FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week in my continuing efforts to improve the suspension of my Classic US '03, I had RaceTech springs, compression and rebound cartridges installed. The system works well except for an annoying spring click at full compression. The suspension mechanics attitude is that it is unfortunate, but harms nothing (including his wallet). I think RaceTech still has not dealt with the fact that we have 48mm tubes.

Has anyone else experience this ugly click? I imagine the spring is deflecting off center, being of too small an outside diameter, and hits the inside of the fork tube. If your RaceTech springs work fine, what part number did you use?

we used FRSP S4031-90 40.0X38.0X310MM 90Pound

Recommended FRSP S3732-90 36.7X34.5X315MM

Thanks for your comments,
BAGSTR

·
Registered
117 Posts
BAGSTR said:
The suspension mechanics attitude is that it is unfortunate, but harms nothing (including his wallet).
It's "unfortunate"? :?: :?: :?:

That's a interesting response from RaceTech.... perhaps you could ask him if all RaceTech-tuned forks produce this click at full-compression, and if not, then why does yours?

Do you feel your forks are otherwise behaving as advertised? Is there a significant improvement (in your opinion) in the ride then pre-RaceTech mods?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WC,

Plush but firm as advertised. Much greater rebound control than stock. I'm still finding the best settings. Under full throttle the front does not jack up, momentum is forward. Hard breaking = less collapse of springs. Hard on off accell and decell through familiar back road two lane is much smoother... just relaxed at speed.

BAGSTR

·
Registered
0 Posts
Bagstr,
I installed the race tech springs & gold valve kit. I too have the clicking. Performance is good however, big improvement, no diving, more control, smoother ride. The springs, I believe are set up for 43mm tubes. If you notice, go onto the Race Tech site and key in product search for FJR. You will notice that the data/stock #'s for innner/outbushings all have 43 in them. This is for 43mm. I ordered the bushings and they were the wrong size - for 43m. I had to send them back and order stock 48mm from the dealer. Lost 2 weeks of summer riding on that one. Also you will notice that the fork brand reference on the Race Teck site for the FJR is KYB 43C. That is wrong. I called Race Tech 3 times (to sales, to tech people etc.. ) over the past 2 months on this to give them a heads up - to save others from ordering the wrong stuff. They take the info from me, say they will check on it but the site info is still wrong. It's too bad - they have quality products but I am a bit surprised that they would not correct the product info for the FJR...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RaceTech Click

Joe,

Thanks for the confirmation. I have recieved no response to my email to RT. They probably just want me to "live with it". Ohlins is my next research project for 42mm springs.

BAGSTR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts