FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After eighteen months and 22K miles the paint work on the shaft housing is in a very poor condition. Has anyone suffered a similar problem; if yes how did you effect a repair? Did you apply paint by a brush, spray paint, DIY or professional, type of paint, etc. Any advice would be welcomed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Flakey paint on shaft hub

MichaelB,

A few people have suffered flaking paint on the shaft hub, the finish aint that brilliant. Most owners have either re-sprayed or had the hub powder- coated,

Regards, Glenn 8)

·
Registered
721 Posts
If you are in the UK you are still in the warranty period so ask your dealer for a repaint under warranty. I literally got shafted because mine went just after the warranty ended so Yam would do nothing so I ended up getting mine repainted professionally. Yamaha only puts a single coat of gloss paint on so any stone chips and it is history quickly. Depending on where you are I may be able to lend you a spare hub I picked up off e-bay so you can stay on the road while yours is sorted. I'd want it back though just in case mine goes again and I will get it stripped fully and powder coated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ian, many thanks for your kind offer. I am not pursuaded to return it to Yamaha as the problem will still exist due to the poor quality of paint they employ. I am more inclined to follow the example Glenn quoted of having it powder coated. If anyone can point me towards an an idiots guide of what needs stripping from the hub and shaft housing prior to powder coating that would be appreciated.

As the roads are now liberally coated with salt the FJR is mothballed; I do not have the time to wash it down every evening.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Michael, you'll need a workshop manual for the instrucitons, don't remember seeing anyone putting instructions up for this. May still be worthwhile talking to Yamaha to see if they will pay for the stripdown and reassembly if you organise the powder coating. The man to speak to at Yamaha is Nick Girling as his is the final word.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Had mine replaced under warranty at about 18 months in

That is what it is there for. Get receipt for the work if it happens again throw the bike back at them and get it replaced again.

You'll have the devils own job getting the powder coating to match and the powder coaters will not be sympathetic as they only promise as close a match as they can, not as close as you think is right.

Of course you could remove the whole swinging arm and get it PC black.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had 02 final drive cover replaced twice under waranty,I have an 03 now brought second hand and it looks like its coverd in porridge.Front forks and silver wheels are not much better.
I prefered the black wheels on the 02 better for cleaning..Got to live with it for now as cant afford to repair,may try some hammorite paint as a temp move.
:oops:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Welcome to the site Jooshead you'll find a wealth of info here and enjoy. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
86 Posts
My second hand 03 was the same and my 06 is going the same way. Crap finish (like that on Givi racks.). Shame really, because apart from that the bike looks almost as good as new.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My '03 shaft housing has just gone the same way after jetwashing the paint off!! :(
I don't think I can be bothered to worry too much about it, as the rest of the bike is still fabulous and it ain't going to affect my enjoyment!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts