FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after I do the CCT I plan on flushing the cooling system. Here's my question: instead of running the bike thru 3 cycles of up to temp, back to fully cooled off....can't I just temporarily remove the thermostat? That way the distilled water I'll be using to flush the radiator will immediately flow through the system. Run the bike for a minute or two, turn off. Drain~blow thru radiator with hose and repeat until it runs clear. Am I missing something that would make this a bad idea??

·
Registered
263 Posts
ll technically there is nothing wrong with it . just make sure you put i back in as he ecu uses water temp as a metric for fuel / air timing
I have done it on cars
Another thing you may want to consider is a product called RMI -25 it slowly cleans the engine and deposits it in the over flow tank
used it on my last three cars my recent 1999 Acura was the first one that did NOT leave anything in the tank ..
I am installing some tomorrow in the FJR

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm glad you brought up the ECU....is that going to throw it off or send error codes?

·
Registered
263 Posts
well you will be only running it for 10- 15 minutes ..so I would think IF a code were to show it will go away ... but I dont think you should get a code ,,it is just as it will take longer to get hot it will be richer longer until temps rise

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Unless you see evidence of gunk and junk in the cooling system, flushing is over rated. Especially 3 times. Holy ****.

The Fjr has a bypass in the cooling system so pulling the T-stat or waiting for it to open is not necessary.

Just drain the old stuff. Fill with water and run it for a few minutes, then drain it again. Fill it with whatever coolant you like, burp it and be done.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Unless you see evidence of gunk and junk in the cooling system, flushing is over rated. Especially 3 times. Holy ****.

The Fjr has a bypass in the cooling system so pulling the T-stat or waiting for it to open is not necessary.

Just drain the old stuff. Fill with water and run it for a few minutes, then drain it again. Fill it with whatever coolant you like, burp it and be done.
Agreed Mike .. thats why I suggest RMI 25 .. after using for a few hundred miles all you do is drain the system and clean out the over flow tank ..then refill

·
Registered
66 Posts
So after I do the CCT I plan on flushing the cooling system. Here's my question: instead of running the bike thru 3 cycles of up to temp, back to fully cooled off....can't I just temporarily remove the thermostat? That way the distilled water I'll be using to flush the radiator will immediately flow through the system. Run the bike for a minute or two, turn off. Drain~blow thru radiator with hose and repeat until it runs clear. Am I missing something that would make this a bad idea??
I just completed a flush about two weeks ago. My focus was getting 'non-colored" water from the cooling system. So yes, I did flush three times (used three gallons of distilled water), but I didn't let it cool all the way down, that's crazy, you'd be there for days. I filled the system with water, rode for about 10 minutes, let the bike idle until the fan came on, and shut it down. I probably waited 15 or 20 minutes between flushes, that way it cooled sufficiently so I wouldn't burned, drain, refill, repeat. (Also had a large fan cooling me and the bike that day). After 3 gallons I got non-green tinted water, so I filled with anti-freeze and buttoned it up. It still took the better part of a day (probably 5 hours), but mission accomplished. FYI, I'm running a 2004 with 107000 miles and the system hasn't been flushed in 3 years.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I *flushed* my FJR's cooling system *once*. Overkill.

Now, after a few hundred thousand miles, this is my coolant maintenance regimen: Every 30k or so, when I do a valve check I simply drain what coolant I can, and then fill with new. Simple, no?

·
Registered
343 Posts

Now, after a few hundred thousand miles, this is my coolant maintenance regimen: Every 30k or so, when I do a valve check I simply drain what coolant I can, and then fill with new. Simple, no?
Unless the FJR has a magical engine that is different than every other engine, I'd imagine this would be just fine. Cars often have 50k intervals... so 30k should be fine even if a little old gets mixed with new. Obviously assuming your gaskets are fine and not blowing-by anything *shrug*

·
Registered
102 Posts

+1. Skooter is a genius. This what I do as well. As I ride about 12k each year the fluid is changed once every two years. Skooter has lots of miles and I mean big miles on his FJRs so this is time tested advice.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The FJR is no different than any other small displacement aluminum liquid cooled engine.

Those coolant service intervals are 50k and 75k. Unless you have some other mechanical service (like valve lash) or break down that requires coolant service there is no reason to mess with it.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,357 Posts
Unless the FJR has a magical engine that is different than every other engine, I'd imagine this would be just fine. Cars often have 50k intervals... so 30k should be fine even if a little old gets mixed with new. Obviously assuming your gaskets are fine and not blowing-by anything *shrug*
The FJR is no different than any other small displacement aluminum liquid cooled engine.

Those coolant service intervals are 50k and 75k. Unless you have some other mechanical service (like valve lash) or break down that requires coolant service there is no reason to mess with it.
Yoose guys are cruel :grin:! You have to remember that some folks simply MUST obsess about getting every single molecule of old coolant out.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,431 Posts
What coolant should I use, lol?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
What coolant should I use, lol?
Rotella! :grin2:

No seriously, anything for asian automobiles, Genuine Honda blue coolant from the car dealer is readily available for a fair price. Premium price if purchased from Honda motorcycle dealer.

The magic phrase to look for is, "silicate free", beyond that anything is fine.

To be really anal if you don't know what was in there before would be to fill with distilled water, run until the fan comes on, drain, then fill with new coolant.

To be really really anal, don't purchase premix coolant. Get the undiluted stuff. (I don't know if this is an option from Honda.) After draining the distilled water double check the coolant capacity in owner's manual. Fill half the published capacity with pure coolant, top off with distilled water for a perfect 50/50 ratio no matter you can't drain 100% of the previous fill of distilled water.

Reactions: jparrie
1 - 15 of 15 Posts