FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have read my previous threads months ago, I’ve been critical of the changes Yamaha has done to the new 2006 model. I remember someone calling it a slippers and pipe bike. And I still agree. And some of you who have your manhood still in tact who feel the same way have spoken out as well. After looking closely at the new offers available this year, KAWzx14, BMW KS1200, and… I’ve come to realize that Yamaha was on the right path with the introduction of its sport tour FJR in 2003. For this I commend Yamaha for the balls to produce a machine with style, touring comfort, handling and speed. Yamaha stepped up to the plate and ignored the tendency to offer a café race style ¼ mile take all machine. Instead Yamaha initially seemed to focus on the excitement of have a sport bike with the capability of long distance touring in mind. Imagine riding 600 to +800 mile days and have the ability to run the canyon trails with the best of them - Outstanding. But somewhere over the years thereafter the Yamaha engineers put on this extra weight, brake gizmo’s, clutch less, swing arm extended features etc… Oh ya thank you for fixing the heat but the weight to power ratio just got worse. Quite frankly this is missing the mark. I’m thankful for Yamaha taking the lead 2001 -2003 and hope market share data and feedback has the result of re-focusing their attention back to the customer base they began to build and hence having the balls again to go after the BIG potential market of the “sport/tourer” with emphasis on “SPORT”. Yamaha – you’re the only one who can do it. The others still don’t get it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Intuit:
I like the changes of the 06 thats why I have one ordered.
I find it interesting that the determining factor of what is a good motorcycle or motocycle manufacturer to you, is genitals or lack thereof.
I said it before and I'll say it again,
If you want a sport bike then buy a R1
Twister
________

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
twister said:
I like the changes of the 06 thats why I have one ordered.
Me too. I can't wait for the big blue pig to get here. This little yellow thing doesn't tour nearly as well and it's going to get me into trouble with the law.

·
Registered
426 Posts
After giving the '06 a close look at the show in Minneapolis I feel that although the bike may run cooler and without a tick, the asthetics of the FJR reached its peak with the '04 model and is now on a downhill slide. The gaping holes in the fairing to facilitate airflow are quite unappealing to my eye and there is something less graceful about the instrument panel. And while the luggage rack is now a flat platform that makes mounting a trunk plate easier, it is by itself non-functional; there is still no place to attach a strap or bungee.

Given the present choice of the 4 American model years to choose from, if I buy another FJR it will be another 2004. Performance differences are little to none, so it is more important to me to base my selection on sex appeal. And buying an affordable used bike would allow me to paint it some color other than a version of silver or blue.

It will certainly be interesting to read the mag reviews of the '06, I wonder if it will get the gaga response and high ratings the earlier models got. The FJR is still an FJR but shaft drive aside, there is more competition than there was in 2002. The reviews I will read from owners on this forum will of course be taken more seriously than what I read in the magazines. I will also be guaging 20v's toothy grin when I catch up to him at the next junction. :D

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
amain said:
the asthetics of the FJR reached its peak with the '04 model and is now on a downhill slide........I will also be guaging 20v's toothy grin when I catch up to him at the next junction
LOL!! Purely objective analysis on the styling I'm sure!! "Gaping holes," I guess it's not real sexy like a.....V-Strom???? :lol:

I'll be grinning allright. Everyone has been taking shots at one aspect or another of the '06 without so much as sniffing a ride report. Making judgements about a new bike from the brochure from one's alleged knowledge of things is pure folly. If you look at the R1's "new for '06" bits some of the geniuses here would say it's taken a step backwards because the frame has less torsional rigidity and it'll be slow to turn because it, like the FJR, has a longer swingarm. Too bad the winner of the last two Moto GP titles knows less about chassis dynamics than some of the regular joes on this board.

I'll go out on a limb and guess my new '06 won't slow me down or make me sad. Now that the garage is a bit more balanced, I really look forward to the place the '06 FJR has landed. 8)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Changes in 06 FJR

Amain and in2it,
You guys must be some kind of super engineers judging from all of the conclusions you have arrived at without test riding the 06. What balls have to do with bikes eludes me, especially seeing as how we do most all of our riding on public roads. Usually when I hear people talk like you guys it tells me you are the ones unsure of your manhood. Who are you trying to impress here anyway? It's real simple, if you don't like something don't buy it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Stoney, you're certainly a piece of work! Just what does test riding an '06 have to do with my opinion of its aesthetics? And no, I'm not an engineer, never said I was. But I've owned 2 FJRs; how many have you owned, Newbie? I was merely giving my opinion after having seen it and sat on it. Can't give an opinion here anymore unless it agrees with yours? Welcome to the Stoney FJR Tight-ass Don't-forget-your-blinders Forum everybody!

The only thing you said that made sense is "It is real simple, if you don't like something don't buy it." Couldn't agree with you more. I looked it over, sat on it, didn't like it, and I'm not buying it. Same process I used when I shopped several other bikes before I bought my FJRs. Excuuuse me for thinking this forum was a place to post an opinion, it's obvious YOU only post facts. :roll:

·
Registered
426 Posts
20 Valves, you don't think my V-Strom is sexy? (gasp!!!)

"You cut me, Shrek! You cut me deep!"

When you get your '06, drape her in an evening gown and we'll put her next to the picture I have of my '04 in a little sequined strapless number and THEN we'll see what's sexy, mister! :shock:

(Oops! Perhaps I've said too much...)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
amain said:
20 Valves, you don't think my V-Strom is sexy? (gasp!!!)
"You cut me, Shrek! You cut me deep!" When you get your '06, drape her in an evening gown and we'll put her next to the picture I have of my '04 in a little sequined strapless number and THEN we'll see what's sexy, mister! :shock: (Oops! Perhaps I've said too much...)
No, the V-Strom is not sexy. Fast, comfy and incredibly versatile, but not sexy.

I better look at the FJR brochure again, you saw a lot more differences in the appearance than I did! I sat on one in Fort Worth and really like the color, ergos and new dash. The one thing I did not like was the luggage rack. For all the work Y did to make the rest of the bike look high quality (successfully imho), the rack looks poorly finished, mainly the paint looked uneven. Maybe the production versions will be better. I'll know soon!

Oh, and it sounds like you have a better dress collection than I do as well!! :lol:

Maybe I'll bring the R1 in its itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny, yellow bumblebee bikini. 8)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the engineering comments are aimed at me, amain. Okay, I’ll take my Kmart engineering degree with me and wait till more reader reviews come out over time. You see, I like the bike – just don’t like the changes they made. That was a good one bounce – you got me on that one.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think the engineering comments are aimed at me, amain.
Probably but if Stoney is that poor an aim he should go quail hunting in Texas.

The one thing I did not like was the luggage rack. For all the work Y did to make the rest of the bike look high quality (successfully imho), the rack looks poorly finished, mainly the paint looked uneven. Maybe the production versions will be better.
Yeah, that rack stuck out like a sore thumb. The finish looked so bad I wondered if it was some kind of rock-guard or spray-on bedliner stuff made to be more durable. Hope they come off the production line looking better than their display. And would it kill 'em to put a couple of bungee hooks or something on it? Sheesh!!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
amain said:
The finish looked so bad I wondered if it was some kind of ........ spray-on bedliner stuff
That's a great idea! If the delivered bike comes out with the bad paint job on the rack, I think I'll cover the "load area" with that spray on liner stuff. I got it in my truck bed and it's easy to clean yet still has enough tack on the surface to be grippy.

Ya know Amain, you're a regular genius! :D

[gratuitous political rejoinder]

Any chance we could get Kerry to go on Cheney's next hunting sorti? :twisted:

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
20valves said:
Any chance we could get Kerry to go on Cheney's next hunting sorti? :twisted:
I got a really cold sweat while quail hunting once, when I almost shot a buddy's prized hunting dog.

A covey had flushed, which is a very fast, surprising and rather loud rush. And I was leading my bird with the barrel... but I didn't notice that the dog, spotting a rabbit, had broken into a run in a tangent direction... and after I got the bird and lowered the barrel, there was rover running 3-feet under the flight line of the bird. I checked the dog over, thinking there certainly must be a couple pieces of shot in him, but he didn't have a scratch. The dog's owner wasn't mad, because really it was the dog's fault, but I still felt pretty weak in the knees about it.

It showed me that when I'm doing that 'lead the bird by 4-feet' thing, my peripheral vision is bupkis.

(I don't know if that's what happened in Cheney's incident, but... it does seem pretty stupid that his office didn't just shoot out a statement about it - get it, shoot out... oh, never mind :roll: )

:)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
but I still felt pretty weak in the knees about it.
I've been peppered before but it was at about75 yards. Stung bad but no real injury.

So my dealer called and my FJR's here! Just kdding, trying to recover the thread.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ya know Amain, you're a regular genius!
Why, yes! Yes I am!!
When I was preparing my '03 for sale, I noticed a couple of large rub marks in the paint from my add-on luggage rack. Not wanting to pay for a repaint or even a replacement, I took the stock rack to Line-X who had just sprayed my truck and the guy did the rack for free. Looked great having a black rack on the '03; the industrial-looking finish indicated it really meant business. Be sure to mask off anything you don't want sprayed though as it is a real bear to scrape off mounting holes and such. Always figured that rock-catching chin fairing would probably end up at Line-X eventually too.

Any chance we could get Kerry to go on Cheney's next hunting sorti?
Absolutely!! But Kerry gets the gun and Boom-Boom can flush this time. :crylarf:

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
I have a friend with a KTM adventure bike and he treated several parts of the potential fairing crash points wit the stuff and it looks good, looks factory and is very durable.

They now have the stuff in a can at the O'Reilly's auto parts, btw.

And hey, let's not let the "genius" thing go to your head. :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think the changes to the 06 are the next step in its ongoing evolution. I actually think the styling is more aggressive then the older models, the saddle's design is much nicer, and the instrument panel gives it an heir of sophistication that it was lacking before? Anyway, I bought an 06 mostly because of the air flow upgrades. And those huge holes that were mentioned before, I think those holes will make it easier to mount goodies like, frame sliders. As far as the weight to power issues is concerned, is it really going to be that big of a deal? I have ridden my buddies 03 several times and I wonder if it will feel that much different. Just my opinion. Can't wait till later this month/early next month to pick up my new ride

1 - 20 of 20 Posts