FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you came to my house expecting to remove parts and go through all that I'd give you about an hr then you either buy it or you don't. if you're that worried about it go buy a new bike and quit wasting my time.
Aside from taking the seats off and maybe popping the brake/clutch fluid covers, no parts are removed. It's a 15 minute check, if that, not including the time for the test ride. It has nothing to do with being worried about it - it's about understanding what you're purchasing to see if the price is worth it. It's also a basic safety check/walk around.

·
Registered
2007 FJR 1300A
54 Posts
@lifeon2whls Excellent suggestions for thoroughly checking out the bike but... didn't OP already get a ride AND spend 2+ hours going over it and asking questions?
If you came to my house expecting to remove parts and go through all that I'd give you about an hr then you either buy it or you don't. if you're that worried about it go buy a new bike and quit wasting my time.
If I had done that when I looked at mine I think the seller might've kicked in me in the nuts and told me to get lost :LOL:

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
2,152 Posts
Cmdr,

Unless you want a much newer bike for your money, I'd say you are looking at a fine deal, from a good owner.
I can see wanting to get eyeballs on the Cam Chain Tensioner (no dis-assembly, just an inspection mirror and a strong flashlight) to see the green dot. Win or lose there, maybe considering the CCT (if needed), I think from here that you will not find a better bike, from a better owner.. It sounds like a solid value to me. I would not dicker for a few hundred off at this point, but that's just me. I'd say Done Deal and accept any future maintenance as just the price of a great ride. My 2008 was the best money I ever spent on a bike, and the most expensive vehicle I have owned. No regrets here.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
  • Make sure the bike is cold when you see it and watch the tail pipes when you start it. If the weather is cold there might be some condensation but you don't want any white smoke (oil burning)
I respectfully disagree. White smoke is water vapor, meaning condensation. If it smells acrid then there's a head gasket issue, meaning coolant is getting into the combustion chamber.

Oil burning would be blue smoke.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
Well, he's already spent 2 hrs. with the owner, developed the rapport and it's time to pony up an offer or leave it. I had a guy buying a bike from me who initially seemed OK, experienced rider, and we'd discussed how he'd get the bike to the shop to do the safety, etc. Third time discussion was could I ride it to there, get the safety at the shop, then ride it to his place and he'd drive me back home (1.5 hrs.). I said no, and he got all huffy. Told him he was off my Christmas card list.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had a guy buying a bike from me who initially seemed OK, experienced rider, and we'd discussed how he'd get the bike to the shop to do the safety, etc. Third time discussion was could I ride it to there, get the safety at the shop, then ride it to his place and he'd drive me back home (1.5 hrs.). I said no, and he got all huffy. Told him he was off my Christmas card list.
Here in Texas, outside the US, the seller has the option to leave the plates on the vehicle or take the plates off the vehicle and keep them. If the plates are left on the vehicle and the new owner delays transferring the title paperwork, all the toll road tolls, speed camera tickets, red light camera tickets, crime scene escapes, etc. incurred by the new owner are billed to the sellers' accounts based on the license plate. It's in the seller's best interest to remove the plates and keep them. There is even the option to transfer the old plate to a new vehicle if desired (fee involved). Texas also requires the vehicle to be safety inspected before new plates can be purchased or renewed. Removing the license plate forces the new owner to transfer the title paperwork to their name in order to get new license plates.

When I last sold a scooter, I got the safety inspection done ($7) so the new owner could transfer the title paperwork and get new license plate, drove the scooter to the new owner's house, removed the license plate and he drove me back home (30 - 40 minutes) where he picked up the other items not carried on the scooter. A couple of days later the new owner called asking where the license plate was. I explained he had to get his own!! I didn't get a Christmas card from him.

dan

Sometimes in Life you have to learn to take the bad with the bitter. -- Unknown

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,212 Posts
Here in Texas, outside the US, the seller has the option to leave the plates on the vehicle or take the plates off the vehicle and keep them. If the plates are left on the vehicle and the new owner delays transferring the title paperwork, all the toll road tolls, speed camera tickets, red light camera tickets, crime scene escapes, etc. incurred by the new owner are billed to the sellers' accounts based on the license plate. It's in the seller's best interest to remove the plates and keep them. There is even the option to transfer the old plate to a new vehicle if desired (fee involved). Texas also requires the vehicle to be safety inspected before new plates can be purchased or renewed. Removing the license plate forces the new owner to transfer the title paperwork to their name in order to get new license plates.

When I last sold a scooter, I got the safety inspection done ($7) so the new owner could transfer the title paperwork and get new license plate, drove the scooter to the new owner's house, removed the license plate and he drove me back home (30 - 40 minutes) where he picked up the other items not carried on the scooter. A couple of days later the new owner called asking where the license plate was. I explained he had to get his own!! I didn't get a Christmas card from him.

dan

Sometimes in Life you have to learn to take the bad with the bitter. -- Unknown
Here in MN plates stay with the vehicle. When you sell it you go to the DPS website, report the sale with the new owners information and any future issues are theirs - even if they never transfer the title.

Reactions: 2GENAE

·
Registered
272 Posts
Here in MN plates stay with the vehicle. When you sell it you go to the DPS website, report the sale with the new owners information and any future issues are theirs - even if they never transfer the title.
In Texas there is also a method to report the sale to the state with the new owner's information, and I do that. But considering government efficiency and questionable practices, I don't trust that system at all. And the toll road agencies, local red light camera operators, etc. don't necessarily check the state records, or care.

Forcing the new owner to transfer the title paperwork to get new plates in their name, and the seller keeping the old plates out of circulation solves those issues with no extra effort on the seller's part.

dan

It's a good thing we don't get all the government we pay for. -- Will Rogers

Reactions: 2GENAE and Whooshka

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
In Jersey you sign over the title and keep your plates. I personally have the buyer sign a bill of sale so I can prove the bike is no longer mine and that relieves me of responsibility and liability. You can then transfer your plates to a new bike or you must turn them in.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,212 Posts
I am so glad we have the system we have. Buying a used vehicle sounds like a huge pain in the ass in some states. Here I hand them cash and drive. No temp plates, no inspections, nothing but a 15 minute trip to the DMV within 14 days to register/ re title it.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
All used vehicles here require a Safety Inspection by a mechanic (~$100), and a trip to the DMV as you call it, transfer is done on the spot, walk out with your new plates and title.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,212 Posts
Hopefully you live somewhere that you can ride it for a while. 27f here today. Season is just about over.

Reactions: CmdrLinguini

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
So since they did the sub lead, how much do I have to worry?

EDIT
I read all of page 4. Rumblestrip posted "Brodie Link"
Great resource for this I have a "Brodie" ground on my 2008...

Research location of #6 add a larger ground wire to the #6 connector that has the distribution clip that looks like a spider.
It's the next spider downstream from #4. Remove left side fairing it's under the glove box.
I also packed the spider connectors with Ox Guard anti corrosion paste.
I purchased my 2008 AE from Dan Cooper as I have known him for 30 years, his help teaching me all these maintance issues was a HUGE help.
Same for Ray aka RaYzerman and several others here that make this site awesome.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,957 Posts
I want to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread and has helped me. You all have certainly not held back your opinions and I appreciate how candid some of you were. I will be purchasing the bike on Sunday and am glad I will be part of this community!
Curious, did you do the deed?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Curious, did you do the deed?
I did! Waiting to get a few more rides under my belt before I post in the new members intro thread. Really happy with my purchase so far. Just installed the T-Rex luggage bars and I'm waiting for my R Gaza engine guards but they're taking a long time to ship.

·
Registered
603 Posts
WTH are you talking about?
When it comes to things like vehicle registration it is inefficient to have so many different ways to accomplish the same basic task. This is only one small example in a huge number of common every day tasks that 50 state governments perform differently with the end result being the same. Think about it.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts