FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
decided to go for an overngith ride to a mate's place and roll a few more k's on the clock, left Rocky at 10:13 am Friday with 953km on the clock and first service done and headed for Cooroy, Noosa about 500km away, rocky was 40 degrees when i left had a hot trip all the way down, temp gauge never went over 3 bars and rolled into Cooroy at 3:45pm stayed there over night (couple of beers or 3) and left around 11:30 or so saturday morning.
had a nice cool trip back up until halfway up and ran into a nasty storm. the lighting strikes were pretty close and i could not only hear the thunder and feel it thru the leathers. tucked in behind a semi doing about 60Km/h.
it was a hilly section where the storm was crossing and couln't find any place that i could safely stop without teh chance of somone hitting me or getting hit by the zappy stuff and turnin' into thin an crispy!
once i got thru that the rest fo the trip was uneventful and rolled back into rocky at 5:13pm with 2146km on the clock. Not a big ride by most guys standard but hey, it'll do me for a start!

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
I wonder how dangerous it really is to ride in lightning.

:)

·
Registered
425 Posts
lightning doesn't descriminate.......it just wants to go thru something.....that is the one thing on a trip that will stop me...

·
Registered
119 Posts
They say the odds are against being hit by lightning, but that's when compared to the world population in general. I wonder what the odds of getting hit are when you only look at the population of folks standing on top of hills when lightning strikes are occuring within say two miles or so?

Your fighter character, wearing field plate armour whilst standing knee deep in a pool of filthy water, recieves no saving throw against a blue dragon's lightning bolt attack.
(Yes, I was one of THOSE people) :lol:

·
Super Moderator
3,948 Posts
Some basic rules apply for all electricity. It'll seek the shortest path to ground. And, if the landscape is level, a bike can be the highest point for some distance. Add to the bike a comm antenna and you have a little more height to help shorten that path to ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts