FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine don't work. Chased around with a multimeter today. Looks like the throttle side element is shot (no continuity).

What are my options? Does Yammy sell replacement parts (thinking not)? Is there an aftermarket element I can buy to replace it? Seem to remember a thread last year about a pair of elements that hooked right up to the yammy controller but I can't find it.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

·
Registered
153 Posts
You should read 2.2 ohms per element. Is that what you have on the other element ?

If your lucky the wire will be cut in the cable, try to open the cable a few inches before the wires goes inside de grip and check if you have continuity.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Pierre. I'll give that a try tomorrow. Looked like they had run the cable without much of a loop on the throttle side.

Appreciate the response.

jim

·
Registered
119 Posts
onesing -
If you don't find the broken wire;
I have a pair of Yamaha OEM heated grips that I can part with. Brand new, never used, but not in box, thus a bit dusty.
PM me if you are interested.
$25 delivered (in USA)

·
Super Moderator
3,962 Posts
Wess said:
onesing -
If you don't find the broken wire;
I have a pair of Yamaha OEM heated grips that I can part with. Brand new, never used, but not in box, thus a bit dusty.
PM me if you are interested.
$25 delivered (in USA)
Heck! If they include the controller, I'll take 'em! Let me know.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sorry, just the grips, and attached (~1') wire to the first connector.
My controller went bad a while back, and the dealer gave me a complete set (grips, controller, wiring harness) because that's what he'd had to order to get the controller.
When I saw that there was NO reason for the kluge that the shop had done :evil: when installing the original set, I made use of the needed controller, reversed all the bends in the mounting bracket (thanks whomever you are for posting that mod!) and used the new wiring harness to do a proper job of the wiring.
A new wiring harness can be assembled from local material, and a contoller isn't too hard to make either (HD 1A resistor, and a three position switch gives Hi / Off / Low).

·
Super Moderator
3,962 Posts
I bet some kind of heat troller would work too, eh? Oh, just a tick. Are those like the OEM hard style grips and small diameter? If so, then I'll have to take a pass. Hard grips kill me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I imagine a Heat-troller could be made to work if you had one handy.
These are OEM grips. Definitely not soft.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.