FJR Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of FZ-1 mirrors that I am planning to install on my beautiful RED 2014 FJR this Spring. I am considering painting them first to match
the rest of the RED on the fairing. Has anyone attempted this before and if so, how did it turn out?

· Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,471 Posts
I've got one that has a busted stud if you want to try it out on a junk mirror. It's a Yamaha mirror, not emgo

· Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got one that has a busted stud if you want to try it out on a junk mirror. It's a Yamaha mirror, not emgo
Thanks, Chuck. I may take you up on your offer, but won't until it warms up a bit. ;)

· Premium Member
2,334 Posts
Have not personally painted one but from my experience painting I would clean it VERY good with alcohol and then spray a coat of adhesion promoter before the color. I'm assuming you have Colorite paint and I'd have to ASSUME it's good for plastic.

Good luck with it, looking forward to see how they come out.

· Premium Member
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Whooshka - Yes, I have the three part Colorite kit that I attempted to use to paint a plastic insert on my Givi trunk. It didn't turn out so swell and I
ended up buying the Givi "red" insert instead. Also, the clear coat was pretty badly orange peeled. I am not a very proficient rattle can painter, that's
for sure!

I may chicken out and not paint them after all. Or I may take Chuck up on his offer and do a test painting on his busted stud mirror.
In any case, I will update the thread with my findings.

· Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,471 Posts
You have to wet sand that clear coat. It always seems to orange peel with spray cans.

· Premium Member
2,334 Posts
I'm not sure how wet sanding FZ1 mirrors will help. The mirrors do not have a smooth, but rather a textured surface. That clear coat would have to be laid down pretty thick.

· Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,879 Posts
I recently refurbed an FZ8 mirror, however, I was not painting it...... it had rash I filed smooth and sanded..... but here is what it looked like after sanding with 600 wet...... note textured areas outside of the sanded area, I had hit that with a heat gun prior.... yes I would wet sand to get rid of the texture and give the paint something to bite into.....
LOL, I just tossed two damaged beyond repair FZ1 mirrors.........

Plant Automotive tire Yellow Rim Material property

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.