FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 fjr with 37k on the clock has a very pronounced rattling in the front end. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the fork legs and not the head set. The least little bump causes the rattling /clunky sound. Rocking the bike back and forth with the front brake on doesn't seem to make the noise. Help

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,261 Posts
Check for brake lines slapping. Loose brackets. Wiring connectors that can move around and smack things, loose plastic. Plenty of stuff that can rattle

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,324 Posts
Deflector panel under the triple clamp might have lost a screw...... Gen2 fork springs are quite undersprung, crank the preload right down in case the springs are rattling on the inside of the fork tube. They need to be cranked right down anyway no matter what you weigh.
But pronounced rattle could be loose fastener, brake line to fender above calipers, fender screws loose/missing. Even the rotors can rattle if the rivets are clean of crud. Grab the rotors and you should be able to rotate them back and forth a wee bit (hear them click).

Reactions: Fringe_Remnant

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
385 Posts
I have been battling this for years...still no real answer, and I'm getting used to it. I think it has diminished some over the years, maybe from rotors building up crud, or me lubricating the back of the brake pads to eliminate anything from there...but still there occasionally.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The brake pads can rattle, when it is doing it, gently squeeze the front brake just a little to take up the slack and see if it reduces.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Deflector panel under the triple clamp might have lost a screw...... Gen2 fork springs are quite undersprung, crank the preload right down in case the springs are rattling on the inside of the fork tube. They need to be cranked right down anyway no matter what you weigh.
But pronounced rattle could be loose fastener, brake line to fender above calipers, fender screws loose/missing. Even the rotors can rattle if the rivets are clean of crud. Grab the rotors and you should be able to rotate them back and forth a wee bit (hear them click).
I cranked the preload down on mine and voila no more rattling.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
2012 fjr with 37k on the clock has a very pronounced rattling in the front end. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the fork legs and not the head set. The least little bump causes the rattling /clunky sound. Rocking the bike back and forth with the front brake on doesn't seem to make the noise. Help
In my case the noise was coming from the pads. After 25000 kilometers you started to hear especially on a bad road surface. A little paper tape on the edges of the pads helped to get rid of the annoying noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey,
Thanks for all of the good ideas. It sounds like I'm not alone here. Lots of things to check out. I will post an update after I check it over again. Hopefully one of these will be the answer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Last time I helped a guy try to locate the cause of a rattle that I assumed was loose brake disks ended up being the two bolts that hold down the front of the gas tank. It sounded like it was coming from lower on the forks so it fooled us.

Reactions: Fringe_Remnant
1 - 11 of 11 Posts