FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the FJR, the reason for my purchase was for pillion work, but l have just done a big solo trip through Spain/France.
I love the bike, but coming from a VFR l miss the handling, sometimes the FJR feels great in corners, but on others feels like a old barge :?
I did manage to get the pegs down :mrgreen:

On my VFR l had ohlins fork springs and rear shock, loads of money :(
I know the suspension could be better on the FJR, l think it still has the original shock 23,000 miles so probably shot :(

So the question is what shock to go for, and best set up, for forks and shock?????? I am 12.5 stone and my pillion 10 stone.

Someone suggested Maxton any feed back??? :ale: :ale:

·
Registered
192 Posts
rear shock

I don't know if you have access to penske shocks, but if you do a company here in the USA called Traxxion makes a custom sport shock that works great. Multiple adjustments and it really changes the FJR's handling, especially in the corners. Cost is about $625 US. It's a Penske shock just customized by Traxxion. They have a website but not sure of the address. Just google Traxxion.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Rear Shock

For what it's worth I've had the Southampton (linkage) mod on my 03 since new which raises the rear slightly, this gives a better feel going into to a corner. I have just replaced the OEM shock after 24K miles with a Hagon unit. I'm 266lb and with the wife on the rear who is another 180lb the ride is now better than it ever was. Had a good 140 mile run with her on the back round the North Wales roads the other weekend and I was very well pleased with the result.

Brian

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I was wandering the dealers looking for my FJR ,which had to include trading in my Bandit 1200. I was told by the dealer concerned about this mod but have never found out what it entailed.
And as he couldnt do a reasonable deal I didnt buy there.So come on explain it to us all as its supposed to give sports bike turning to the FJR

:mrgreen: :lol: :shock:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Rear Shock

@tontofjr

Well all it comprises of is slightly longer linkages on the bottom of the shock. You're in the right place to talk to someone about them. Go along to Parkroad Powerbikes in Shirley and speak to the designer himslef Colin Longfellow. He can explain the why's wherefore's far better than I. I only ride the bike, not mechanically minded at all. But rest assured it makes the ride for more responsive.

Brian

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Rear Shock

FB4Short said:
@tontofjr

Well all it comprises of is slightly longer linkages on the bottom of the shock. You're in the right place to talk to someone about them. Go along to Parkroad Powerbikes in Shirley and speak to the designer himslef Colin Longfellow. He can explain the why's wherefore's far better than I. I only ride the bike, not mechanically minded at all. But rest assured it makes the ride for more responsive.

Brian
Hi Brian

Have you got a full adress and contact details, for Colin Longfellow

many thanks

John :ale:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Rear Shock

@ Eskimo

Colin Longfellow (Owner)
Parkroad Powerbikes
160 Shirley Road
Southampton
SO15 3FP

Tel:02380 228718

Give him my best regards if you talk to him. It's OK I don't owe him any money, just tell him that the bikes going good and that he wouldn't want to PX it as it's got 24K on it now.

Brian

·
Registered
149 Posts
Let me know how you get on Eskimo
I found Colin hard work and uncommunicative but you dont always get on with everyone you meet and it could be He didnt like me as we couldnt work out a deal :lol:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
The dogbone idea is ok but the rear wheel can touch the ground while on the centrestand which could make it unstable while parked.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Rear Shock

@Woody

The bones are just the right length to allow a stable park on the centre stand. You have to put a piece of wood under the stand however to rotate the rear wheel

@Eskimo
Colin can be hard work until you've spent loads of money in his shop. Seriously though, you just need serious intentions when you go in and get a conversation going. What tontofjr says is true, Colin doesn't like deals.

Brian

·
Registered
632 Posts
Eskimo - I have Shakeys dogbones if you want to try them out....

Alan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts