FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of panniers but no key to unlock them. I would like to get a key for them. Do I go to a lock smith? Do I order a key from Yamaha? But how do you know what the key code is? I may like to have them keyed to the 06 I have ordered once it arrives. Long question made short. Anyone ever messed with getting a key for a pannier that did not come on your bike?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Do you mean that the panniers are actually locked shut, or just that you have no key to operate the lock?

If it's the latter, then it's very easy to remove the lock barrels from the side case. Just lift the lever that has the lock fitted in it and then undo the two security torx screws that fix the metal catch to the bottom of the lock barrel, and it should push out.
Once you've done that you can go for either of your options, locksmith or new barrels from Yamaha.

The key code will be with whoever owns the original bike they came from, but they may not want to give it to you as it's obviously the ignition key as well. Thought the 06 came complete with panniers?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are locked shut. The bike was totaled but the bags were not on it. I got the bags to paint (06 blue) and use as a traveling pair and save the new ones. Then I would have a spare set or use them if the traveling set got damaged. Or maybe sell them. I don't know yet. First I need to get them open. HELP?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Try the local locksmith anyway. If they are any good they should be able to pick the locks, as they aren't exactly high security.

Or, if you have a bit of spare time coming up over Christmas you could try using the info
Here
and
Here

1 - 4 of 4 Posts