FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my rear PR4 gt after 3k miles…. Anyone know from experience of this has at least a couple K left in it? This trip I’m taking is gonna be roughly 2300 miles. In a pinch i could stop in a shop and pay a premium to get a new rear mid trip, but I’d hate to do that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Avoid burnouts, you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Find a road with a lot of corners? :D

Looks fine from here. What is the tread depth now compared to new?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Find a road with a lot of corners? :D

Looks fine from here. What is the tread depth now compared to new?
Ohh yeah the entire trip is in the mountains.. like the whole length of the blue ridge parkway🤘🏼. Haven’t checked depth yet

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
It totally depends on how you ride. PR4s and Road5s last me about 2500 miles. Same tires go over 10,000 for many.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It totally depends on how you ride. PR4s and Road5s last me about 2500 miles. Same tires go over 10,000 for many.
I ride pretty aggressive. You must ride like your arse is on fire😆

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
I ride pretty aggressive. You must ride like your arse is on fire😆
I do ride a brisk pace, but I think it also tells about all the Ozark chip seal pavement I'm on that chews tires quickly. I get the same fast tire wear in the Smokies and California chip seal too though.

My track tires get between 200 and 400 miles before they're cooked. :)

Back to your original question... I think they look like they'd make it considering how they look now. We just always notice the second 'half' of the tire life goes a lot quicker than the first.

I hope it's a great trip!

Reactions: AtlRiderrr

·
Registered
430 Posts
Not a big fan of the PR4GT but I've burned up 2 rears: 6,000 and 7,500 miles. I only got 7,000 miles out of the one front I've run.

I weigh about 230lbs plus riding gear (ATGATT) and ride fairly aggressively. Keep your tire pressures at 42psi front and rear and avoid Sport mode and I think you'll be fine.

Haynes

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not a big fan of the PR4GT but I've burned up 2 rears: 6,000 and 7,500 miles. I only got 7,000 miles out of the one front I've run.

I weigh about 230lbs plus riding gear (ATGATT) and ride fairly aggressively. Keep your tire pressures at 42psi front and rear and avoid Sport mode and I think you'll be fine.

Haynes
If i can’t be in Sport mode, I don’t want to live…

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
693 Posts
If i can’t be in Sport mode, I don’t want to live…
You all with your fancy-schmancy "Modes..." 🤣

I got one "Mode," and I llike it!!

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,706 Posts
Sport mode is the only mode, lol. Keep your regular pressures, even up to 44 you'll be fine.
When the steel cords start to show you got another 150 miles, 200 if you wrap it with two wraps of duct tape, lol.

Reactions: zwartie

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sport mode is the only mode, lol. Keep your regular pressures, even up to 44 you'll be fine.
When the steel cords start to show you got another 150 miles, 200 if you wrap it with two wraps of duct tape, lol.
Lol i can’t tell you the amount of times I’ve taken wheels in with cords showing on the rear. I usually hear jokes like “ you think you got your money’s worth?!”😆. I draw the line at duct tape lol

·
Registered
430 Posts
Rear tire from my Super Tenere. Was still holding 44psi. No smoky burnout was involved, just "normal" wear and tear. Definitely got my money's worth.

Haynes

20190416_194628.jpg

Reactions: AtlRiderrr

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rear tire from my Super Tenere. Was still holding 44psi. No smoky burnout was involved, just "normal" wear and tear. Definitely got my money's worth.

Haynes

View attachment 80176
Don’t go muddin with that one! Lol. The Tenere…that’s a bike i could see myself owning at some point. How does it rail on the tarmac?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Don’t go muddin with that one! Lol. The Tenere…that’s a bike i could see myself owning at some point. How does it rail on the tarmac?
The Super Tenere handles very well on asphalt even with 50/50 tires like the Heidenau K60 I generally run. Not overly powerful but also less likely to get you into trouble. I have said this before: I am quicker on the Super Tenere but faster on the FJR. The Super Tenere has been my favourite motorcycle - ever. (Sorry for the blasphemy on a FJR Forum!)

Haynes

PS: The Super Tenere also has a Sport mode. 🤪

Reactions: Donk and AtlRiderrr

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Me personally would replace that tire before the trip. Last thing I want to ruin my trip is a poorly performing tire or a tire I got to worry about blowing on my last couple of hundred miles.

I don't cheap out on tires or brakes. I've never run a tire much past the wear bars, forget about cord showing. That's just stupid. But hey that's just my opinion. Your bike, your choice.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I actually rode 130 miles on one after the steel started showing. It had worn through the steel and starting to bulge in one spot when I got home. I had thought I'd get as close as I could then call Motow to take me the rest of the way, but I made it.

I'd gone to one of Liquidsliver's rides in Arkansas and had 4000 miles on the tires when I got there and they had 4/32" above the wear bars. I figured half the tire had made 4000 miles, and I'd do less than 1000 that weekend. No sweat. Right? Arkansas roads and a much more spirited pace chewed it right off. LOL

I've put 12000 on a set touring and 4000 on a set riding around Arkansas. I depends on how and where you're riding it. I'd probably leave on a 2500-mile trip on the one in the OP, though.

Atlriderr, if you use that tire send us a photo of it when you get back.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts