FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Phone or GPS - Ultimate Mounting Solution - Really! - No BS
Here is what I consider to be the ultimate Ram Mount solution for a Phone, a GPS, or any other similar accessory.
It can be installed in ten minutes.
It can easily be removed and your FJR can be returned to pristine stock condition without issue in the same 10 minutes.

€72.00 at migsel.com Migsel GPS mount - FJR1300 ( Product Code GPS-R-FJR1300 )
It Includes anodized aluminum mounting plate, mounting bolts, and 1" RAM ball (yes the ball is included)
It is strong enough for mobile phones, mp3 players, radar detectors, cameras,etc,
It puts your device dead center below your guages.
It is held in place by two long bolts that replace the original tank mount bolts.
It remains in the center even when you move your handlebars.
It will not interfere with tank bags.
It leaves no trace when removed.
It takes less than 5 minutes to install.
It can be paid for via PayPal.
It does cost whatever €72.00 ends up being based on the current exchange rate but it is well worth it.
It arrives in about a week.
It is beautifully crafted.
Wood Triangle Metal Font Fashion accessory

$ 9.49 at AMAZON RAM Mount Composite Short Double Socket Arm for 1-Inch Ball Bases
It Includes 2 each 1" Ball sockets with nearly full range motion at both ends.
It uses just one large wingnut-style knob for tightening once you get it positioned just the way you want it.
It is perfect for this application.

Font Auto part Personal protective equipment Glove Fashion accessory

$29.99 at AMAZON TACKFORM Motorcycle Phone Mount
It Includes 1" Ball Connection and Heavy Duty Spring Loaded Holder.
It is compatible with RAM and ARKON 1 Inch Ball System.
It does not require a tether, but they include one anyway.
It has a seriously strong spring action that holds your device in place even when riding over speed bumps or through potholes.
It does not block your power and or volume buttons like various other mounts.
It looks much better than the X-Grip.
It does not require a special case like the Quad Lock.
It works with nearly any case and even works without a case.
It just plain rocks!

Camera accessory Material property Font Fixture Cameras & optics

Final Product - Enjoy the Ride!
This migsel, RAM, tackform mounting solution works perfectly.
It holds a phone, a GPS, or any other similar accessory securely even over bumps.
It stays centered even when you turn your handlebars.
It does not block your view of any gauges.
It takes 10 minutes to install.
It is fully adjustable.
It looks great.
Seriously, what more could you want?

Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,030 Posts
Different strokes for different folks, to each his own, etc. I wouldn't use such a cheap looking squeeze-type holder. Some of the dirt roads I ride will throw a phone out of it pronto. I have the proprietary Garmin holder for my gps and a Ram Quik Grip XL for my phone. Plus it works only if mounted there. I like to have multiple mounting options based mostly on if the sun is behind me or not.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Different strokes for different folks, to each his own, etc. I wouldn't use such a cheap looking squeeze-type holder. Some of the dirt roads I ride will throw a phone out of it pronto. I have the proprietary Garmin holder for my GPS and a Ram Quik Grip XL for my phone. Plus it works only if mounted there. I like to have multiple mounting options based mostly on if the sun is behind me or not.
The spring on this thing is really strong and unless you are riding your FJR like it's an adventure bike, the clamping action will hold just fine. It also comes with a rubber tether that looks kind of like a butterfly and that can add extra protection, but I have found it to be completely unnecessary.

Still, I suppose you could swap just the gripper with a Quick Grip (ugly in my opinion) or Quad Lock (requires a special cover) but nothing looks or works as elegant as the tackform.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree with rbentnail. To each their own, but I've tried several mounts and the Ram Quik Grip is the mack daddy. I don't care about ugly, I care about keeping my phone secure. I can remove my phone from it at a stoplight for whatever reason, put it back in with one hand, and know at a glance that it's in there securely.

But, everyone's got their own preference. That's why there are so many farkle options.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
You forgot the Ram ball itself. Brings it to about a $120 setup. Not for people who can live with less elegance for $100 less. And it gets removed every time you lift the tank for maintenance. Yeah it's nice but the minuses outweigh the plusses for me.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,810 Posts
My phone is in my jacket pocket...... no investment required. I want it with me if I accidentally separate from the bike.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Yep.

·
Super Moderator
4,006 Posts
My experiences are:

Phone: Okay if you only ride the interstates and well-populated secondary and tertiary roads and towns. Weather proofing can be an issue.

GPS: Dedicated and no terrestrial connectivity needed to cell towers. CAN be shock and weather proofed. Good anywhere you have an open sky. Keeping the phone with you and in standby until needed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Seriously, what more could you want?
A set of measurements to fab up the part on my CNC - it's interesting enough but I'm too lazy to measure it up. I think I have some 1/2" flat bar kicking around. Even with getting it anodized it will cost far less than $140.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You forgot the Ram ball itself. Brings it to about a $120 setup. Not for people who can live with less elegance for $100 less. And it gets removed every time you lift the tank for maintenance. Yeah it's nice but the minuses outweigh the plusses for me.
RAM Ball is included with both migsel & tackform. It is not in the picture for the migsel but as I wrote in the description...
"It Includes anodized aluminum mounting plate, mounting bolts, and 1" RAM ball (yes the ball is included)"
Sorry for the picture. I used the one from the vendor. But the ball is included.

Also, you need to remove the exact same number of screws to lift the tank for maintenance. So there is zero added work. And the larger screws are harder to lose when you need to put them back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A set of measurements to fab up the part on my CNC - it's interesting enough but I'm too lazy to measure it up. I think I have some 1/2" flat bar kicking around. Even with getting it anodized it will cost far less than $140.
I have a friend who is an Industrial Engineer and fabricates all kinds of stuff. We are looking at the possibility of making something similar to the migsel but with an elongated oval or rectangle rather than a triangle top piece to which the RAM ball will be threaded. The Triangle moves the ball forward but this is not required since the Socket Arm can swivel forward if you want.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My phone is in my jacket pocket...... no investment required. I want it with me if I accidentally separate from the bike.
I use my phone as my GPS and also to control my Cardo PACKTALK (coms, music, etc...). So mounting the phone provides/consolidates multiple solutions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My experiences are:

Phone: Okay if you only ride the interstates and well-populated secondary and tertiary roads and towns. Weather proofing can be an issue.

GPS: Dedicated and no terrestrial connectivity needed to cell towers. CAN be shock and weather proofed. Good anywhere you have an open sky. Keeping the phone with you and in standby until needed.
Weatherproofing a phone is easy. There are waterproof tuff cases that allow touch screen use for nearly every popular phone.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,030 Posts
The spring on this thing is really strong and unless you are riding your FJR like it's an adventure bike, the clamping action will hold just fine.
Western NC National forests have lots of dirt roads. My FJRs have been on many of them so yes, I do sometimes ride my FJR like it's an adventure bike- standing on the pegs, knees flexing, lower gear, higher revs. Amazing the sights you see when off the pavement you go!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very nice. You should start a separate post for people who take their FJR's off-pavement and post pics. And of course, ask others to post pics as well.
What tires do you run?
Is it an easy cleanup or lots of work to get around all the plastic?

·
Registered
2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
9 Posts
I have taken the FJR on many dirt roads, including a very rugged one to Zeballos, British Columbia this past summer. A very rough road, but spectacular scenery!! As you can see in the photo, the dust gets everywhere. Well worth the cleanup effort though! If you look on the left bar, I use the Ram XGrip phone mount, and even on these roads, the phone does not move. Most newer phones are completely waterproof now, as well. I'm using a Samsung S10, and have had no issues, and I leave it in the mount in the rain.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Sky Plant Mountain Road surface Asphalt
Sky Wheel Tire Water Vehicle

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sweeet Pics !!!
Looks like you were still riding the OEM Bridgestones. How was traction?

·
Registered
2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES
9 Posts
Sweeet Pics !!!
Looks like you were still riding the OEM Bridgestones. How was traction?
Actually, those tires are Michelin Road 4GTs. I highly recommend them, they are excellent. I had no issues at all. They are definitely not an adventure tire, but I'm not focused on that type of riding. It won't make me shy away from an opportunity like that!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts