FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Its doubtful I’ll be wearing the touring stuff a lot, as I’m usually taking day trips as opposed to multi days trips... and for those i zip my two piece leathers together over a wicking base layer. Now THAT would be awkward to have a rain suit over..lol. If it rains when I’m in leathers i just let it happen and try to ride myself dry after. Although if the textile suit ends up being more comfortable and breathable, i could end up switching over.
Leather is hot, wearing a rain suit over top would make it even hotter, and wearing wet leather feels awful. One of problems with both my Transit waterproof leather suit and my Cortech waterproof leather gloves is that while they keep me dry they soak up a lot of water, which makes them heavy and it takes a long time for them to fully dry. In my opinion there's nothing worse than having to put on damp leathers after a day of rain on a multiday trip. These are the reasons why I picked up the KLIM stuff. While I fully believe that leather protects better than textile, compared to leather you can't beat textile as rain wear or for (lack of) weight and breathability.

Have fun shopping. I will gladly spend ALL of your money for you!😁

Haynes

·
Registered
'16 FJR 1300, '98 Shadow VT1100T
41 Posts
What do you guys wear under your riding pants if its NOT jeans? Sorry if it sounds like a silly question. but I have riding pants and still wear Riding Jeans under them... I just thought that was the norm. It wasnt until I read this thread and then re-watched TWO's video about riding pants, it got me thinking... why AM I wearing my riding jeans under my riding pants.. LOL

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
....................... The only way I’d go with waterproofing being built into the suit, is if it’s it’s not a separate layer you have to put in... the waterproofing would have to be just built into the outer layer, and it would have to be well vented for the heat. Otherwise putting in a rain layer on the side of the road is just a harder version than putting a rain suit on.
Check out Alpinestar's dry Star line then. I use them. Waterproof lining is built in, not removable. Only the insulated cool weather lining is removable.

Everybody wants comfort, protection, waterproof, cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Can't have it all in 1 piece of gear. I'd also like a 400 pound bike with 200 HP and gets 70 MPG, that ain't happening either. LOL

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
What do you guys wear under your riding pants if its NOT jeans? Sorry if it sounds like a silly question. but I have riding pants and still wear Riding Jeans under them... I just thought that was the norm. It wasnt until I read this thread and then re-watched TWO's video about riding pants, it got me thinking... why AM I wearing my riding jeans under my riding pants.. LOL
OMG dude, thats self torture :LOL: . You're supposed to wear compression shorts, or if you want full coverage..what they call in bjj "spats". Wicking long pants. Jeans...yow!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Check out Alpinestar's dry Star line then. I use them. Waterproof lining is built in, not removable. Only the insulated cool weather lining is removable.

Everybody wants comfort, protection, waterproof, cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Can't have it all in 1 piece of gear. I'd also like a 400 pound bike with 200 HP and gets 70 MPG, that ain't happening either. LOL
Lol it's that pesky MPG that throws it off. Yeah I'll check them out. I'm leaning towards the Sedici Marco matching set at the moment...bang for your buck is pretty high.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
LD Comfort wear. I can't imagine wearing jeans under riding pants. I'd sweat to death.

I wear C3 Athletic shorts and shirts under my riding gear in summer. Ultra lightweight and breathable. In the winter or colder months I wear the Cycle Gear Freeze out gear, pants, top and balaclava.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I wear Under Armour HeatGear in the warm weather and Under Armour ColdGear when it's cold. Both are available in compression versions. Can't imagine wearing jeans underneath any riding suit.

Haynes

·
Registered
'16 FJR 1300, '98 Shadow VT1100T
41 Posts
I dont wear a full riding suit but now and then wear Tour Master Riding pants.. guess I'm going to re-think my clothes when I get out this season. Thanks guys. I guess I never really thought about wearing shorts under.. it never occurred to me. I guess the idea of 'shorts' on a motorcycle doesnt sit well in my head.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Along with 'most comfortable' also consider how you anticipate the ride going. An hour or so ride to meet some friends, lunch and maybe a walk-around and then a ride home might call for different layering than ten hours in the saddle with a few roadside stops for snacks. My full Roadcrafter is great for slipping on and off in seconds and then being able to enjoy some time off the bike. However LD Comfort or HeatGear and riding boots is not a pretty look (on me) when walking into a restaurant or sitting on a ferry for two hours. In such cases I might consider something like lightweight Columbia pants underneath or choose my AD-1s which are comfortable enough to stay on throughout the day. IOWs no right or wrong answer, whatever makes you comfortable.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I couldn't stand jeans under my Aerostich suit. I wear lighter fleece sweatpants under there. Ehh, I'm going to look silly anyway.

·
Registered
2013 FJR 1300A, Tesla Model 3
18 Posts
Been wearing Olympia Motorsports Airglide4 pants for three years. They offer great protection and come off in 30 seconds with the full length side zippers. Airglide 6 are out now, might be time for an upgrade.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Been wearing Olympia Motorsports Airglide4 pants for three years. They offer great protection and come off in 30 seconds with the full length side zippers. Airglide 6 are out now, might be time for an upgrade.
Those sound like overpants....

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,272 Posts
I wore Airglides for years, I wouldn't call them overpants. My strategy is if it was going to be cooler I wore long LD Comfort base layer or breathable W&S heated pants liner (option to plug in). If really cold, wore rain pants over to block the wind. FroggToggs work if you like. Current pants are X-Moto, convertible and solid fabric with the vent panels zipped up, can eliminate the rain pants scenario almost.

Same strategy with the jacket, used to have Airglide, currently have Olympia Dakar, lots of mesh for most riding, breathable W&S heated jacket liner if cooler, if cold, plug in and can use the Olympia wind liner, or if really cold, rain jacket over top. This is my 4-season wear, don't have to pack a lot or keep extra pants/jackets for anything in particular. Some of my riding trips out west have had temperatures ranging from 40F in the mountains to 107F in the Utah heat, so you need versatility......

Inner liners are kinda useless to me unless for jacket. I'm not wanting to pull off my pants to change liners....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I tried the Sedici Marco on today in XL. Very comfortable! I’d be getting this in grey to match my 2015, but same suit. $375 and i could have top/bottom + a nice back protector.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Those sound like overpants....
I wouldn't call them "overpants" either, has some already stated. I like them because they are so versatile. In the summer I wear shorts or nothing underneath depending on level of heat. When you get somewhere it takes 30 seconds or less to remove and you can walk around in regular clothe. The liner that comes with them are nice too, they cut the wind very well in rain or cold situation and can be worn either on the inside or as I prefer on the outside, also very quick to put on and take off. We are all diverse and enjoy various styles of gear /equipment. It took me two years to discover this pants.
Happy riding

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have a set of icon overlord pants, which are over pants. I normally keep them in one of the bags just in case it rains I don't normally wear anything more than some dtc pants for everyday but I have a day at ZARS next Sunday so I was at cycle gear today prepared to get some sedici alexis pants, but the rear is so low that I thought my crack would be hanging out when sitting. Wound up with some aStar wake air pants that fit better. They call them over pants but I can't imagine putting them on over anything but some thin shorts. As far as what to wear under them - underwear :)

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Blazing heat and 30's & 40's?
You won't find comfort in any riding gear in these extremes.
I dunno'. I have Tourmaster mesh: Sonora jacket, Venture pant. With a Frogg Togg rainsuit for an overgarment, I am comfortable, well, for certain values of "comfort", down to about 35F, and I have ridden through Utah in July when the FJR thermometer indicated 117F. That trip, I had on an UnderArmor long sleeved T-shirt, and I stopped about every hour to wet down. Wasn't a lot of fun, but it wasn't that bad.

If I lived farther north, I'd have heated underwear. In north Texas, though, I just don't spend much time riding below 45F or so, and 100F is little more than a normal summer day.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I wouldn't call them "overpants" either, has some already stated. I like them because they are so versatile. In the summer I wear shorts or nothing underneath depending on level of heat. When you get somewhere it takes 30 seconds or less to remove and you can walk around in regular clothe. The liner that comes with them are nice too, they cut the wind very well in rain or cold situation and can be worn either on the inside or as I prefer on the outside, also very quick to put on and take off. We are all diverse and enjoy various styles of gear /equipment. It took me two years to discover this pants.
Happy riding
I took a look online at the Airglide series. They do seem pretty versatile. Not sure they are the coolest LOOKING gear but they seem pretty functional. Will definitely consider. Do they fit true to shirt and pant size?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took a look online at the Airglide series. They do seem pretty versatile. Not sure they are the coolest LOOKING gear but they seem pretty functional. Will definitely consider. Do they fit true to shirt and pant size?
The pants fit the same has regular pants

21 - 40 of 40 Posts