FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The title says it all. Currently looking at picking up one of these beautiful bikes. The seller is asking $5,000.
  • Single Owner
  • Never Dropped
  • Full maintenance record
What should I look for when I look at the bike/look through the maintenance record? Is this a good price? Would it be smart or insulting to haggle lower?
I've heard these bikes can go for 100k+ miles if taken care of, so is 55k miles something to be worried about?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,615 Posts
Heck, just getting broken in..... they'll go way more than 100k.
I can't speak too much about prices on your side of the border, but if it's in excellent shape, had it's regular oil and fluid changes, likely $5k isn't awful....

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Since you asked... I think the price is high for the year and mileage. Heck for $2K more you can probably find a Gen 3 (2013+) with a fraction of the mileage. Just my opinion. Offer $4200 and try to get it for $4500.

Reactions: CmdrLinguini

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
2,152 Posts
Check the Cam Chain Tensioner. It should have a green dot on the mounting flange. You can inspect it with a strong light and an inspection mirror; no dis-assembly required. No dot, blue dot? that's an old CCT, and needs to be replaced before it lets the engine self-destruct. The 2008 should be okay (green dot), but that was the change-over year for CCTs. Better to be sure.
2007 funny engine noise?

Get any and all maintenance records, even if it's just a handscribble list from the owner.
Get a list of all modifications on the bike, and who makes them, in case you need something on a mod - the factory can't help there.
Most FJRs will have an improved seat, windshield, and handlebar risers of some sort. The owner should have those mods on his list of mods. You can lower the seat easily, and there are other options if the seat is still too tall (wide) for your stature.
If the tires have good tread depth, check the Tire Date Codes for age. For the strong and hefty FJR, about 5~8 years is the most age you want on a tire. A lot of tread depth remaining on an old tire is still bad news. Purchase dates can be meaningless; tire sellers may unload their old stock at discount prices.
Replace any tire that is worn to the tread bars (1/16" or less tread).
Check tire pressures before you ride it. You want 40 PSI Front/ 42 PSI Rear normally. A few PSI either way can change the handling, maybe by a little,, maybe by a lot.
If you have JIS screwdrivers (NOT Phillips), you can look into the hydraulic fluid reservoirs on the handlebars. Check the rear brake reservoir in any case. These fluids should be clean and clear. You can check these fluid levels without any dis-assembly.
An Owners Manual would be nice; you can download one from Yamaha. Any repair manuals in the deal will be a fine bonus.
If the bike looks good so far, I'd take the owner out for a meal. A friendly Previous Owner can still be a good asset to you, far beyond the selling price.
Post any concerns here, maybe we can help.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A, 2003 FZ1 "Bee"
774 Posts
If looking at the service history, see if valve adjustments have been done. At 55k, 1 if not 2 should have been done.
Red has the excellent reminder of the cam chain tensioner.
On the mileage thing, my 2013 has over 100k and still is rock solid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check the Cam Chain Tensioner. It should have a green dot on the mounting flange. You can inspect it with a strong light and an inspection mirror; no dis-assembly required. No dot, blue dot? that's an old CCT, and needs to be replaced before it lets the engine self-destruct. The 2008 should be okay (green dot), but that was the change-over year for CCTs. Better to be sure.
2007 funny engine noise?

Get any and all maintenance records, even if it's just a handscribble list from the owner.
Get a list of all modifications on the bike, and who makes them, in case you need something on a mod - the factory can't help there.
Most FJRs will have an improved seat, windshield, and handlebar risers of some sort. The owner should have those mods on his list of mods. You can lower the seat easily, and there are other options if the seat is still too tall (wide) for your stature.
If the tires have good tread depth, check the Tire Date Codes for age. For the strong and hefty FJR, about 5~8 years is the most age you want on a tire. A lot of tread depth remaining on an old tire is still bad news. Purchase dates can be meaningless; tire sellers may unload their old stock at discount prices.
Replace any tire that is worn to the tread bars (1/16" or less tread).
Check tire pressures before you ride it. You want 40 PSI Front/ 42 PSI Rear normally. A few PSI either way can change the handling, maybe by a little,, maybe by a lot.
If you have JIS screwdrivers (NOT Phillips), you can look into the hydraulic fluid reservoirs on the handlebars. Check the rear brake reservoir in any case. These fluids should be clean and clear. You can check these fluid levels without any dis-assembly.
An Owners Manual would be nice; you can download one from Yamaha. Any repair manuals in the deal will be a fine bonus.
If the bike looks good so far, I'd take the owner out for a meal. A friendly Previous Owner can still be a good asset to you, far beyond the selling price.
Post any concerns here, maybe we can help.
Thanks a ton for this helpful list! The owner and I are going to sit down over some coffee and talk about the bike. Where is the CCT located? I've looked up some videos on where to find it to inspect it but in each video, the owner has taken off the fairings.

The bike is on Pilot Road 4 tires at the moment, I'll check the age when we meet.

I probably won't purchase on the first meeting, rather sit on it and ask all you good people some questions if I have any. I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Run the serial number with a Yamaha Dealer to see if recalls have been done. If not get them done. I owned an 08, sold it last year with 72,000 miles on it. Still ran great!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Run the serial number with a Yamaha Dealer to see if recalls have been done. If not get them done. I owned an 08, sold it last year with 72,000 miles on it. Still ran great!
Excellent input. Looks like all but one recall has been completed, attached is the image. How serious is skipping the recall for the Wire Harness Assembly?

Moose, can I ask how much you sold your bike for? Any input on the price of the bike I'm looking at?
Water Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

·
Registered
2013 A model.
279 Posts
Harness is a BIG deal.Search ground Spider bite.S4 AND S6 are must do.The others dont take as much load BUT I would include them as well at some point.
Check the charging system at the battery for 14 volts when running.
Shock linkage ? did not see it on the list(important).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Harness is a BIG deal.Search ground Spider bite.S4 AND S6 are must do.The others dont take as much load BUT I would include them as well at some point.
Check the charging system at the battery for 14 volts when running.
Shock linkage ? did not see it on the list(important).
I'll add it to the list of things to check. I completely forgot to add the image to the previous reply, it's attached now. Sadly no shock linkage.

Regarding "Search ground Spider bite.S4 AND S6 are must do", where would I look for that and what am I looking for? Am I looking for cracking on soldering points?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Copy and paste, Read the whole thing its pretty cut and dry lots of pictures.Requires disassembly of fairing on bike NOT a easy thing to see without removing fairing.
Excellent resource! Thank you. Since checking S4 requires the removal of some fairings/the tank, I should just look for the warning signs that were listed in the thread that you linked me? (Those warning signs I am including below)

no engine start. No click, nothing;
  • high beam headlight indicator on as mentioned, regardless of switch position;
  • both turn signal indicators on as mentioned with no turn signals;
  • fuel gauge reading completely full with about 3/4 tank in it and blinking once per second for 8 seconds, then pause for 1.5 seconds then repeat without end;
  • clock did NOT reset;
  • trip odometers did NOT reset;
  • no windshield motion;
  • no horn;
  • no glovebox solenoid.

Also, I have never had to go through a process of a recall with one of my bikes before. Is the recall still an option? Am I able to have the faulty wiring harness replaced?

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,210 Posts
1 - 20 of 106 Posts