FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a 1300 mile trip in the near future and aside from my luggage guards not being here yet, the bike seems nearly perfect. I'm going to swap on the big Vstream that came with the bike as well as the car tire rear. Only remaining thought is a peg drop. I'm 6ft and the peg position was a little cramped on my longest ride of 2 hrs since I bought the bike last month. Looks like Murphs is an option, as are some of the more generic setups on ebay. Wondering if anyone has used the Buell pegs on an FJR or if they don't fit due to the rear brake lever position.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Planning a 1300 mile trip in the near future and aside from my luggage guards not being here yet, the bike seems nearly perfect. I'm going to swap on the big Vstream that came with the bike as well as the car tire rear. Only remaining thought is a peg drop. I'm 6ft and the peg position was a little cramped on my longest ride of 2 hrs since I bought the bike last month. Looks like Murphs is an option, as are some of the more generic setups on ebay. Wondering if anyone has used the Buell pegs on an FJR or if they don't fit due to the rear brake lever position.
Sorry, I have Murph's but I can tell you they are wonderful.

Haynes

Reactions: Bill Lumberg

·
Registered
304 Posts
Good topic, Chuck.

At 5'11", and with my longest ride being just under 1k miles over 2 days, I find the leg room adequate, but just barely. The handlebars, to me at least, were a bit of a stretch, but I've just addressed that with a set of MV Motorrad extenders.

As far as footpads, a couple of things I've learned when putting lowering pegs on my Gen2 FZ1:

ALL of the lowering peg systems I've seen will shift your feet slightly outboard. Depending on your regular foot position and riding style, this could make shifting and braking less comfortable.

The cheaper pegs I've seen seem to move your feet the furthest outboard - here are a couple of eBay examples:

Note that any lowering peg will by necessity not allow your foot to rest right on top of the attachment point on the bike (look at your stock pegs and you will see that as the pegs go straight out from the attachment point, you can rest your foot slightly inboard of the rubber peg top - and apparently that was how I like to ride, as I discovered when changing my FZ1 pegs.

The pegs I linked above not only push you out past the attachment point, but they also move you another half 1/3 inch or so for the thickness of the lowering bar piece.

see this pic:

Reactions: Oldjeep

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is one of the reasons I like the Buell pegs on my fz1. They don't put your feet out any further. But due to the way the fjr brake arm is setup it doesn't look like they will work. Although I may pull one off just to be sure.

·
Registered
304 Posts
What I put on my FZ1, which will also fit my FJR, and doesn't have the extra piece to push your feet outboard further, is the Knights Engineering pegs.

You can see no extra spacers to push your foot outboard (past the mounting point - but you still can't rest your foot directly over the mounting point like you can with factory pegs).

Downside is they are expensive at $150. I gambled an bought a like new set on eBay for $99, that were marked as coming off of a Yamaha FZ6 IIRC - they fit my bike perfectly, and holding next to my FJR it is apparent they would fit on it also - I think Knight likes to market them as different parts as a means of discouraging sales on the second hand market (if people don't think it will fit their bike, they will not buy them).

I had never heard of the Murphs lowering hardware until this thread, just looked them up:

I like the design! Very clean. And they don't appear to push the riders feet out as far as the cheap eBay pegs, with another bonus being that they allow retaining the rubber topped factory pegs, which definitely help reduce/eliminate vibration.

Would probably be my first choice for an FJR.

EDIT:
Just looked at the weird brake setup on my FJR. I don't think my Knight's Engineering pegs will work. Funny because several months ago their website used to list pegs for the FJR, and they no longer do - I wonder if customers contacted them about not clearing the rear brake lever.

So now I REALLY think the Murphs looks like the best option.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those pegs on your fz1 are expensive copies of Buell lightning pegs ;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think I had read about the Buell pegs being used on an FZ1 forum search, but didn't see any available on eBay.

Have been happy with the Knights Engineering, although I still had to twist my foot in a bit when shifting and braking, I addressed this by putting a cover/extension on the brake and shift pads. I'll go get some pics.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I bought them for $50 at the local Harley dealer.
Could you post up some pics on your bike? Really curious what they look like.

I think the forum posts I read said they require some grinding/customization to fit an FZ1?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scroll up. I added a picture. As I recall I drilled the bike brackets out to 3/8 and then added some brass bushings to the pegs.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Pegs on my FZ1 - with my solution to extend shifter and brake lever

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Scroll up. I added a picture. As I recall I drilled the bike brackets out to 3/8 and then added some brass bushings to the pegs.
Ahhh.

Those look great!

If I had paid full bill for my KE pegs, I would def be kicking myself in the a$$. But for $99 shipped I'm good with it.

Did you have any issues adjusting to your feet being slightly outboard in relation to the brake and shifter? I figure not everybody does, it's probably dependent on each persons riding style.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahhh.

Those look great!

If I had paid full bill for my KE pegs, I would def be kicking myself in the a$$. But for $99 shipped I'm good with it.

Did you have any issues adjusting to your feet being slightly outboard in relation to the brake and shifter? I figure not everybody does, it's probably dependent on each persons riding style.
I ride in forma adventure boots, the tread and toe box is so wide I never noticed. If you were wearing skinny track boots you might need to get pigeon toed on the controls.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I installed a set of Gold Wing pegs. A little lower, retain rubber (read vibration absorbing) pads and are both wider and deeper. Distributes the weight of your foot over a larger area.

Larger Foot Pegs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts