FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello FJR enthusiasts.

So, my 07 is new to me and I am currently working through serving what I do not know. I had no idea when the last air filter service was completed so I ordered a high-flow.

I just pulled out the existing filter and it appears to be a K&N, definitely dirty, and needs cleaning and oiling.

Any feedback and input on which filter would be best is appreciated.

The high-flow cost $27 shipped on eBay so shelving it is no concern, my concern is what is best for the machine..

Clean the K&N or install the High-flow?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Flow. Take that K&N dirt passing filter and toss it.
K&N gets "superior" flow characteristics by filtering worse and letting bigger junk through, up until the point it clogs.
Hi Oldjeep. I really appreciate your advice and quick response. On my way back into the garage to complete the service..

Old Jeeps are the best! Had a few 70's Town & Country. Wish I had kept one or two..

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
2,196 Posts
70's - that isn't an old jeep ;) (Yeah, OK - I added a couple feet to the middle and installed some 1 ton truck parts)
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
49 Posts
And while you're at it... form a 'cover' using metal screen for the intake snorkel to keep them pesky rodents from building a home inside the airbox

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
I had the same thoughts about K&N's until two new-to-me bikes came to me with them.... on my VFR it was very dirty and neglected. On the interior airbox side, it was clean and no evidence of letting any dust through. I'm now OK with K&N's... they are cotton with a mesh on the intake side, which you soak with just the right amount of oil. Seems quite fine to me.
Dirt bikes have foam filters you also treat with oil.... now those, I don't know, but if you service them regularly, I don't see too much of a problem.
Paper is OK too, but what we really need is a scientific comparison to see who allows what through....... anything is bad if you neglect it.
Nothing wrong with Hi-Flo's.

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
380 Posts
How often should you treat the FJR filter with oil?
To be honest I have done 100's of "dirtbike" filters but have never heard of oiling any other ones except Harley cone style that sit out in the open. I recently inspected mine and the entire box/filter was clean but I didn't re-oil it or do anything special except blowing it out the usual way.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
With a K&N generally when it looks dirty clean it and oil it. Pretty simple. How often depends on how dirty the air is where you ride. I'll do mine right after pollen season in the spring and again in the fall.

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300A
129 Posts
I use K&N. I even have a K&N for my house. Because horsepower.

• Haha
Reactions: Oldjeep

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
K&N furnace filters will let the blower fan turn another 1200 rpm because it lets the air flow.

The original K&N furnace filter let the squirrel cage bearings burn up due to excessive spinning so K&N had to detune the filter where the free spin was limited to 1200 rpm so the bearings survived .....

True Story ..... :sneaky:

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
Well after reading all that, I'll keep the K&N no problem. I clean and re-oil once a year. Cheaper than OEM in the long run too.
According to Yammy, you're supposed to clean your OEM air filter with compressed air every 4000 miles, replace as necessary.

Reactions: SmashVol

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
2,196 Posts
Well after reading all that, I'll keep the K&N no problem. I clean and re-oil once a year. Cheaper than OEM in the long run too.
According to Yammy, you're supposed to clean your OEM air filter with compressed air every 4000 miles, replace as necessary.
3.8 should tell you everything you need to know. But if you like your engine sucking dirt - you are k&n target customer;)

·
Registered
730 Posts
I’ve had K&N’s on many vehicles over the years with never a problem. Whenever I go to clean them…the inlet side is dirty and the engine side will still be squeaky clean and still the color of new oil. My FJR with 30k+ miles on it has one now…. My VFR with over 75k miles on it has one, my IS350 with 172k miles on it has one. They all run like tops. The key with them is to stay after the cleaning…and don’t over or under oil them.

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Same here. No fueling, ring, guides or valve wear in any bike I've had K&N's in.

Reactions: AtlRiderrr

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
3.8 should tell you everything you need to know. But if you like your engine sucking dirt - you are k&n target customer;)
This was in 3.8... "The actual filtering efficiency of the K&N filter will be higher in real life scenario due to the increased surface area exposed to the air stream".

So much for lab tests.

Reactions: RaYzerman

·
Registered
315 Posts
I use Hi-Flows in all of my bikes. In short use the Hi-Flow.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts