FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding yesterday, I got a diagnostic code 90. Brake light was constantly on and cruise control light was blinking when I tried to activate it. (It wouldn't). Other thing that I noticed was I wasn't hearing the two clicks when I applied front brake. I pulled the front brake switch and split the case, sprayed it with contact cleaner, turned the key on and the code was gone. Pushed cruise control button and the light had stopped blinking. Then activated the switch and got the error and blinking CC light. Checked the stop signal fuse and it was blown. Replaced it and now have everything working except that the front brake lever doesn't activate the brake light.

Real leery of things that get "fixed" by replacing a fuse. Have a trip planned next week and would really like to have this sorted out, to the point of laying out $100 for the switch. Thought I'd check here first as I know this has come up. All suggestions appreciated and

Thanks in advance-
Jim in BR

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,323 Posts
The clutch and front brake switches get road dirt in them that prevents the plunger from returning completely.. they become intermittent. Cleaning is all you can do. I'd work on the switches some more to see if brake lights resume function.

·
Registered
14 Posts
After riding yesterday, I got a diagnostic code 90. Brake light was constantly on and cruise control light was blinking when I tried to activate it. (It wouldn't). Other thing that I noticed was I wasn't hearing the two clicks when I applied front brake. I pulled the front brake switch and split the case, sprayed it with contact cleaner, turned the key on and the code was gone. Pushed cruise control button and the light had stopped blinking. Then activated the switch and got the error and blinking CC light. Checked the stop signal fuse and it was blown. Replaced it and now have everything working except that the front brake lever doesn't activate the brake light.

Real leery of things that get "fixed" by replacing a fuse. Have a trip planned next week and would really like to have this sorted out, to the point of laying out $100 for the switch. Thought I'd check here first as I know this has come up. All suggestions appreciated and

Thanks in advance-
Jim in BR
I experienced the same problem with the blinking cruise control light and intermittent inability to activate the cruise control on my 2013 FJR. After a few failed attempts at diagnosis and repair at the local dealer and cleaning the front brake lever brake light switch myself to no avail: I finally purchased the front break lever brake light switch and brought it to the dealer. They agreed to install the part under extended warranty. Cruise control has worked flawlessly for the past 20K miles. I forget what I paid for the new switch but it was worth every penny to fix the very irritating/frustrating cruise control issue I was experiencing... I hope this helps...

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks in advance-
Jim in BR
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1178299-post17.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dealer feels that it will take 3 hours or more to replace the front brake light switch (recalled by Yamaha). This suggests that the mechanic doesn't have a clue about the FJR. Does anyone have instructions for replacing the switch?

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,323 Posts
Labour hours for the switch recall are 0.9 hrs.
See following thread post #38 and 82........ also attaching the instructions (Korean).........

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts