FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the forums (long time lurker) and in a few months I am going to inherit my dad's FJR 2005. 馃榿

I would like to add a power commander, which it wont be a big deal, many people in the forums have one connected.
However, we are in 2021, PC III is discontinued and PC V is incompatible, at least that's what dynojet page says.

I am looking for more info, but it seems the bike is too old 馃槩

I would like, If any of you guys know, to have more information about it like the following:
What can I do or buy? Which reference should I look for?
Is PCV compatible with GEN I?

If you need more info, I will provide asap.

Thanks in advance!!!

Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
You need a PC 3. Just keep an eye out on ebay for a used one.

As an aside - why? Bike makes plenty of power stock. I have a PCV on my 07 but that is to clean up some low throttle issues that they have, not to create any more power.

Registered
2017 FJR1300ES and 2016 FZ-09
try a company called Vcyclenut, you send them the brain and they reflash it, lots of people are real happy with the result (i also have a FZ-09 and they love it over there)

Registered
Yes. As an old Power Commander guy, having the ECU re-flashed is the way to go these days, IMHO.

Premium Member
Have you done a dyno run to get real-time data for analysis? Gen 1 FJR's have a number of characteristics that contribute to fueling inconsistences. A re-flash, PC or Dobeck will not solve but kind of cover up to degree. Validate what the problems are first. Complete a compression, leak-down, and fuel pressure test with a dyno run before you introduce changes to the current system causing yet more problems to solve.

Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
Problem with a reflash is that you have to hope that you like what the tuner is doing, especially in terms of fueling when the throttle closes. Unless you can try someones bike or are willing to buy an extra ECU you are hosed if you find that you don't like it.

Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
All of the above, yes........ you're jumping the gun. Put some miles on this thing and see if you really need anything....... ride the season out and decide next year.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. As an old Power Commander guy, having the ECU re-flashed is the way to go these days, IMHO.
try a company called Vcyclenut, you send them the brain and they reflash it, lots of people are real happy with the result (i also have a FZ-09 and they love it over there)
It is a very interesting option, but also an expensive one, at least here in Spain.
I agree with Oldjeep last comment. I can have something I dont like and throw 650+ 鈧 compared to a returnable (and modifiable) PC3 350鈧

Have you done a dyno run to get real-time data for analysis?
Same, not that common in Spain, and very expensive. Would be cool, but not for those prices.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All of the above, yes........ you're jumping the gun. Put some miles on this thing and see if you really need anything....... ride the season out and decide next year.
Thanks, but nope, not jumping the gun on a bike my dad made 60000 miles on it, which 2500 miles mine in the last year. Enough to know it.
The friend I mentioned with a PC 3 has "Wally Kilburg Smooth Map" and it makes a real difference. Less choked on lows, better response, smoother overall.
I just want that.

Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
OK so you know what you want, I didn't realize you have miles on the bike. The Wally Smoothness map added fuel, so mileage will go down. You can tweak the maps yourself once you have a PC3. Suggest you post a Wanted ad......

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK so you know what you want, I didn't realize you have miles on the bike. The Wally Smoothness map added fuel, so mileage will go down. You can tweak the maps yourself once you have a PC3. Suggest you post a Wanted ad......
I think I will. Hopefully someone is Europe willing to sell it 馃

Premium Member
How much does it cost to ship to Espa帽a from the US? Or are there duties on used electronics?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How much does it cost to ship to Espa帽a from the US? Or are there duties on used electronics?
It is nearly impossible to buy something in the US and save (at least worth it). Sometimes the shipping is fair, like 20$, sometimes they treat Europe like central Africa and charge you with 90$ 馃槬
Besides, there are a lot of duties, and taxes.

Premium Member
FJR1300 A, TMax 530 DX, Tracer GT900, XS850, Niken
I have one here that I took off my 04 FJR. It is in perfect condition and is plug and play. I will check what the postage to Spain would be and we can agree a price if you are interested.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have one here that I took off my 04 FJR. It is in perfect condition and is plug and play. I will check what the postage to Spain would be and we can agree a price if you are interested.
Yep I am interested in it, price, shipping, etc

For now, my main option as soon as my father buys his new motorcycle, is this I found from Estonia (thanks to the reference Oldjeep kindly gave):

However... I can see you are from Ireland and that's very interesting because my dad is looking for new FJRs or used Goldwings.
Currently he is talking with a guy from Scotland with a Goldwing. Maybe we would go for the Honda if he makes a deal, and come back riding it. Dublin is on route...
I'll keep you informed about it.

And thanks!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts