FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 A on order. I'm coming off my second CBR1100XX, both of which never gave me any problems - ever. It seems like there are lots of "issues" with the FJR - ticking, heat, gas tank vent and a few others I can't recall. It also doesn't sound like Yamaha has been very responsive to customer complaints.

I'm getting worried that I'm going to spend $13K on a beautiful bike with "issues." Even if the heat problem has been fixed - who knows what may show up realted to the 06 mods?

Do you guys have exceptionally high standards or is the FJR a problem child? I rather lose my $500 deposit than buy a bike with issues when there are so many problem free rides available?

Advice?

·
Super Moderator
3,954 Posts
every internet forum focuses on the problems. the total % is relatively small but when you stick them under a microscope they look huge. the advantage is you know about every possible black head or pimply before a dealership will. the disadvantage is that it will appear each is displayed on I-Max.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
+1

Nothing to worry about... unless you're worried about being struck by lightning.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Iv'e had a problem since I got my FJR 4 years ago. Actually, two problems.

Whenever I ride my face aches after a while from the huge smile under my helmet, and everyone I know can tell when I have been riding by the goofy/happy look on my face.

My second problem is that my seductress/FJR always says "(a) let's go that little bit faster, and (b) let's go that little bit further". By balancing (a) against (b) I usually still get 'there' on time, except when delayed by officer friendly.

Other stuff - yes, mine is an '01 Aussie bike, and I've had the valves done long, long ago, with no hassles; and also had the rear seal (driveshaft) replaced under warranty (at the same time). Neither of these were problems for me, however.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can only echo what the previous respondance have said. This is a marvelous bike. The FJR is one of the few examples of a compromise in this world where it may not be the best at anything that it trys to emulate. But I believe it's the best compromise out there today. It's not the fastest bike out there and if you want to reach 180+ mph, you'll be disappointed. It'll only do about 160! But if you want a bike that will cruise all day well into triple digits and never give you an anxious moment except for being nabbed by The Man, it's just the ticket (opps, probably a poor choice of words). It's not as comfy as the Goldwing, but it's close. 1000 mile days without being wracked with soreness afterwards are a given. I know. I'm 63 and have done several. Have I had issues with it? Yes. But only a couple and all have been graciously corrected by the dealer and Yamaha without costing me a dime. It's never left me stranded in 55,000 miles I've put on it in 2-1/2 years of ownership. I ride almost everyday in rain, 100 degree sunny weather and everything in between, and it's always a joy. And I think my story is far more typical than those that complain about the heat, the ticking, or anything else that someone choses to complain about. It just does everything one wants a bike to do with a degree of grace and comfort that sets it apart from most other bikes available today. It looks great and yet doesn't attract the attention of LEOs and others that think all bikes and their riders are a menace to society.

Stop worrying and just enjoy. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Did something like 88,000 miles in 4 years on my first FJR. Nothing done to it other than routine maintenance.
Sharkey said it well.

The fuel tank vent isn't a problem, its an 'on condition' service item. :wink: When its clogged, you unclog it, same as any other bike. The tricky bit is diagnosing the blockage. IMO if you trim the bottom end of the hose as suggested on the old sites home page it doesn't clog up in the first place.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well i can compare directly as i changed from CBR1100XX to Fjr. Both excellent bikes maybe the Honda finish is slightly better & yes its faster but the power on the Fjr is more usable.As for the comfort factor there is no comparison the Fjr has converted me back to long distance touring & the wife loves it. As a pillion she gives marks out of 10 1100XX 3/10 Fjr 10/10. I've certainly had no problems with mine & i do'nt find it any hotter than the CBR or a couple of BMW's ive had.

So what will i get after this Fjr you've guessed another Fjr :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I too will support all that's been said about the FJR being a great bike; best in class, no doubt about it. I am recently returning to the sport touring class after a 2.5 season hiatus on a cruiser, but decided to buy another make/model rather than a '05 FJR, as the '03 FJR I owned developed the ticking defect, :cry: and based on my personal experience dealing with Yamaha Canada, :x and the experiences of dozens of others in dealing with Yamaha in the US, and other jurisdictions, and based on the fact that the "dreaded" tick spans *all* model years up to and including '05s, and based on the fact that Yamaha has never made any statement about the issue, :shock:. But, since the bike *is* "all that", :p I'm waiting on '06 owner reports, especially re the e-box, and if after a year or two of '06's being on the road and owners report no ticking issues, I'll definity take another look at the FJR as the '06s have gone more "touring" re plushness from added weight and lengthened swing arm, and I'm okay with that, (actually, I feel theres a market for a "small wing/big FJR" type bike, ie LST: luxury sport tourer). I never had any other issue with the bike, other than it tends to make one speed, always, everywhere, because it's sooo deliciously powerful in the mid range/roll-ons. Oh yeah, best ST side cases too.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Having changed from sport bikes some 4-years ago i can say that the FJR is the best bike i have ever owned.

Yes it,s not the fastest (fast enough), not the best finished (will not fall to bits) as for problems, the only one that i have had was what i thought was the ticking and got the valves and guides replaced (free of charge), dealer said that the valves and guides were fine and showed me them when the engine was stripped and changed them to make me happy.

This bike has got my wife on the back without having to force her, have met some of the nicest people ever through out love of this machine, had some teriffic weekends away with same people and now am doing the charity ride to Turkey with some of the lovely people met through owning this bike.

Due a new bike this year yup you gessed it will be a FJR.

Buy ride and have some of the best times of your biking life

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh no! Something else to worry about. I've only had the bike 3 months, finally stopped worrying about "overheating" (well it's pretty cold here at the moment) and now I've got "ticking" to contend with. And Sharkey, what's a LEO?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I owned a 03 FJR. Kept it for about 3 years before selling her. I would still have her today if it was not for a change in how/when/where I ride.
The bike NEVER saw a dealer for problem one. My only problem was over farkle, if there is such a condition. Trying to refrain from that on my new scoot. The FJR is not a good ride, it's a GREAT ride. $ well spent. :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
64,000 kms in 2 1/2 years, not a singe 'issue' or problem. Don't worry, you will be asking yourself why you didn't do this sooner. I love the Blackbird too, great bike. The FJR does the same for you with better wind protection and almost as much grunt. No chain maintenance and great protection from the elements when the going gets tough. It's not a GoldWing, but it can make 800 km in heavy rain a lot more rideable than the XX.
Now sit back, relax and start working on your farkle list, starting with sliders to protect you new baby.
Can you make it to Reno in July??

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the great comments. I'm feeling a lot better and looking forward to that first ride in March/April. I never had the Blackbird over 155 anyway - so I'm hoping the FJ will actually be more fun for the speed range I'm comfortable with.

thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think that it's best that you listen to your heart and stay away from the FJR. I also must ask you "why in Gods name would you purchase a bike with a ton of KNOWN problems". :? Shurly you can wait until Yamaha get's them all sorted out.

With that being said, I would like to help you solve your problem of having put down $500.00 for what's surly to be "Just Another Hot, Ticking FJR".

I will give you your $500 down payment back and take the bike off your hands. And, since um' in a good mood tonight, I kick-in another 50 bucks.

Whatch think :?:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts