FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a hunch i may hang out here a bit and learn a lot over the next weeks and months. i will be picking up the new '06 tomorrow about 250 miles from home and my first ride ever on an fjr will be home from the dealer. what a marketing plan!

so the progression of "keepers" over the last few decades went something like this: 73 CB350, 79 CB750, 83 Magna 750, 84 GL1200I, 99 Valkyrie Tourer - tweaked, 84 GL1200 standard (cut down to mini-valk status and currently for sale on cycle trader!), and now the FJR. what a trip, eh? got tired of riding on my tailbone. wife rides her own so the pillon will carry my dog, if anything...

wish me luck. can't wait to be able to carry a bit of stuff and still have awesome handling and zip. not a bad place to start with one's first yamaha, eh? at least i figured out many years ago that two cylinder engines were for tractors. here's hoping i can get used to a completely different riding position. i rode an R1 and loved the performance, but couldn't deal with the weight on me arms...

cya out there,

shu

·
Registered
11 Posts
FJR galaxy blue

After haveing test-ridden BMWs, Honda stx, V-rod, I ended up with a brand new FJR !! Just a week ago. Got 1300 km. logged so far, so I am just getting used to her, after had several cruiser/customs before....
It is my first blue mc, have get used to this obscene colour !!! hehehe

So far just tested 165 km/t on her, will try to reach the limit sooner or later. Not bad for a 56 yrs. old boy !!!
Will be lurking around this forum....

Tor

·
Registered
124 Posts
Greetings Guys, and welcome.

Tor - I thought everyone in Norway had to drive at about 30 kph, else they got a severe kicking from the speed police? :twisted:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
220 miles on the ODO - first impression.

brought the new "vroom" (vanity plate) home from the dealer over the mountain pass yesterday afternoon. i'm still smiling, and that's after 180 of the 220 miles being in the rain.

first impression - damn, this thing is tall and top heavy in the parking lot, followed quickly by crikey! i didn't know it had a TURBO! i used to think my valkyrie was "quick". torquey, yes, but i have a new definition of quick now. what an AWESOME ride! and of course the reason i bought this thing, sight unseen and never test-ridden, was the fervent hope that the riding position would save my motorcycling career as my lower back continues to degenerate. well, my tailbone is a bit sore, but my back feels great! not just OK. but great!

i had the dealer set the handlebars all the way back. installed some monster polished heavy bar ends on her, and took off. i found the range of seating positions perfect. i basically switch between crowding the tank and sitting up a bit straighter and hugging the tank with my knees which seems to take pressure off my lower back, and then i will scoot back just a wee bit and drop my elbows down and in and kinda hang on my hands for a bit. seems that just those two variants and the subtle gradations in between allow all the change my body needs. i haven't ridden over 200 miles non-stop in years and years. what an incredible machine.

can't wait for the weather to dry up and the tires to get scrubbed up a bit more so i can push MY edges a bit in cornering. i don't think my skills will ever push this machine to its limits.

so i know none of you have ever done this, but when i got about 2 miles from my house and turned onto a wide open, no cross-street, no deer-hiding woods kinda road, i decided to check out the power band between 4 and 8k on the tach. holy mama mia! the only other thing that makes me smile and tremble at the same time like that is my lovely young wife... and she's a rider too.

GLAD to be among the blessed. we some lucky bastids, eh?

shu

·
Registered
6 Posts
:D Just picked up mine on wednesday....wow! Handles great, even at low speeds. Just ordered new Corbin seat for it...my butt, which does have some padding, didn't really care for the stock seat. Looking for Highway pegs for it next, so if anyone knows where they're hiding, please let me know.

Word for the week would be....blurr!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: FJR galaxy blue

Hey Tor,
Since you rode the ST as well as the FJR, how would you rate the buzz factor and seat height?

Thomas

norflyer said:
After haveing test-ridden BMWs, Honda stx, V-rod, I ended up with a brand new FJR !! Just a week ago. Got 1300 km. logged so far, so I am just getting used to her, after had several cruiser/customs before....

So far just tested 165 km/t on her, will try to reach the limit sooner or later. Not bad for a 56 yrs. old boy !!!

Tor

·
Registered
3 Posts
about the seat, I'm ordering an FJR but didn't like the wise boddied seat. As that the reason you changed?

Thomas

gski02 said:
:D Just picked up mine on wednesday....wow! Handles great, even at low speeds. Just ordered new Corbin seat for it...my butt, which does have some padding, didn't really care for the stock seat. Looking for Highway pegs for it next, so if anyone knows where they're hiding, please let me know.

Word for the week would be....blurr!

·
Registered
6 Posts
actually two reasons, partially comfort, actually seemed a little too hard at times, but that's me. the 2nd reason was so I could have options for adding a backrest. almost no options for a backrest with the standard seat.

g

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: FJR galaxy blue

Thomas,
the STX got abt. the same height as the FJR. The seat (IMO) is abit better/comfy. The buzz rate....well to be honest it is diff. to compare.
Maybe the the backbuffing of airflow is stronger on the FJR, when the raised to teh top. BUT the FJR is the MANbike of those two....

Tor
thomas52 said:
Hey Tor,
Since you rode the ST as well as the FJR, how would you rate the buzz factor and seat height?

Thomas

norflyer said:

Tor

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just picked up my new 06 1300A last Thursday. What an amazing bike! I can't stop smiling when I'm riding. I realized I wanted a sport-tourer after 10 days in Switzerland where I rented a 06 BMW 1200ST. I had a blast in the Alps with that bike. I had been looking at the FJR's for some time but never made the move. After the BMW, I knew this was the style bike for me - I was a cruiser guy.
I logged 675 miles this past weekend traveling to Skyline Drive in Virginia. It handled the drive like it was on rails. And the power! Wow! I went from a Honda VTX 1800 to this and there is no comparison. What an amazing machine!

Thanks for all the excellent posts on here. The technical information is excellent!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts