You are chasing your tails. Round and round she goes, where she stops......

It has always been there and it still is after 13 yrs and 138,xxx miles. The chances of everyone from tire mfr to the shop doing everything exactly the same incorrect way are about the same as the chances of the sun burning out tomorrow.

It's inherent to the bike. And no, it's not an AE thing. It's an early Gen2 thing. You guys can chase the goose for the next 6 yrs and I'm telling you, you won't find a damn thing "wrong". It's an inherent property of the bike. Ride at 116 kph or 120 kph, just avoid 118. I use the 110 mph vibration to tell me when I'm going 110 without looking at the speedometer.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Nothing to worry about it's "normal", you are just a slow rider, we all ride our FJRs at 200+ km per hour at all the time, to avoid the "slight vibration" 🙄
And of course we slow down to 178 km per hr in the playgrounds.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300AS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing to worry about it's "normal", you are just a slow rider, we all ride our FJRs at 200+ km per hour at all the time, to avoid the "slight vibration" 🙄
And of course we slow down to 178 km per hr in the playgrounds.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or condescending, but I'm going to assume you are a better person than what I got from your comment. Cruising at 180kph with this kind of motorcycle is a totally valid use case. If you don't do it, that's your choice, I'm not going to give you crap about riding at whatever speeds you deem "safe" or "comfortable" and that is not indeed the point of this discussion.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300AS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's inherent to the bike. And no, it's not an AE thing. It's an early Gen2 thing. You guys can chase the goose for the next 6 yrs and I'm telling you, you won't find a damn thing "wrong". It's an inherent property of the bike. Ride at 116 kph or 120 kph, just avoid 118. I use the 110 mph vibration to tell me when I'm going 110 without looking at the speedometer.
I can accept that, thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I'm going to assume you are a better person than what I got from your comment.
ha,ha random** yes, just "yanking your chain" (sorry ;) ) we (in Canada) don't do those kind of speeds, speed limits are max 110kph and speeding fines are in thousands of dollars, jail time, suspension of your driver license etc.
Hope you'll fix your 180kph vibration issue soon (y)

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300AS
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ha,ha random** yes, just "yanking your chain" (sorry ;) ) we (in Canada) don't do those kind of speeds, speed limits are max 110kph and speeding fines are in thousands of dollars, jail time, suspension of your driver license etc.
Hope you'll fix your 180kph vibration issue soon (y)
Okay then, thanks and sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

BTW 180 kph is illegal everywhere in the world, except on some parts of the "Autobahn" in Germany, so I guess this is just part of riding a motorcycle. Here, in Hungary the traffic law enforcement is very understaffed, so you rarely come across police cars outside the city. And of course everybody knows about the location of speedtraps along motorways. You have to be very dumb to get a ticket here. And if you do come across a police car, they will generally leave motorcycles alone. If you don't do anything outrageously stupid, like wheelie past a patrol car, or overtake over a solid line, you won't be stopped by them, ever.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Okay then, thanks and sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

BTW 180 kph is illegal everywhere in the world, except on some parts of the "Autobahn" in Germany, so I guess this is just part of riding a motorcycle. Here, in Hungary the traffic law enforcement is very understaffed, so you rarely come across police cars outside the city. And of course everybody knows about the location of speedtraps along motorways. You have to be very dumb to get a ticket here. And if you do come across a police car, they will generally leave motorcycles alone. If you don't do anything outrageously stupid, like wheelie past a patrol car, or overtake over a solid line, you won't be stopped by them, ever.
ha,ha yes I know your part of Europe very well, I've been there many, many times, great roads :)

here in Alberta the police is everywhere, no shortage of staff, you have a small car accident and 2min later you are surrounded by 5 cruisers, fire truck and Ambulance, speeding cameras in many places, police with radars doing their daily quotas, (yes they get sent out and they are given a quota (of thousands of $$$) to meet for that day) :rolleyes:, it's just like another "Tax money grab"...anyway it makes you think twice before twisting that throttle... here is the latest speeding fines schedule for Alberta province (fines are DOUBLE in construction zones, playgrounds etc):
  • 1-15 km/hr over : $78 - $120
  • 16-30 km/hr over : $140 - $239
  • 31-50 km/hr over : $253 - $474
  • 51+ km/hr over : $650 - $2000, plus the potential for a driver’s licence suspension
a judge in the Court may rule even higher fine, up to $25,000 dollars....(to put it in perspective 1 Lit of gas is $1.20)

If you move to Canada, you will never have any vibration issues :LOL: Cheers (y)

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,279 Posts
Damir, they're taking it easy on you, lol.... actually, fines similar here, but anything 50km/hr over, automatic impound of your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Damir, they're taking it easy on you, lol.... actually, fines similar here, but anything 50km/hr over, automatic impound of your vehicle.
I heard that 😳... makes me wonder why are they (the governments) selling motorcycles that are capable of speeds in excess of 300 km per hour, to us (general public)
I mean with most bikes you shift to 2nd and you are over the max speed limits....so why 6 gears, or 7 in New Wing? 🙂

Actually I know why: "if they would only sell bikes that go up to 110kph they would never make Trilions on speeding tickets...crooks

If they are so concerned about safety and wellbeing of people then why are they allowing the sales of "2 wheeled 320kph weapons"?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I heard that 😳... makes me wonder why are they (the governments) selling motorcycles that are capable of speeds in excess of 300 km per hour, to us (general public)
I mean with most bikes you shift to 2nd and you are over the max speed limits....so why 6 gears, or 7 in New Wing? 🙂

Actually I know why: "if they would only sell bikes that go up to 110kph they would never make Trilions on speeding tickets...crooks

If they are so concerned about safety and wellbeing of people then why are they allowing the sales of "2 wheeled 320kph weapons"?

STOP!!! I LIKE TO GO FAST!!!!
I'm always running 120mph on the highway. Its how you tell if someone is following you. At one point there were not many bikes that could run at those speeds for over half an hour. I'm not so much worried about the rear creating wobble. I'm more worried about tank slap an a overly large pot hole. Noticed yesterday just before the big rain hit the front range I went hands free for a few seconds to zip up the sleeves and 2 other vents. Did not like the shake at 60mph! could have been the road surface. Will be doing the head bearings soon I think!!

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Russ, just curious about this vibration thing and convinced after your comments that it’s not a tire/wheel balance issue but more likely a “phase” problem in the drive train. So by chance did you ever try rotating the driveshaft 180deg on the splines to change the phasing maybe ?

like I said I’m just curious and it may improve it or worsen it ! Myself I never noticed it on my 14.

Like Grey Squall noted above I only do the 100+ mph to see if someone is following me, I have one joker here in Indiana that insists on following me occasionally, how do I know it’s the same guy? It’s because he’s got these crazy red & blue lights he insists on flashing at me and when I stop to confront him on why he’s following me he usually has some serious attitude.

on top of all that he usually gives me a note to meet up later at the local court house (kind of an odd place to meet) and then the SOB never shows up,,,,, beginning to think he’s some kind of “perv” that just gets off watching me get off my bike and pull my helmet off, not happy with this guy !

1 - 20 of 34 Posts