FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

how many turns CCW from CW seated was #3 sync screw ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 100.0%

• reply for a different CCW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 AE. I know how to do the sync but I had made a mistake by messing around with ALL the brass sync screws too much due to the poor idle , when in fact it was an electrical issue. And I don't have the original settings written down. Messing with all including #3, which you are not supposed to touch #3 per-manual. This goes out to all out there before Drive by wire versions at least thru 2012, maybe further. I know all bikes are somewhat different with their manufacturing settings. My question: has anyone ever checked what #3 setting was before you began, how many turns CCW from CW seated ? I am asking for honesty without judgement. I set the poll in .25 increments . Lastly don't ask me how I screwed up. Thank you

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,279 Posts
Doesn't matter on Gen1/2 which screw you use as reference.... Set them all to 3/4-7/8 turn out to start with, pick #3 as reference if you like, sync all others to it. If you have one screw getting to be more than 1 turn out, that can be a bit loose IMHO..... reset it and use that one as the reference instead.
Gen3/4 different procedure..... reference screw is painted and is turned in all the way, others adjusted to it. IF you can't achieve perfect sync (another screw will be at zero), adjust reference screw out to get sync...... the other screw at zero now becomes the reference, mark it or paint it.
Sync should only change with changes in valve clearances in future.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main issue now is still uneven rough idle with clean injectors. Presently all sync'd set between 1.3 and 1 CCW but that means little if they are set too lean or rich. The reason for my question. Your info suggests it would seem it's idling lean . If what you are saying is true gospel , then turn in CW approx. 1/2 turn on #3 and line the others up. #1 had a marking on it which means the factory set up was complete, and it's right at the screw and I made that mark permanent. Just how many turns CCW was my question. Fyi- whatever #3 is set at #1 matches. What you say is helpful...more than 1 CCW is too much. Thank you. FYI- you can physically do 4 turns out. But we all know that's wrong. If anyone has checked #3 please post.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The intake vacuum spec in the manual says 33.3kPa (9.8 inHg) (250 mmHg). Number of turns in or out means nothing, you're trying to get the vacuum pressure between cylinders to within 1.33kPa (0.39 inHg or 10mmHg) of each other. Since you're worried about turns in and out I'm assuming you're not using a carb sync tool? You need one if you don't, because you're not going to sync them by counting turns.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The intake vacuum spec in the manual says 33.3kPa (9.8 inHg) (250 mmHg). Number of turns in or out means nothing, you're trying to get the vacuum pressure between cylinders to within 1.33kPa (0.39 inHg or 10mmHg) of each other. Since you're worried about turns in and out I'm assuming you're not using a carb sync tool? You need one if you don't, because you're not going to sync them by counting turns.

that "250mm" is safe minimum...not a standard. A good tight engine will see 260mm or more when warm. Mine has been 260+ after warm up. I will make the needed adjustments this weekend. Thanks again

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that "250mm" is safe minimum...not a standard. A good tight engine will see 260mm or more when warm. Mine has been 260+ after warm up. I will make the needed adjustments this weekend. Thanks again
Forgot to mention, yes, I have a Morgan carbtune amongst a few other types, and the turns out CCW if too much does lean the mixture at idle and more. Try 2 turns out an see how poor it runs compared to 1 turn out. I simply lost my starting point due to an emergency at home and then forgot where i was....so to speak. Cheers🍺

1 - 6 of 6 Posts