FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Someone will no doubt correct me, but this software deals with pictures differently from last time. Previously they were downloaded into the message database at Jooshead Central, but this time you need to find a picture hosting service of your own (Flikr, Photobucket or a personal web page). Once the image is out there in cyberspace you simply put the images URL in your post between the Img tags, and it gets wafted straight to the viewers computer rather than using up Jooses hard disk space. Makes it easy to show any image on any other publically accessible website, and I think this way of doing it means that they can be any size.

Unfortunately our company software won't allow access to the photo websites or personal web pages so only a few of the posted pictures show up on my work CAD station :evil:

·
Registered
88 Posts
How Big was IT

Just out of interest, on the old server, how much disk space did all the pictures take up ?

Leigh

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Your guess is as good as mine :?
Suspect there were bandwidth issues as well

·
Registered
77 Posts
FJROwners 02 & 04 take up about 800Mb

As Marshman says space is never the issue. It could have been Gigabytes worth.

The problem is you pay for what you send to the web from the server (through the nose) sending the picture to your PC so you can see it!

Also other people were uploading here and then linking to other sites and we were paying for that too....

Simply put, we want this site to be as free to use as possible for everyone. That means we (Bike Johnny.com mainly & the sponsors pay for it) so you don't have to.

So for that to be an ongoing situation for the long term we have had to cap our spending on this site. To do that we have to limit bandwidth.

To do that we either throttle the site = making it slow for everyone (not viable) or spread the image bandwidth out across hundreds of users each not using even a fraction of their bandwidth, rather than having it all from here.

Bored with this explaination = don't ask sensible questions!

Joos

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oh well :(
Couldn't get a photo to post on "FJR Forum", so no reason to suppose I'll get one posted here :lol:
Think I'll need Highlander to sit next to me :?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Warchild said:
HIGHLANDER said:
So what's the skinny on pic sizes and res restrictions?
As you can see when you click on the following farkle post, you can now display phots of considerable size and detail: Linky-link
EXCELLENT>> was nearly going blind before! :lol:

ROGDEB>>> come on over !!! :p

·
Registered
62 Posts
Seattleuk said:
This is jist a test to see if I can post a photo

It seems to work for me. :)
I don't see a picture, either. When I "quote" the message, I get a website. When I go to that website, I get a "does not exist" message. Who did what wrong?

·
Registered
163 Posts
In simple, lay mans terms how do you post pics?

Tried re sizing pics to upload into album but keeps saying they are too big, what am I doing wrong?

:cry: :cry:
Teejay
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep it smooth, Keep it quick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts