FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
That seems to be a pretty candid write up. Looks like after an adjustment period you can learn to get along with AE.

What do yo think about his prediction of all touring rigs becoming full automatics? I think that's a bit premature. We have at least one "manuals forever" psycho here I know of! :lol:

·
Registered
426 Posts
I haven't seen him on a luxo touring bike yet, though. In a few years when his arthritis starts flaring from squeezing Duc clutches, he'll be standing in line for auto model. I've seen a couple gray hairs on him already! :wink:

·
Registered
949 Posts
If there is any sort of comparision to be gained from the difference between auto and manual cars I find driving my wifes auto far less tiring mainly in city driving but less noticable on the highway than being continuously aware of engine revs for manual changes on my 4WD. I can understand the attraction of a fully auto bike in settings where there is a lot of gear changes but if a bike is focussed on sport / touring, the highway is likely to be the majority of usage - isn't it ?

Then there are the opposing issues of engine braking and the value of a transmission that is in the optimum gear at all times. Maybe the next phase of widely available auto transmission is one that could be "taught" to respond to individual rider behaviour with change points based on the speed of throttle opening. Fuel cell bikes with electric motors and optimised transmissions are not that far away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts