FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Satellite radio is finally in Canada and I'm wondering what people that are using it with their FJR think. How easy does it install? Is there any mouning systems available for it yet?

Thanks for the info in advance

DaveS :lol:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Satellite Radio

woody said:
Do you mean DAB's Radio :?:
Sirius and XM satellite radio are now available up here and I'm wondering if it's worth looking into for music to listen to on the bike while touring. At the moment I've got a Sony Mini CD walkman that I use with my intercom.

·
Registered
40 Posts
FJR_MAC,
I'm presently replacing my original battleship sized Jenson Sirius receiver & antenna with the knob-controlled, edge-dial Xact Visor Sirius. It will fit on the outside of the glove box (the new little satellite receivers run hot)next to the fork.
Living in NW Michigan, I've had very good reception over the past few years.
I had to carve out the tool tray for the Jenson. My Softline intercom was also under the seat. I'm relocating the Softline to the inside of the glove box and will have all of the wiring under the fairing front & lowers. The new tiny antenna will be up front, too. Probably on a mirror or the auxilary light bracket.

dobias

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've also been looking into satellite radio and am stuck in the middle. Are any of the radios out there weather resistant? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
worldbound4now said:
I've also been looking into satellite radio and am stuck in the middle. Are any of the radios out there weather resistant? Thanks for the input.
I have an XM SkiFi2 and I used the SkiFi Marine enclosure on my Goldwing...worked fine in any weather condition and had UV protection.

I'm looking at the Garmin 2730 for the FJR that has built in XM radio...I have sent Garmin a question about how water resistant that model is...haven't heard back yet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just replaced my Sirius somethingorother with the new Sirius One that I got a Radio Shack for 50 bucks US.

Here's the things about SatRads: Inner city riding through man-made canyons kills the signal. Riding through nature's canyons can kill the signal. Tree lined avenues can kill the signal. Tunnels, overpasses and bridges can kill the signal. I've even had semi trailers block the signal. Can be very annoying if you're listening to talk. Other than that, when you're out in the boonies and no chance of getting terrestrial radio, SatRads the best. Concur with bounce about MP3 player on hand, too.

As far as I know, none of the radios are waterproof. Just toss 'em in your waterproof tank bag...

·
Registered
11 Posts
twowheelnut said:
Just replaced my Sirius somethingorother with the new Sirius One that I got a Radio Shack for 50 bucks US.

Here's the things about SatRads: Inner city riding through man-made canyons kills the signal. Riding through nature's canyons can kill the signal. Tree lined avenues can kill the signal. Tunnels, overpasses and bridges can kill the signal. I've even had semi trailers block the signal. Can be very annoying if you're listening to talk. Other than that, when you're out in the boonies and no chance of getting terrestrial radio, SatRads the best. Concur with bounce about MP3 player on hand, too.

As far as I know, none of the radios are waterproof. Just toss 'em in your waterproof tank bag...
Interesting that you say that about losing the signal, I hardly ever lose the signal on my XM and most of the cities I've traveled to have terrestrial towers as well as the satellite. I have a friend with Sirius and he's never complained about losing a signal either. Maybe you had the antenna located in a bad place... About the only time I ever lose a signal is sitting at a traffic light under an overpass.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the Sirius Radio Shack $50 special on mine (located inside my top truck, Givi E53, with the antenna affixed to the top of the trunk) for about 3 months. Reception was only so so and it just didn't seem to do the job for me so I removed it. Beware the fine print when signing up for the subscription to the service. I bought a year's worth of service and failed to realize that renewal was automatic on the anniversary date. No notification in advance or even after the fact that my credit card was going to be billed for an additional year. I was able to reverse the charges and eventually after waiting on hold for a "customer service" rep from Sirius for what amounted to over 2 hours total on 3 attempts to get through to them to cancel the service. I also tried to contact Sirius via email as well and never got a response. Customer service indeed.

I finally broke down and bought an IPod Nano and love it. In my opinion, a much better way to go. Especially if you have a pretty extensive music collection on CDs anyway.

Not to steal the thread, but I've also struggled over the past year to come up with a viable solution to actually listening to tunes. I've tried small speakers inside the helmet (3 different types including electronic noise canceling ones for Sennheiser), several different ear bud types that still didn't work well because of the ambient wind and road noise and were horrible when it comes to comfortable inside a helmet. Finally I seem to have found a solution. Noise canceling ear monitors that fit inside the ear canal. Normally used by musicians on stage. There are several out there in various price ranges from $50 to as high as $750. I chose the Shure E3c at $180. They are quite small and come with various interchangeable inserts including ones that block out everything in the way of ambient noise. I don't use those on the bike as it isolates me too much from noises that I'd would like to be aware of such as horns and sirens and the sound of the bike itself. But I've found, in the assortment, some inserts that come pretty close to simulating normal ear plugs in their ability to block out helmet wind noise and some road noise. But since the speakers (or monitors as they are called) are essentially part of the insert, the music comes through loud and clear with astounding fidelity. The comfort level is much better than ear buds in my opinion. But it does take some getting used to, having something actually inside your ear canal. And with a tight fitting helmet there is still some discomfort due to the monitor being hard plastic. I'm having some custom inserts made that will hold the monitors but distribute the pressure over a much greater surface area. I'm hoping that will make them more comfortable over an extended period of time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try Portable XM

I'm using an XM MyFi receiver. I bought it before Christmas from www.buy.com for $85 after a $50 rebate.

It included an internal battery, internal antenna, car kit and home kit with two cradles, two external antennas and two power adaptors. I'm using it at work with recorded programs and the battery holds up all day for me. It not only receives XM but it records up to 5 hours of programming so you can listen even when indoors. I record from 1am to 6am daily. With recordings, it works like an iPod. It has an internal antenna, headphone jack and audio out through the two cradles so you can put it in your pocket and listen without having external connections. The sound is awesome.

My only concern on a bike is whether the headphone audio would be powerful enough to overcome ambient noise. Since I don't have my FJR yet, I can't test that yet. If it's a problem, I'll just feed it into an amplifier.

I LOVE IT !

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Sharkey said:
...Not to steal the thread, but I've also struggled over the past year to come up with a viable solution to actually listening to tunes. I've tried small speakers inside the helmet (3 different types including electronic noise canceling ones for Sennheiser), several different ear bud types that still didn't work well because of the ambient wind and road noise and were horrible when it comes to comfortable inside a helmet. Finally I seem to have found a solution. Noise canceling ear monitors that fit inside the ear canal. Normally used by musicians on stage. There are several out there in various price ranges from $50 to as high as $750. I chose the Shure E3c at $180....
Sharkey and Beachside, I'll say this only once: In-ear moulded speakers/earplugs (call them what you will). Have been discussed many times on the forum, with seemingly universal outcome along the following lines: I tried A, B, C through to Z, spent mucho $$, but the In-ear moulded speakers/earplugs are the way to go. Spend the money there, first, once, and be a happy rider.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use an XM roady on my ST1100, and plan to put a mount on my 06 FJR.
The volume on it is not too high on most earphones. The Sony MDREX71SL
model is the deal @ $40. Better sound and higher output, the next lower model pales in comparison.

Not much of a signal problem, my antenna mounts on my Givi top case.
Drops out some in the mountains, heavy foliage and overpasses. But FM isn't that great as I remember. LOL

Some newer units have larger buffer memories to overide larger signal losses.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
david1300 said:
....the In-ear moulded speakers/earplugs are the way to go. Spend the money there, first, once, and be a happy rider.
+1 8)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts