FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I would start a thread on this with some findings on this modification as I go along. This is all based on the 2 wheel obsession article/video here: Link

To start I bought a complete 2016 clutch assembly off ebay - saved about $140 over buying all the parts new at Partzilla. The only new stuff I ordered was a clutch cover gasket and an EBC basket wrench. Part 16 was missing from my ebay stuff, I suspect they just cut it. I'll use #16 from my current clutch setup.

The used parts arrived and had not been labeled or put back on the basket, so a little detective work needed to be done to figure out a few things. My first task was to separate the clutches and plates. It was pretty apparent which plates #6 had been riding against clutch disks #5 on one side, so I'll ultimately put them back in the same spots. The one I was trying to figure out was #17. Looking at the Partzilla listings #17 is a tuning plate that is either 1.6/2.0 or 2.6mm thick. The 2.0 plate has the same part number as #6 and the #17 plate in my stack had to be a 2.0 since that is what every one of them measured. That is about it for today, basket wrench should be here tomorrow and I might start the disassembly phase then.
Motor vehicle Font Auto part Drawing Illustration

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should note that I am going to flush the clutch line tonight and then ride the bike again before messing with the slipper clutch so that I can get a real idea of how much this helps the clutch pull. I should also say that I had planned on this being a winter mod, but I did some damage to the middle finger on my left hand lifting something I shouldn't have and the clutch lever on the FJR has been causing me pain for a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
818 Posts
Nice detail, Chuck!

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,165 Posts
Heckuva deal over buying new...... it will be a good project.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flushed the clutch line out this evening and also greased all the lever pivot points. Can't say that it made any difference other than getting rid of a squeak that lever had.
Anyone know how many lb pull the clutch should have on a gen 2? Using a digital pull scale it was around 18- 20.lbs to get the clutch to the grip.

Also tossed all the clutches in some oil to give them a good soak before assembly.
Wood Gas Auto part Ingredient Rectangle

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
I like your method better! I put mine in a ziplock bag to soak...

Reactions: Oldjeep

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
But seeing those foil trays, now I want to go to a BBQ and eat some brisket! LOL

Reactions: ReRose

·
Registered
2006 FRJ1300A
49 Posts
I've had the parts since June for a winter project. Looking forward to your assessment. Did this on an FJ09 a couple years ago and I liked the result. Perhaps it goes without saying, but mind the steel ball!

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had the parts since June for a winter project. Looking forward to your assessment. Did this on an FJ09 a couple years ago and I liked the result. Perhaps it goes without saying, but mind the steel ball!
Yup on the steel ball. I'm planning on doing the swap on the side stand so I don't need to worry about it as much ;) Looks like a pretty quick project, might get started tonight - waiting on my basket wrench but I can likely just zip the nut off without it - really only need it for reinstallation.

·
Registered
2006 FRJ1300A
49 Posts
That nut was a bear for me. Didn't have a basket wrench. Used a heat gun on the nut, 5th gear, and a piece of wood through the wheel and swing arm to immobilize the engine. Fearing too much heat I gently kept adding more until the nut broke loose. After that, the project went quickly. Oh, and doing this on the sidestand is the way to go. Helps keep all the plates in place during reassembly.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That nut was a bear for me. Didn't have a basket wrench. Used a heat gun on the nut, 5th gear, and a piece of wood through the wheel and swing arm to immobilize the engine. Fearing too much heat I gently kept adding more until the nut broke loose. After that, the project went quickly. Oh, and doing this on the sidestand is the way to go. Helps keep all the plates in place during reassembly.
I've got a 800 ft/lb impact wrench getting stuff apart is typically not an issue. Plan is to just leave it in neutral and give it a couple of uga duggas. The last clutch I did, the basket wrench made easy work of torqueing down the nut. Unfortunately the Suzuki basket wrench I already had doesn't fit the Yamahas. It's one of those single use tools, but you can typically sell it to the next guy for $5 less than you paid for it.

·
Registered
98 VFR800, 2013A
48 Posts
I watched the video a while back. I have some other priorities right now but tagging the thread for interest. I'd like to do this at some point.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So. I took it all apart and found a couple of things
1) There was no part #16 in the clutch on my bike - according to the 2007 drawing that I should have also looked at there is not one on a 2007. That part does appear starting in 2009.
2) The plates were all burnt really badly for a bike that has just under 21K miles. Not sure what the cause of this is.

Came apart easy enough, took about 20 minutes and 5 of that was taking the crash bar off. @RaYzerman or anyone else - what is the purpose of #16 anyways? An assembly aid? They are $12 so no big deal but likely also a week wait to get one.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Hood

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Gear Crankset Rim Bicycle part

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Wow, I've never seen steels burned like that!! Oil starved maybe??

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, I've never seen steels burned like that!! Oil starved maybe??
Possible. The bike seems like it pretty much sat for 10 years before I bought it. Clutch seemed fine to me using it

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,165 Posts
The brownish looks more like crud. Can you scrub it off? Due to lack of oil, the friction plates would crud up like some kind of dirt build-up, and it never got washed away....... no worries.... The blue spots are burnt blue, and that's what you get for a dry clutch.... meaning, a soak is a good thing..... your spots aren't all that serious, truly burnt (abused) would mean blue all over...
While folks did clutch soaks, they noticed a blackish grit on the edges of the friction plates........

The #16 was a change of mind by Yamaha.... it's a retaining wire to hold the first two plates in place (the two that actually do get oil flow), and the farthest plate in is actually a spring..... Gen1 had it and the basket has a groove and two holes to place the two bent ends of the wire in..... gone for 2006-08, then brought it back for '09 to present. Who knows, cost reduction? Did they bring it back because it actually had some function? Dunno.
Note it is a PITA to get back in, take your time..... I don't know if you want to leave it out or not, I don't think anybody had any issues with it not being there.

Diagram of the oil flow....... Yellow is actual by design, the red is what we'd all want ideally......... No one ever figured out how to achieve that.

Rectangle Engineering Cylinder Font Gas

Reactions: Oldjeep

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is a lot of crud on the plates, but also a lot of blued burn spots like you see on auto trans steels when the trans has been slipping. Not using any clutches or steels from the original stack, so no worries.
I ordered that part 16, might as well use it and I can just ride the fz1 for a few days until it gets here.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I was thinking that the 2016 basket has some extra holes in it to aide in lubing the plates and this update started in 2015 I want to say. On my 14 when it was new they replaced the clutch Assy several times due to the clutch plates basically welding themselves together with a black goo that required a hammer & screwdriver to break things apart. All within the first 1000mi.

If I remember correctly the last time (4th set) they replaced everything including the clutch basket with the updated piece (added lube holes). This was done to improve the clutch plate lubing. The 2016 piece should be noticeably better than your 07 piece’s imho.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I'll have to take a look. Was not planning on replacing the basket itself, although I did get one with the 2016 stuff

Edit:
I went out and looked and the 2007 and 2016 are identical, right down to the part number that is on them. Looking at Partzilla, they also list the same number for 2007 and 2016 for the basket (5JW-16150-00-00)

What you may be thinking of is the clutch boss - part #3 (3P6-16371-10-00 )
That has a revision number on it (-10-) which indicates that the part has changed some over time. The 2016 version I have does have 2 more oil holes than the 2007, but it is also a very different part in other ways due to the way the springs attach, instead of the spring plate.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts