FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silly question maybe, can you use stuff like RainX (Keeps car screens clear-for a while anyway) on the FJR screen :?
(will it cloud, will it help keep the screen clear of bugs (super slippery ?)

LSD

·
Registered
52 Posts
Clean Windscreen

Isd,

I use Mr. Sheen on my Cee-Baileys with flip. Rain just runs off, bugs don't stick, and the screen has never clouded.

Regards, Glenn. 8)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've used it, it was OK
I've since used polish that you use on the fairing paintwork, I think it contains something that protects and makes the surface slippery
(GS 27 titanium???) Do you have that in the UK?
It seems that less insects stick and it is certain that a wipe over afterwards rapidly clears the screen.

(I've just spoken to Sara about the trip)

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
531 Posts
The polish that CeeBailey sends with their screens works about as good as anything I have tried. The Meguiars plastic polish is equally good.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
donaldb said:
umm, in a word----no! plastic and rain-x don't mix. use only plexus
I use it for rainy rides on my offroad goggles with good results.

:)

·
Registered
172 Posts
iso alcohol and plastic don't fair well together, any moreso than ammonia and plastic. I guess you could do it, and maybe the first few times there would be no noticable effects. I had a shield back in years of yonder, that over a period of time I used windex on, it clouded the shield over time. The first few times I cleaned it, I saw no negative effects, but alas, it was there!

Out of curiosity someone might want to e-mail some after market shield manufacturors and pose that ? about using Rain-X on their product and see what their response is and post it here, I may very well be proved wrong--yet again!!

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Well... and if I destroy a goggle lens, it's like 5 bucks for a new one... but it does help keep mud and crud from sticking when you're running in the woods.

I'm a Plexus fan, too... for all the surfaces on street bikes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I may be up your way St Louis next weekend, if a deal on a 05 fjr a friend of mine is trying to put together works out, do you know if the red birds will be playing at home next Saturday, and if so what time? (sorry bout the hijack)

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
They're away this weekend, but home next weekend against Colorado.

Good luck finding tickets, unless ya know somebody. :mrgreen:
(I'll keep an eye out, no promises)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used to use Rain-X on my visor and shield - OK at first but after a while the visor became brittle and clouded, shield clouded a bit too. Wax works best for me.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Nikwax do a product called Visor Proof
Needs regular reapplication to get the best out of it, but does exactly what it says on the label.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.