FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone…

I have been reading this forum for about a year. It is with great pleasure that I announce I now am “in the club”. I just purchased an 05 FJR. I hope that’s okay since it seems this is strictly an 06 forum now. I have put about a thousand miles on her already (purchased 5/27) and finished my first trip yesterday with 13 hours of riding. So now I’ll tell you my own riding test and opinions. Annnd I’ll have some questions on which I’ll call on you to help me with. (not the dealer)

First…I love the bike!! Love it…it is silly fast and smooth as silk. She handles wonderfully…I scraped the pegs a few times at Deals Gap on my journey home. As for this heat issue I have read about over and over. I can tell you that I rode in 95 degree heat most of the trip in a ONE PIECE SUIT (Alpinestars) and it wasn’t a big deal. Now if I had gotten caught in traffic well then I may have died. But I didn’t think the heat was bad at all…maybe you ride in shorts?? Then I could see it. I also had a Cee Baileys sport windshield…which is short and was nice in the heat. Earplugs made it much nicer.

Seating position is pretty good…my legs never got cramped. However, after day one my shoulders and elbows were very sore. Maybe from leaning forward a bit… so here’s question 1- Handlebar risers??? Or should I just get used to it? I’m not sure I’ll like being straight up either. Issue 2- Right wrist and elbow getting fatigued…I think I will def get a cruise control device…different brands?? Now the seat itself…I was okay for about 100 (less as the day progressed) miles then would have to get off for about 10 mins. It pretty much was the only thing from holding me back from riding longer. I’m feeling the sore butt a bit today as well. Do I change the seat or is this expected?? Also my fiancé loves to ride with me…so for a backrest…new seat or trunk?? She can’t see over me which she liked to do on the other bike. I’m thinking the custom day-long seat may be the best option. I like Givi Trunk except for that ugly shelf on the back when you take the trunk off. Maybe get the seat first?? Finally, I live in Va and would really like to put a radar detector in a concealed location (illegal in va) and maybe install one of those LED lights in the helmet I read about a while back…any feedback on these?? I’d rather not have a headphone because I like to ride with earplugs…so an LED light seems perfect.

Okay so any feedback would be great!! I’m finally part of the club and love it!! I saw a few FJR’s at Deals Gap and along the journey. I would wave and give a thumbs up. Tried to talk to a few but wasn’t able to get their attention. Thanks again…reading your posts always kept the dream alive!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome!
I am fairly new myself. I have had my 06 a few weeks and can tell you this:
1. I installed grip puppies and throttle rocker and my wrist pain went away. They still get a little tingly after awhile but no more pain.
2. Put some more miles on her and you should get use to the riding position and the upper body fatigue, I did!
3. I would go for the Sargent seat with backrest for yer wify. Not yet available for the 06 but I am in line waiting.

Enjoy the ride!
Larry

·
Super Moderator
3,945 Posts
drew-b said:
I just purchased an 05 FJR. I hope that's okay since it seems this is strictly an 06 forum now.
Bullox!

Welcome aboard. You newbies with your young bikes are really something. Got an '03 myself and am glad I glommed onto the design before they started detuning it in '04 and beyond.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey, I'm fairly new to the FJR game too, with about 7000kms on my new 05'. It became painfully aparent to me that the stock handle bars were not working for me either, sore wrists, hands falling asleep,etc. for me personally I thought that the stock handle bars were too swept back and I was not holding the bars in what i would call a "natural" position so I opted for a set of aftermarket units from spieglerusa.com which are a riser kit which includes risers and a handlebar similar to a dirtbike style. the advantages to me are that they are not any higher or lower (IMO) but are streighter and wider than stock which put my wrists imn a much mure comfortable position and the added width makes the bike feel like it is turning and leaning lighter due to the added leverage

·
Registered
86 Posts
First off, welcome to the club. Like you, I have an an '05 received in November of '04. I've got about 14,000 miles on it now and I can tell you, this is one of the best bikes I've ever owned. That being said, I have done a few things to it that made it better for me.

1.) I didn't like the stock seat either so, after a little research, I purchased the Sargents. It's been really nice with all-day comfort.

2.) I put the Heli risers on it. I liked the fact that they raised the bars up AND shifted them back. In addition, on the ABS model, there is no rerouting of the brake hoses. They were a snap to install. Did it myself with just a little help from the wife.

3.) I live in Florida and the heat was an issue. I did the Cromeit heat fix and this pretty much cured the problem. It still gets hot, but really not more than several other large high performance motorcycles I can think of.

4.) I put a set of fairing protectors on mine. I forget the brand right now, but they're the ones that come with the high-zoot aluminum brackets and did not require drilling any holes in the fairing. They've already saved me from an expensive repair when the bike fell over on me coming home from Daytona last year.

Other than the above mentioned mods, the bike has been perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts