FJR Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not a whole paper towel, but ......

Getting ready to check the valves, and I pulled the thermostat inlet off the top of the valve cover. The holes below that were nasty, so I was trying to wipe them out using blue, paper shop towels. I managed to poke my finger through one pushing a piece about the size of a nickel into the hole. I tried to grab it with a pair of long needle nose and just pushed it in further.

I'm not sure a piece that big is a big concern, but I do plan to flush it thoroughly now and drain it by pulling the bottom hoses hoping it'll wash it on out.

Any other suggestions? Other than welding the toolbox shut?

thx

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Stick your shop vac on that hole while the rad cap is off and drain screw out, might be enough back airflow to get it sucked out. Otherwise, soak another piece in coolant for fun and see it may turn to mush and break down.
I don't think a small piece like that is a big concern, it isn't going to block anything and if so, not for long.
Next time, put some grease/silicone grease on a screwdriver tip or Q-tip to clean crud out of those holes, the grease will keep dirt from falling in.

Reactions: maximrebel

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stick your shop vac on that hole while the rad cap is off and drain screw out, might be enough back airflow to get it sucked out. Otherwise, soak another piece in coolant for fun and see it may turn to mush and break down.
I don't think a small piece like that is a big concern, it isn't going to block anything and if so, not for long.
Next time, put some grease/silicone grease on a screwdriver tip or Q-tip to clean crud out of those holes, the grease will keep dirt from falling in.
Thank you, sir :)

As soon as I did that I thought "I shoulda known." I've still got some cleaning to do, so I'll try your tip. I don't know why they're so nasty.

I tried a shop vac with a piece of 1/2 tube in it. I'll try your way.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
How about bending a small hook at the end of a length of wire and fishing it out?

·
Registered
52 Posts
If the vac and hook suggestions don't work for you try a cheap plastic drain cleaner for removing hair. It's just flexible plastic with barbs along the business end. Push past and it will grab on removal. Good luck!

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about bending a small hook at the end of a length of wire and fishing it out?
If the vac and hook suggestions don't work for you try a cheap plastic drain cleaner for removing hair. It's just flexible plastic with barbs along the business end. Push past and it will grab on removal. Good luck!

Sent using Tapatalk
I can't see it now; when it dropped in it sort of vanished. But I may try something like that.

I actually wouldn't expect it to be an issue, but I decided to ask. I'm encouraged that Ray doesn't think it's a big deal either :laugh:

I will go ahead and flush it too. That's simple enough.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
Looking at the FSM, the coolant flow (up) from the water pump splits to the oil cooler, with main flow up through the head into the coolant pipe then to the thermostat, and on into the top of the rad, etc. The fibers of the small piece of towel hopefully turn to mush, but not likely to clog anything.

Reactions: Mr_Ed

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at the FSM, the coolant flow (up) from the water pump splits to the oil cooler, with main flow up through the head into the coolant pipe then to the thermostat, and on into the top of the rad, etc. The fibers of the small piece of towel hopefully turn to mush, but not likely to clog anything.
Thank you, Ray. I'll worry no more :)

Since I'm this far anyway I'm going to go ahead and flush it.

·
Premium Member
7,796 Posts
You could try removing the hose at the water pump (that goes to the block/oil cooler), and flush some water down the coolant pipe hole(s). Would seem the most direct path to flush it out.

Reactions: Mr_Ed

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
and the way things are going... pls be careful with those Q-tips after shower Ed ;-D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Based on my recent experience, I think the only place you might have a problem would be at the coolant circuit for the wax motor, which adjusts the cold idle speed. If your idle speed starts behaving erratically (mostly racing) then it's possible the paper towel remnant may have clogged the small diameter metal tube return line at the radiator, inhibiting flow of hot coolant that would activate the wax motor.

See Queensland Ken's postings at https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/63474-cold-fast-idle-problem-fixed.html

In my case, the metal tube return line at the radiator was fully plugged with hard crusty stuff. I used a piece of wire to gouge it out, and found that it extended about 1/4" into the metal tube.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Based on my recent experience, I think the only place you might have a problem would be at the coolant circuit for the wax motor, which adjusts the cold idle speed. If your idle speed starts behaving erratically (mostly racing) then it's possible the paper towel remnant may have clogged the small diameter metal tube return line at the radiator, inhibiting flow of hot coolant that would activate the wax motor. *

See Queensland Ken's postings at https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/63474-cold-fast-idle-problem-fixed.html*

In my case, the metal tube return line at the radiator was fully plugged with hard crusty stuff.* I used a piece of wire to gouge it out, and found that it extended about 1/4" into the metal tube.*
Thanks for the post. I'll bear that in mind if I have future problems. I'm going to rinse thoroughly as Ray suggested and will go ahead and flush as well. Maybe I'll get it out.

As a side note:
The asterisk behind the URL that Daniel posted keeps the link from working. I quoted to get it in text and copied/pasted it into my browser. That's in Windows. You Apple guys are on your own. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts