FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,324 Posts
I have not had one of these in my hand, but according to Yamaha, there should be ramped sections that pull together as you accelerate or apart if you decelerate (hard). The spring arrangement can be "weaker", thus lighter lever pull. So, pressure plate and clutch boss will be different for the slipper....

My Versys1000 has a slipper, cable operated, I can feel it slip (barely) if I'm in the friction zone trying to modulate it... clutch pull is very light.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have not had one of these in my hand, but according to Yamaha, there should be ramped sections that pull together as you accelerate or apart if you decelerate (hard). The spring arrangement can be "weaker", thus lighter lever pull. So, pressure plate and clutch boss will be different for the slipper....
The pressure plate and clutch boss are completely different. Same basket though

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
2016 clutch boss and pressure plate assembly. You can see the 3 oval holes that allow the pressure plate to rotate on the ramps
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

2016 side view where you can see the ramping
Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Engineering Bumper

2007 assembly - just a flat fixed plate that engages the clutch boss so it cannot twist.
Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle part Alloy wheel Rim

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Adding this quote from Ray - I think he posted it on the wrong thread
Just and FYI....... Going back to the old days before the slipper........ to make the clutch pull slightly lighter on a Gen2, some of us swapped out the clutch slave for a Gen1...... it has a larger bore, but lever travel was also slightly more. Not a huge difference, and you had to adjust the lever another notch out (greater reach for those with short fingers).
Not entirely sure, but I think Gen3 went with the Gen1 slave.... would have to measure one to be sure....
Looking at partzilla docs it appears that 2005 and 2016 share the same clutch master AND slave
The 2007 uses a different master and slave

Makes sense that if they increased the bore on the slave that a similar change would be made to the master to accommodate the additional fluid demand

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
One more piece of the puzzle - EBC - CT-017 basket holder from Amazon . Now just waiting for part 16, which will be here Friday or Saturday
Plumbing fixture Wood Material property Font Gas

Required a little modification since you can't get the tool straight in.
Automotive tire Hood Gear Automotive design Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Bumper Bicycle tire Automotive exterior Hood

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Well I have a 2015A that if I want this I am gonna have to pay someone to do it as it is above my ability BUT I do like looking at the pics !!!

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Part 17 showed up today and seems like it is just an assembly aid, could have done the same thing with a piece of safety wire. But does make it a lot easier to get the bushing/wave plate and first clutch plate held in place so that the 1st friction disc doesn't slide out of place. Just need to set the final torque on the 3 pressure plate bolts and put the cover and gasket back on. Raining like crazy so I'll probably just do some testing in the garage for today. I will say that if I had everything I needed when I started, that this is maybe a 90 minute job - assuming presoaking the clutches.
Tire Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
875 Posts
Great pics,Chuck!! Very nice detail!

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
All torqued down and reassembled. Thanks to @fjrlee for the 7.2 ft lb value for the pressure plate bolts. Seems to all be working fine on the center stand. Clutch pull with the fish scale is around 12-14 lbs. Not sure how accurate that is but it measured 20 before the swap. Finally stopped raining, so maybe I will get it out later for a road test.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The review - weird, I was not expecting this big a difference. The lever pull is about 1/3 less than before. Shifting is incredibly smooth. I tend to be very on/off with the clutch when shifting and this takes any sensation of dropping into another gear away. Only put about 20 miles on it, but I am a fan.

·
Registered
2008 Fjr1300, 2012 CBF1000
120 Posts
The review - weird, I was not expecting this big a difference. The lever pull is about 1/3 less than before. Shifting is incredibly smooth. I tend to be very on/off with the clutch when shifting and this takes any sensation of dropping into another gear away. Only put about 20 miles on it, but I am a fan.
Thanks for the write up! I'm putting this on my radar for this winter's project. I tried cleaning and lubing the lever up, but I'm still finding the pull too much, especially during a long day and some traffic.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks for the write up! I'm putting this on my radar for this winter's project. I tried cleaning and lubing the lever up, but I'm still finding the pull too much, especially during a long day and some traffic.
It appears that you might also get a lighter pull by swapping to the newer/older slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder.

I've actually got a 2016 slave from the same bike my clutch came off of. Have not decided yet if I want to try it out with the existing master on my 2007. Maybe someday when I am bored - wouldn't take much to install it and try it out.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts