FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Topic says it.. is the PowerCommander really worth the admittance? I am not unhappy with how the FJR runs, but the slight surging when filtering through traffic can be annoying, and I feel it could pick up better and more powerful from 2500-3000rpm. Now it's like it has to think about it for a sec before it jumps forward.

But at 300 bucks, it is not the cheapest piece of equipment, so I'd like to know if it is worth its price.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I still swear it was the single best item I put on my 03 FJR. I used Liquids "Carb Simulator" map. I haven't been able to ride my 06 enough to decide if it needs it. Doctor says four more weeks before I can put weight on the leg. As I recall my brief ride from the dealer home the bike seemed to be better sorted out injection wise than my 03.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would say no. I installed PCIII and LeoVince slip-ons AND K&N filters AANNDD tuned by a professional in MJP 2100 inertia dynamometer. Got +8 hp and +7 Nm extra and filled that 4500 rpm dropdown. Still power & torque dropdown in 5500 rpm. But total costs were 1800 € (over $2300):shock: Though it might be cheaper in US. Big positive output were good response to throttle and sounds. Hmm... and you may notice that there is no dropdown around that 4500 rpm in normal drive (it is somewhere at 60 mph/100 kmh and try to accelerate).
I propose that forget the whole thing, or if you got that money, just to change slip-ons. You get the throttle response and sound. Something for yourself and your neighbourgs :lol:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I fitted the PCIII to cure surging just as you have afterburn - it did.

No amount of throttle body synchs would stop it.

So, it depends on your personal preference, accept the surging or not.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
If it's stops the surging for you it's worth it! But with careful setup & time the surging it can be almost eliminated without one.

But I found the PC is quite useful if used with the accel function which can give intant responce anywhere you would like.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
afterburn said:
Woody, what kind of map do you use? zero+ accel pump? What pump settings?
Yes thats right, Cant remember off hand done it months ago, but it's about 20% extra fuel, 10% throttle and 15-20 cycles.

But this is a personal setting you my need more or less, also if you are using one of the other maps supplied by Dynojet any extra fuel supplied by the Accel feature will not make any difference as it would be over fueling because most of them allow about 20% extra in the lower rev band.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Does anyone know yet whether the Power Commander will fit the '06 model?

Alan

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
woody said:
Does it need one?
I mostly put one on my 03 to cool it down, which it did. The 06 has no heat issues and fuels very nicely.

It's a bit abrupt at the on/off transition but otherwise, I'm getting along pretty well with my 06 and at this point I'd say no, it doesn't need one.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered one at a very good price (wholesale, don't ask) so I will be anxiously waiting for its arrival and I can play with it. I will start with the map for the the standard Euro spec FJR, and make an appointment with a highly regarded tuner close to here for a custom map.

Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will. :) Will post initial impressions with the default euro map, and the custom map once I get a chance to do that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, first impression (only got about an hour seat time today, crap weather):

- surging seems to be gone
- bike picks up immediately at or below 3000rpm, instead taking a sec before taking off
- sound is slightly different, more smooth.
- vibration seems to be less, though his really wasn't an issue for me. Just noticed, or better yet, didn't notice any

More to come.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You could argue that no brand new bike 'needs' a Power Commander. Or a new exhaust, or the Wilburs suspension, or a fork brace, or braided-steel brake lines. But I put all that on my '05, some when it was brand new (pipe, PCIII), some later (Wilburs suspension front and rear). I like what the PCIII did to the throttle response. Smoothed it out to the extent that the bike 'carburets' just about perfectly now. Worth it to me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I fitted one yesterday on my 05 and went for a short ride to make sure I hadnt cocked anything up

First thing I noticed was that in traffic the throttle response is far more accurate . I hadnt realised until then that I was ready all the time to adjust for the little surges and now I dont have to :D

Then it was noticeable how much smoother take up was and decelleration far less jerking in the seat , yes definitely Smooother

But the biggest surprise was in the bends , after 22K miles I was thinking it was about time to think about suspension upgrades ,but what I found was that I could go into bends with more confidence and put the power on in the bend to pull me out of it without any unwanted surges . The bike felt far more accurate in the bends with less bobbles because the power feed in was so smooth

The last thing that I got the power commander for was to try and reduce some heat from the bike , mine is one of the ones that roast your nuts in the hot weather and my thinking is that if the bike runs richer there will be less heat. Mine has always run lean and I am able on my commuting to get 250 miles to the tankful , so reducing the mpg wont be too much of a pain if it reduces the heat. It was too chilly last night to find out if this has worked yet but by friday I will have done another 300 miles commuting and will know the answer.
:D

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
errr, have you seen the weather forecast tonto? you'll still be freezing yer nuts off for the rest of the week and any heat would be welcome anyway :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
well rabbit I have decided my next farkle will be snorkle mask and flippers especially after spending all last weekend getting to and riding round North Wales
:roll:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts