FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've just received my R&G Crash Protectors from Bike Jonny. I'm all ready to install them but the leaflet that comes (courtesy of Bike Jonny) with the sliders is worrying me.

In short there is BIG warning regarding the tourqing of the bolts and a statement that says...

"If you want to remove the bolt repeatedly for fairing removal for cleaning or non regular maintenance then we STRONGLY recommend fitting a helicoil or similar thread kit from the outset"
This raises several questions for me...

1) If this is such a fragile thread, is it wise to use it for a crash bung?

2) I was under the impression that a helecoil was something that was used to repair stripped threads, and involved 'drilling out' the original hole and fitting an insert. Is it common to fit these before a thread is damaged?

Am I being unnecessarily paranoid?

I need some education/reassurance :? .

Regards,

Glenn

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
knnelg said:
Yes, sir. 8)

They are fine threads, which means that modest torque, translates to massive bolt-stretching power. Just use some thread-locker and use modest torque - I think I used 30 - 40 foot/pounds... and with thread locker, they never moved. I doubt any average FJR guy will be removing them much, unless replacing a lower fairing, or installing a full-exhaust system.

The sliders on my R1 are the same way - very low torque specified, with the same warnings, from a different slider vendor.

Low torque and all, I can attest they certainly proved their worth to me one day! :oops:

:)

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
@knnelg: warning is probably also as a result of some early 'fitters' lubricating the threads, and overtightening the bolts. There have been a few (and that means only a few) reports of stripped threads. Just follow the instructions, keep the threads clean and dry (or use appropriate threadlocker), and only tighten to the specified torque.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
knnelg said:
Yes, sir. 8)

They are fine threads, which means that modest torque, translates to massive bolt-stretching power. Just use some thread-locker and use modest torque - I think I used 30 - 40 foot/pounds... :oops:

:)
But make sure you use the Blue thread- locker ONLY. Anything other than the blue, like RED will strip the threads when you try to remove the bolts.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That warning was not given with the early product fitting sheet, so +1 with david1300.

Torque to 55 Nm, a bit less if you want to.

+1 - DO NOT lubricate the threads, this was what caused a few threads to strip in the past.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts