FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - new member here!

I just bought a 2004 FJR and rode it from north of San Francisco to Orange County along Highway One. The Big Sur section was epic!

Anyway, I have a question on bar end weights. Any reason NOT to go with the heaviest I can find from the vendors that have been mentioned on this forum?

For example, Hudson Valley offers two weights;

Extra Heavy weight - 15.5 ounces
Heavy weight – 11.6 ounces

Does the extra weight in the 15.5 make a difference?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
tdskip said:
Any reason NOT to go with the heaviest I can find
Not sure how much weight I'd want to put so far from the steering axis. Could it exacerbate a hands off decel wobble? I don't know, just a thought...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone.

Kaj - the bar ends need to be the right diameter to fit/look right and they also need to have proper mounting threads/bolts.

Not any bar end will fit. There are some great choices out there from hvmp.com, fjrgoodies.com and Jarmo a forum member.

I ended up ordering my from hvmp.com - their service was outstanding. I'm sure the others are quite good as well.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The Jarmo bar end

Designed exclusively for the FJR. They perform very well, reducing vibration to a minimum.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jarmo Bar Ends

I just put on a set of the famous Jarmo bar ends. Fantastic! Couldn't recommend them more highly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well I think bar end weights are more pretty (bling?) than functional (farkle?). They do help though, I think. My belief is they change the resonance frequency of the bars by adding mass. May lower the vibration magnitude as it now requires more energy to excite the spring (the bars). It has been too long since I studied vibration theory so I could be all wet.

I'd predict they hurt steering a bit, as you are adding weight to the steering head. Plus from an inertia standpoint it now takes you more effort to move the bars, particularly if you do it quickly. But I do not think any of this enough to notice or be a concern.

I love them. Jarmo makes a sweet product. Now on to the next farkle.

·
Registered
122 Posts
eskimo said:
How does the extra weight help, does it stop the bars flapping at speed, or does help with the steering ???? :? :? :?
There's a good write up about the how & why of bar-end weights, take a look at the FAQ there too.
http://www.manicsalamander.com/bar_end_weight_bolt-on_6mm.htm

Has anyone here used the Manic Salamander bar-ends at all? I'm having trouble trying to decide on which ones to get for my FJR. I'm more interested in the function aspect then the bling (would get the black or stainless ones anyway), so would be great to hear from anyone who's used both the Jarmo & Manic Salamander or HVMP (http://www.hvmp.com/yamaha.htm) bar-ends?

Btw, what's the website for the Jarmo bar-ends, I can't seem to get a useful hit on Google on this name

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't think Jarmo has a website. He is a member of this forum. Just Search the forum for Jarmo and PM him. That is what I did.

·
Registered
16 Posts
JamesK said:
Has anyone here used the Manic Salamander bar-ends at all?
I have the Manic Salamander bar ends. The quality is good. Vibration SEEMS less than with stock bar ends, but may just be placebo effect...no measurements.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just put the motovation bar ends on. They are big, but not as heavy as the salamander - which must be hugh. They are so long they will be good for sweeping pedestrians off of cross walks. There is a fairly large gap between the bar end and handle bar grip. There was also a gap with the stock ends but not as noticable bcasue the stocks are black. Haven't ridden with them yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
question on bar end weights

Joecbr1100 wrote
There is a fairly large gap between the bar end and handle bar grip.
I've noticed the same thing throttle-side only on my 2006, way big gap. The throttle assembly seems to be positioned such that it won't relocate down the bar and it makes the bar-end weight seem pretty insecure. Other than lopping off the positioning lug does anyone have another fix to suggest?

Breathless

1 - 15 of 15 Posts