FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 AE
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new to me '07 has 15 years of road grime on the radiator. I was curious if anyone's used S100 to clean it.
I've used it for years on my Vulcan
The thought of dissolving the dirt and rinsing it away with low pressure seems like a good idea.

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
In my experience, you can hit the radiator with a strong nozzle without any fear of damage, but I myself wouldn't use a pressure washer on it.

I've also used that cleaner in the past and it's good... but wow is it pricey!

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,265 Posts
Rad likely has two kinds of crud in it..... organic bug guts, use hydrogen peroxide to break them down. Road tar, need a solvent such as naptha or mineral spirits. Let each soak overnight, then do the next one. Rinse with dish soap and water. Then there's a foaming air conditioner coil spray..... I'd venture that to be very effective too.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
2,113 Posts
Ronmold,

Do not use any pressure-stream of water near the radiator. Even a garden hose with a nozzle can bend or break the fins, and they are brittle. If they get bent, straightening them often breaks the fins off. Check the cost of the FJR radiator (labor is extra), before you get adventurous. A gentle, generous stream of water is the right stuff there, maybe with a chemical cleaner, but no brushes, and no forceful streams of water. You can protect your radiator in advance with a Cox radiator guard, or some similar screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts