FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to look into exhaust systems for a FJR-AE. I figured what if I go full boat and get the HoleShot headers, PCIII, Remus or Sebring Slip on and remap it all. Just how bonkers will the ECU that controls the shifting management system go????? Will I have to re-program the the ECU for the clutch also? If so I know there's nothing available for it yet.

I need the Gurus on this one.

BTW, just how illegal is removing the cat and going with straight headers?

Mel

·
Registered
949 Posts
qmotion said:
BTW, just how illegal is removing the cat and going with straight headers?
Mel
Damn boy - you goin straight to hell for that one !! (At least you'll have a lot of like minded souls to chat to )

·
Registered
425 Posts
that's even a federal fine in South Dakota

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
qmotion said:
I'm starting to look into exhaust systems for a FJR-AE. I figured what if I go full boat and get the HoleShot headers, PCIII, Remus or Sebring Slip on and remap it all. Just how bonkers will the ECU that controls the shifting management system go????? Will I have to re-program the the ECU for the clutch also? If so I know there's nothing available for it yet.

Mel
Why do you think it will make any difference? I wouldnt think it will make any difference.
Can you get a PC for the AE model yet?
If you mess with the ABS system the semi-box may start to play up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
to qmotion, why not just buy one of the new 197 HP crotch rockets and be done with it. I can't use all the ponies I have now. ride safe 8)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
starwolf said:
to qmotion, why not just buy one of the new 197 HP crotch rockets and be done with it. I can't use all the ponies I have now. ride safe 8)
I guess some of us have a need for speed greater than others. The fact that I'm a 340 lb man precepitates that I need more horsepower to achieve the same amount of fun and speed as say a 150 lb person. At 49 years of age I'm also looking for a certain comfort level. The 2005 FJR that I had provided both but I found myself wishing it had a little more power, especially when I was riding doulbe up with my lady. If I had a crystal ball and knew for certain that Kawasaki was going to come out with a GTR-1400 Sport Tourer using some derivative of the ZX-14's motor, that would be the bike for me. Considering I can't forsee the future, the Yamaha FJR is the next best thing going. If you were perhaps a more experienced rider I'm certain that you would be able to use all the ponies you had now. Some of us can handle a little more.

Peace !!!!!

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
starwolf said:
I feel his pain. In central FL, might be fine to remove a couple of the spark plugs, too. I'll be riding down there next week. :shock:

:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bounce said:
I'm a 340 lb man

I found myself wishing it had a little more power, especially when I was riding doulbe up with my lady.
Doesn't that put you over the GVW of the bike?
Yep by about 100 lbs. The bike still carried us to 145 MPH indicated by the speedometter which is probably higher than actual speed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts