FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello you bunch of Hooligans!

So, what I discovered this morning, is if you have the R-Gaza "infinity" Engine Guards installed, you cannot install the "R1" shifter mod!

The guard back mount puts the horizontal bar too close to the up shifter rod, and the R1 mod moves the shifter rod so that it will contact the horizontal guard bar.

Sure I could beat a dent into the engine guard and make it work, but that is not how I roll.

So, I may have to ponder this physics problem...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Interesting - picture? I was considering doing this on my FJR since it worked so well on my FZ1. But I also have the R-Gaza bars. You are installing the lever backwards - correct?

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did Not attempt to install it backwards. And here is the pic of the clearance issue:

From the under side, but it is a bad pic/angle:

·
Registered
539 Posts
It has to be installed backwards. Should look like this when installed on an FJR

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh Snap! I'm gonna go try that now...

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check this thread out, Alt:

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so in order to install it reversed, I had to drop the left peg bracket, which also mounts the side stand. And while I have it down, I might as well clean it, and lube the pivot joints... So, this project just turned into an afternoon of cleaning and lubing... LOL

I will report back after it is done!

·
Registered
539 Posts
OK, so in order to install it reversed, I had to drop the left peg bracket, which also mounts the side stand. And while I have it down, I might as well clean it, and lube the pivot joints... So, this project just turned into an afternoon of cleaning and lubing... LOL

I will report back after it is done!
Huh?
All you should have to do is loosen up the jam nut so that you can spin the hiem joint around while you are installing the arm.

Reactions: passx

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not with the R-Gaza in place. There is no angle to install that screw from behind. And I had to PM the shift lever anyway, so it forced me to do the PM! LOL

·
Registered
539 Posts
Not with the R-Gaza in place. There is no angle to install that screw from behind. And I had to PM the shift lever anyway, so it forced me to do the PM! LOL
You rotate the heim and install screw from in front or above and then install arm. If there isn't enough space I guess I would take 2 minutes and remove the crash bar. But whatever works;)

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL, naw it takes a little longer to remove the crash bar. And of the two I would rather remove the peg bracket than the crash bar. Like I said, I had t PM the linkage anyway. I hadn't done it since I bought the bike.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Is it the part that actually “grips” the shifter cog?…or the arm with the ball joint that connects to it? eBay shows me a shifter with the arm itself (ball joint on the end)

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Alt, it is the lever at the top of the rod not the rod itself, they are on back order at a few places but in my opinion one of the best things I’ve done to my bike. Order the top arm for a 14/15 R1. Install it like in the multiple pictures available. It is a subtle but big improvement in my opinion. Instead of a conscience clunky effort it just snips into gear.

And like Greg above if you haven’t serviced your shift linkage in a while or ever take some time and do it now, might want to lube your brake lever now as well.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And mine is done!

So, I did pull the bracket that houses the foot pegs, cleaned and lubed all the pivot points, installed the mod and reassembled. Will take it for a test jaunt today!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts