FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored the matching AGV leather jacket to my leather riding pants late last year on ebay, and they are both discontinued now, so I'm pretty happy about that find, but I'm in the market for some textile "travelin" pants and its not been easy to find what I want yet. I plan to buy a rain suit separately, so if I'm out on a trip, I can pull over...pull out of a case and just throw it on.....so this mean the pants being waterproof means very little to me, especially since that generally means hotter. My home base is in GA, so naturally I need them to be good in the summer heat, spring and autumn cool. I don't plan on traveling in the winter on the bike ever, but you can always throw on thermals for that. I like my AGV jacket so much I will probably wear it touring...so leather top, textile bottom. Any suggestions/personal experiences with a great pair of touring pants you can wear in the blazing heat, but also in the cold (40's MAYBE very high 30's)? Klim makes some real sick stuff but it's very expensive and I don't want to pay extra for "waterproof". I love that adventure/touring look where they are black/light gray/almost white.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Blazing heat and 30's & 40's?
You won't find comfort in any riding gear in these extremes.
Klim would be your best option for multi season.
For blazing heat, I bought a pair of Dainese drake air pants. Very comfortable, even with my "pear shape".
Try a few different brands on, if possible. See what's comfortable.

Reactions: AtlRiderrr

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Tourmaster fan here. A middle of the road product in quality and price. I think I have 3 pairs of their textile pants. One for summer, one for winter and one that is a jean type pant they don't make anymore. My summer pair is a Caliber 2.0. I would consider it good from 40-85 degrees. Over that I'm switching to a pair of armored jeans and textile vented jacket and mesh backed gloves.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an old Alpinestars Air Flo jacket...its mesh but came with a solid wind breaking cold weather liner......that with a thermal underneath was pretty darn warm in the winter. Maybe I need to get mesh/textile blend with a removable liner...keep it simple.

·
Registered
2013 FJR 1300A, Tesla Model 3
18 Posts
Olympia AirGlide 4 or newest 6. Full Zipper on both sides. Pants go on and off in 30 seconds. Great protection. I brings a wind /waterproof liner.
Been using these pants for 3 years, love them.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I live just up the road near Chattanooga and have Summer and a 3 Season set for the rest of the year. Have Olympia which is not very expensive but not great padding and upgraded to a Klim for winter but doesnt fit my long legs the best. A lot of good stuff out there and depends on $$$ put into it and body size. Good luck on the hunt for gear.
What part of Ga. are ya in?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live just up the road near Chattanooga and have Summer and a 3 Season set for the rest of the year. Have Olympia which is not very expensive but not great padding and upgraded to a Klim for winter but doesnt fit my long legs the best. A lot of good stuff out there and depends on $$$ put into it and body size. Good luck on the hunt for gear.
What part of Ga. are ya in?
Lol...i assume you are being a funny guy, since my name is AtlRider😆

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or if you like lowsiding off canyons with no guard rails, there’s always “parachute pants”🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
269 Posts

I bought a pair of these and for the under $50 that I paid, they seem to be of shockingly good quality.

Only downside is they were out of stock most sizes, I purchased up one size as these are to be my summer wear, and will just pull over whatever shorts I am wearing, and the length was a bit off, only in terms of where the knee CE padding is. So when I have them on, whether standing or sitting, the pad is 2-3 inches low and not covering my kneecap.

Sizes currently left over are mostly in the "husky" range, so may not be able to find your size.

·
Registered
355 Posts
AtlRiderrr:

I have an Aerostich Transit 2-piece waterproof leather suit, a KLIM Badlander jacket and pants suit, and a pair of KLIM Latitude pants. I wear the Badlander set when I'm riding my Super Tenere and the Aerostich suit or the KLIM Latitude pants with the Aerostich or KLIM jacket when I'm riding my FJR. I buy waterproof riding gear as I find rain suits a pain to put on and I never put them on soon enough: it's much easier to put a rain suit on before it starts to rain, but I'm a slow learner. Also, unless you buy an expensive rain suit, aka Gore-Tex or similar, I've found that suits that are waterproof tend to make me overheat. Kind-of like wearing a baggie. If you're buying an expensive rain suit why not just opt for an expensive Gore-Tex riding suit?

The above is a longish way of saying that I recommend KLIM Latitude pants: Gore-Tex waterproof, D3O armour, vents on the front and back of the thigh, and a 5 year accident warranty. They're expensive ($500-520USD) but in my opinion, worth the expense.

Haynes

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AtlRiderrr:

I have an Aerostich Transit 2-piece waterproof leather suit, a KLIM Badlander jacket and pants suit, and a pair of KLIM Latitude pants. I wear the Badlander set when I'm riding my Super Tenere and the Aerostich suit or the KLIM Latitude pants with the Aerostich or KLIM jacket when I'm riding my FJR. I buy waterproof riding gear as I find rain suits a pain to put on and I never put them on soon enough: it's much easier to put a rain suit on before it starts to rain, but I'm a slow learner. Also, unless you buy an expensive rain suit, aka Gore-Tex or similar, I've found that suits that are waterproof tend to make me overheat. Kind-of like wearing a baggie. If you're buying an expensive rain suit why not just opt for an expensive Gore-Tex riding suit?

The above is a longish way of saying that I recommend KLIM Latitude pants: Gore-Tex waterproof, D3O armour, vents on the front and back of the thigh, and a 5 year accident warranty. They're expensive ($500-520USD) but in my opinion, worth the expense.

Haynes
I’d consider paying that much for a matching suit such as the Sedici Aventura etc, but for just pants that’s kinda crazy to me. The only way I’d go with waterproofing being built into the suit, is if it’s it’s not a separate layer you have to put in... the waterproofing would have to be just built into the outer layer, and it would have to be well vented for the heat. Otherwise putting in a rain layer on the side of the road is just a harder version than putting a rain suit on.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I’d consider paying that much for a matching suit such as the Sedici Aventura etc, but for just pants that’s kinda crazy to me. The only way I’d go with waterproofing being built into the suit, is if it’s it’s not a separate layer you have to put in... the waterproofing would have to be just built into the outer layer, and it would have to be well vented for the heat. Otherwise putting in a rain layer on the side of the road is just a harder version than putting a rain suit on.
I agree with all your points: cost, no separate layers, well vented.

Also, you'd really dislike paying in Canadian dollars: the Latitude pants are $705CAD.

Haynes

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with all your points: cost, no separate layers, well vented.

Also, you'd really dislike paying in Canadian dollars: the Latitude pants are $705CAD.

Haynes
Are the KLIMs built in or layered? I am usually pretty good at finding deals on eBay etc etc

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Just picked up a pair of used Klim Badlands off Craigslist for $250.
Watch Advrider flea market for good deals on used gear. If it's a popular size, you have to strike like a cobra.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,279 Posts
I think it depends where you go riding.... southern heat, I can't do Klim, never enough venting. Did not enjoy Latitude jacket at all over 75F.
My current pants, Olympia XMoto, convertible with large open vents on upper thighs in the heat. Not totally waterproof but I've ridden in the light/medium rain and didn't get wet. In the hot stuff bearable... If it's really wet then I'd pull on some rain pants.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it depends where you go riding.... southern heat, I can't do Klim, never enough venting. Did not enjoy Latitude jacket at all over 75F.
My current pants, Olympia XMoto, convertible with large open vents on upper thighs in the heat. Not totally waterproof but I've ridden in the light/medium rain and didn't get wet. In the hot stuff bearable... If it's really wet then I'd pull on some rain pants.
That was my initial thought.... maybe mesh/textile blend with a cold weather liner. Then if it rains, a thin but quality rain suit... sure it will get stuffy, but if it’s just mesh underneath, and a Lycra base layer under that.. it can’t be THAT bad. When riding in a downpour, i doubt my thought process will be “I’m a bit stuffy in here “😆

·
Registered
355 Posts
Are the KLIMs built in or layered? I am usually pretty good at finding deals on eBay etc etc
Neither the Badlander nor the Latitude pants have "layers", meaning there is nothing to attach or remove. They are made with "Gore-Tex", which to my understanding is a waterproof membrane that is fused to the garments' material, in this case Cordura nylon. I wear a base layer of Under Armour HeatGear in the warm weather and Under Armour ColdGear when it's cold.

My aversion to rain suits is mostly due to having to stop and put it on. I'm from the North however I do understand your heat concerns. Perhaps if I lived in a warmer climate I would get used to occasionally having to don a rain suit. Probably better than overheating most of the time just to avoid doing the rain suit dance on the side of the road once in a while.😃

Haynes

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Neither the Badlander nor the Latitude pants have "layers", meaning there is nothing to attach or remove. They are made with "Gore-Tex", which to my understanding is a waterproof membrane that is fused to the garments' material, in this case Cordura nylon. I wear a base layer of Under Armour HeatGear in the warm weather and Under Armour ColdGear when it's cold.

My aversion to rain suits is mostly due to having to stop and put it on. I'm from the North however I do understand your heat concerns. Perhaps if I lived in a warmer climate I would get used to occasionally having to don a rain suit. Probably better than overheating most of the time just to avoid doing the rain suit dance on the side of the road once in a while.😃

Haynes
Its doubtful I’ll be wearing the touring stuff a lot, as I’m usually taking day trips as opposed to multi days trips... and for those i zip my two piece leathers together over a wicking base layer. Now THAT would be awkward to have a rain suit over..lol. If it rains when I’m in leathers i just let it happen and try to ride myself dry after. Although if the textile suit ends up being more comfortable and breathable, i could end up switching over.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts