FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well thus far the reviews seem to be quite good. I has been nice to hear that so far it sounds like they have fixed the heat issue. I am still debating on getting an 06...might just get an 04 or 05. But has anybody had a passenger on the 06 yet? Supposively they have made it more comfy...just curious if anyone could compare the difference?

Thanks and good riding...

Drew

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm taking my GF out for a ride this Sunday (she has too much to do for school before then); I'll let you know then. I tour 15k - 20k a year, and she usually comes with me for a 2-week, ~5000 mile trip each year, so passenger comfort is important to her. For what it's worth, she has sat on the back end and remarked that the riding position was very similar to my Triumph Thunderbird (a naked cruiser bike).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea... I was surprised when my fiance' liked riding. It also brings up a whole new dillema in picking out a bike. I dont want a motorcycle thats like a car (wing). I have a little cruiser now that is very uncomfortable...but sly like I am I haven't upgraded the seat...so no matter what bike I get next she will think the seat is heavenly compared to the current one. :lol: The fjr is the bike. All i do is read about it and dream about it every day...I just havent pulled the trigger. I have August (next bonus i get $$) as the date for purchase. I love this forum and everyone here is a great resource!

·
Registered
26 Posts
drew-b

Pull the trigger, wait, and then Enjoy. I had my FJR for only a week...man; pull the trigger! Comming off of a V-Star which I liked to ride to this machine where I prefer to ride to work daily......even in Miami traffic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tony said:
Please tell me she's a teacher!!! :shock: :crylarf:
Hehehe, no she's in graduate school.

Well, plans for going out for a ride were shot down by family; her sister to be exact. Sis called Sat. night to say she'd be visiting for ~4 days, showing up Sunday afternoon. So the GF cleaned the house and then hung out with sis. grrrrr. I was crabby until I said 'screw it' and jumped on the bike, went out for a twisty 200 mile ride, came home grinnin'. I can even handle that sis is here now. Still wish we'd gone riding, but oh well, there's always next weekend!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Drew

Just a thought that might save some money, I have the footrest hangers from Bikerjohnny that drop the rear footrests down, and also dropped on a second hand Corbin seat that sits the passenger higher.

The result is loads more leg room and more than on the 06, this is on an 05 model.

My wife broke her knee many years ago and so has cannot bend it any more than 90degrees and took her out today on it for the first time and she can get on, so that should give you a good indication how much more leg room that gives (she is 5'4'')

Tim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Sounds about right. My fiance' is 5'7''. I like the idea of her sitting higher so she can see over my helmet. She can see all around now when she rides on the Vstar...and i think thats a benefit instead of staring right in the back of someones helmet and only being able to see from side to side. What is the experience you guys have when riding two up...can she see over your helmet?? Those peg extenders and the Corbin seem like the way to go. I didnt realize that the Corbin raised you up a bit.

I think the 06 is out of the equation now...especially with insurance....mine is basically nothing right now and I called Progressive to get a quote on an 05 and they said eh hemmmm....$1400/year. Sooooo I have some more saving to do. :) I did talk the fiance' into a cross country or west coast ride for the honeymoon though. So im saving up my vacation days and planning the trip daily...and for now...pretend.

Thanks for all of your replies!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Thanks

drew-b said:
I like the idea of her sitting higher so she can see over my helmet. She can see all around now when she rides on the Vstar...and i think thats a benefit instead of staring right in the back of someones helmet and only being able to see from side to side. What is the experience you guys have when riding two up...can she see over your helmet??
I was looking at a Triumph Sprint ST (you might also consider this bike, as it's ~$3000 cheaper), which is definitely sportier. My local dealer/ mechanic said his wife prefers the Sprint as the passenger seat is much higher, so she can see everything. When I discussed it with my GF, she actually said she prefers *not* to see what's coming. :twisted: She tends to be an anxious person, and if she could see what dangers/obstacles were coming up, she'd be more anxious and might tense up at the wrong moment. As it is, she's always just had the side views on my last bike, and enjoys "watching the pretty scenery go by". She is a very relaxed pillion and a great riding buddy when she's not worrying about the road.

I think the 06 is out of the equation now...especially with insurance....mine is basically nothing right now and I called Progressive to get a quote on an 05 and they said eh hemmmm....$1400/year. Sooooo I have some more saving to do. :) I did talk the fiance' into a cross country or west coast ride for the honeymoon though. So im saving up my vacation days and planning the trip daily...and for now...pretend.

Thanks for all of your replies!!!
Wow, $1400 for insurance???? :x Mine is only costing me ~$600/yr. Granted, no accidents and only 1 ticket in 5 yrs, and I'm 36, but still!!!!

·
Registered
592 Posts

e
drew-b said:
I think the 06 is out of the equation now...especially with insurance....mine is basically nothing right now and I called Progressive to get a quote on an 05 and they said eh hemmmm....$1400/year. Sooooo I have some more saving to do. :)
+1

I was also surprised to find the sticker shock that Progresive quoted me for an 06. $1200 per year on this end. 35, no claims, no tickets. I currently have a Vmax insured full coverage for $149 per year through Progressive. Try and figure out that one. Anyway long story short I found insurance from GMAC/Rider magazine for $450ish a year for the new and "still not delivered" FJR which I will go with once it gets here. :roll:

Progressive is definitely not FJR1300 friendly. I called and talked to them. Their responce was that the FJR was built for speed. I said that it was classified as a sport tourer, they said basiclly don't care. Want to make yourself even more aggrevated? Do an online quote for a ST1300. It will plain piss you off. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
592 Posts

e
drew-b said:
I think the 06 is out of the equation now...especially with insurance....mine is basically nothing right now and I called Progressive to get a quote on an 05 and they said eh hemmmm....$1400/year. Sooooo I have some more saving to do. :)
+1

I was also surprised to find the sticker shock that Progresive quoted me for an 06. $1200 per year on this end. 35, no claims, no tickets. I currently have a Vmax insured full coverage for $149 per year through Progressive. Try and figure out that one. Anyway long story short I found insurance from GMAC/Rider magazine for $450ish a year for the new and "still not delivered" FJR which I will go with once it gets here. :roll:

Progressive is definitely not FJR1300 friendly. I called and talked to them. Their responce was that the FJR was built for speed. I said that it was classified as a sport tourer, they said basiclly don't care. Want to make yourself even more aggrevated? Do an online quote for a ST1300. It will plain piss you off. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
About sitting up high (or down low);

Wifey likes the high view on the back of the Duc... right up until we hit the interstate to drone home. Then she really appreciates the lower pillion position of the FJR.

Assets & liabilities, you know. ;)

(staying off the interstates)

:) - on bikini patrol in FL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.